• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

getting dentures at 23 years old

GLOBBY...now thats one way of counting down :)
I have mine tomorrow morning :)
Marcelle

Great idea, Globby!

I hope you're still feeling better?

Yah, ceilo, i'm feeling better.

Only problem is when food gets stuck in a hole of what's left of a tooth going down to the root, but i find vigorously swishing water helps to dislodge it, and then using a dental pick to "scoop" it out helps, then swishing mouthwash or water to help with the irritation caused by the food that was stuck works well.

I just wish the extractions were sooner XD

Yah, ceilo, i'm feeling better.

Only problem is when food gets stuck in a hole of what's left of a tooth going down to the root, but i find vigorously swishing water helps to dislodge it, and then using a dental pick to "scoop" it out helps, then swishing mouthwash or water to help with the irritation caused by the food that was stuck works well.

I just wish the extractions were sooner XD

I'm glad you've worked out a system that helps a little.
I wish your appointment was sooner, too. :cry:

As i just posted in Cielo's journal, I'm starting to kinda like the fact that mine isnt for another 15 days, 5 hours and 32 minutes (yes, i do get a kick out of my cellphone's countdown feature XD)

Throughout my time here, i've been able to read everyone's experiences at different points throughout the process of getting and/or getting used to their new dentures (full and partials, even implants)

Also, i realized, i know Sally, Marna, and Marcelle's names, and yet, no one knows mine yet LOL.

Now, i'm a little afraid to do this because i'm afraid people may think i've led them on by not correcting them when they refer to me as "she" (in which is the normal thing to assume being as i mentioned my boyfriend), but Actually, i'm a guy named Tim

Hi, Tim!

I like your countdown, too. :)

Fifteen days sounds like quite a ways off yet, but it'll go faster than you think. I'm glad you're looking forward to getting things straightened out. It makes things so much easier to keep a good attitude going into it.

I have to admit, when you first posted I did think you were a woman. But when I saw your photos, I thought, "Oh, I hope that's a man." :giggle:

There's nothing to be afraid of, and I'm glad you officially "introduced" yourself. :jump:

Nice to meet you, Tim! I don't know why but I did think you were a guy anyway....maybe it was the facial hair in your pics? :)
You're right....we're all in different stages on this journey.
When I started lurking on this site over a year ago, I rarely came across any posts about getting dentures.
Maybe I was still 'in denial' because I didn't even SEARCH for info here regarding dentures.
I just wanted to know how others overcame their fear of dentists.
Then when I did start posting here about 6 weeks ago, I didn't think it would hurt using my first name.
We'll be counting down right along with you.
The next two weeks are going to fly by waaaaaay too fast!
You'll be ok as long as you get things in order before your big day (foods you'll need, any meds your dentist will prescribe, ice bag or bags of frozen peas in case you have any swelling).
Reading here will give you an idea of what might help.
And you already know that you're NOT alone so feel free to ask any questions that come up.
Best of luck, Tim!

Sally

Hi Tim!!!

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck and welcome you to our group! I hope all works out well for you..but I already know it will.
There is a great group of people on here as a support group so we will help you thru everything!!

Hi Tim

Your story is really moving, you have been through a lot. Lets hope that its upwards and onwards from now on! I hope things go well when your extraction day comes. Everyone will be here to cheer you on! The others have been through it all, I haven't, just one out so far and another in a bit over a month and no dentures so won't have much advice really but I still like to give support as I have found others support so useful for want of a better word!

I though you were a girl too.....I skipped through the pics as I can't bear to look at any sort of teeth pictures (still!) so didn't pick up on the facial hair clue like the others!

As the extraction date moves closer and closer, i'm finding i'm getting more and more scared about the fact that i'll be going 7 weeks ATLEAST, with no teeth... At 23, this is something i'm not looking forward to, especially with the fact that i work in customer service at a local blockbuster in a college town... so many arrogant, ignorant college kids who will undoubtedly be cracking jokes about my toothless ness.

I'm half tempted to go out and buy those fake rubber teeth that fit around your teeth and gums and use them while at work XD:ROFLMAO:

Now would be the time to shop for the rubber teeth with Halloween approaching! You could choose from the vampire fangs, the buck teeth or the Billy Bob look! :giggle:

I understand your apprehension at going toothless for so long. There are both pros and cons to it, though. Have you talked to your dentist any more about immediates? My dentist would have preferred I waited six months, but he knew not to push it. He explained the benefits and left it up to me to decide.

Hey, you could grow your beard and mustache out... that would help distract from it. You know, go for the Amish look. LOL

With winter coming, you could sport a stylish scarf and tuck your chin down into it to talk. It could pose as mask and fashion statement all in one! :p

Or, you can face the world (and your customers) with the bravery you've shown here and not be ashamed that you've taken the steps necessary to protect your health. The people that know you will understand and appreciate what you've been through. Those that don't, and are willing to pass judgement on somebody for something so trivial - well, those people really don't matter much in the big scheme of things, do they?

Just be friendly, kind and helpful at work, and your customers won't be able to resist you, teeth or no teeth. It sounds like a long time, but at your age, it's just a drop in the bucket toward a lifetime of health and a whole new smile. :hug2:

Could you let your dentist know your concern perhaps? They do make immediate dentures that are place in immediately after extractions. I went with that option so I didn't have to be that long without teeth.

Unfortunately, they dont offer immediates at the local dental clinic, and with the fact that they cant do impressions of my teeth, even if they could i think it would be an issue.

Who will be doing your permanent dentures, Globby? I'm still getting used to all the specialization that's out there. I'm used to my dentist of 20 years that does it all right there in his office. He does send the impressions out to a lab to have appliances made, but he's been wanting to build his own lab so he can do that, too.

Have you talked to your dentist about maybe going to a denture clinic as soon as your gums are healed enough to take impressions? I had mine done at two weeks. They could make a temporary denture to tide you over until your seven months (did I get that right?) is up, then re-base them as permanents.

I'm in no way saying you SHOULD, just making a suggestion in case that long wait with no teeth is unacceptable to you. I still think if you can wait it out, you'll be happier.

Less than two weeks to go! :jump:

two weeks and counting for you :) You will do great! Ya know what..all there was to fear was fear itself. We all hate the unknown especially when its going to be us going thru it.
I can actually say mine surgery..mind you I said surgery..was a breeze :) and I used only ONE pain pill after getting home and now if need i use advil...but I think I'v only had one of those but that was for my face and not the mouth.
Good luck and we're all here for you!!!!
Marcelle

12 days, 16 hours and 32 minutes remaining!

Now if i can just figure out how to get rid of these lingering symptoms of a cold by then, i've had the cold for a week, took plenty of sudofed and musinex but it seems that i still have an itchy throat, a sneeze and other minor symptoms. I'm thinking that the cold hit the same time as allergies so maybe i should start taking clariten XD

GLOBBY...I was so worried about getting sick..one time I thought I was getting a sore throat..I did not want anything to interfere with my surgery..
Get well soon..rest!
Marcelle

Have you talked to your dentist about maybe going to a denture clinic as soon as your gums are healed enough to take impressions? I had mine done at two weeks. They could make a temporary denture to tide you over until your seven months (did I get that right?) is up, then re-base them as permanents.
:jump:

It's 7 weeks, thank god, i couldnt go 7 months toothless, i'm already starting to crave real solid food without the fear of pain XD.

As for talking to the dentist, the only person i've been able to talk to is the (rather rude) receptionists, and they wont tell me anything more than "they'll tell you where to go and when after they pull your teeth"

none of it made much sense, but pain free's good enough for me for now.

But for christmas, if i dont have perminant dentures by then, i'll be rewriting "All i want for christmas is my 2 front teeth" to "all i want for christmas is a full set of teeth":ROFLMAO:

:oops: Thank you for correcting that. BIG difference! I guess I had it stuck in my head that I'll get my permanents in seven months (from D-Day) due to the insurance resetting for the year.

Seven weeks is MUCH better. ;D Heck, you can mumble through that no problem, right? :p

You should be able to talk directly to the dentist. You deserve to speak with him and have your questions answered. I do understand about being happy with the prospect of being pain-free!

Love the song idea. :giggle: And I'm glad to see you're keeping such a good attitude through all of this. That'll help a great deal in healing.

Keep it up! I enjoy reading your journal, btw. :hug2:

I am 29 and have to get dentures, I really should have got them years ago.... Just tryen to hold on to whats mine I guess, :giggle: I just wanted to say that I think your a brave man! And I wish you the very best of luck! I have started a journal about my denture adventure! hope you read!!!

Back