• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

getting dentures at 23 years old

I'm starting to think about possibly getting a doctors mask thingy to wear for the first couple days back at work to save my own embarrassment and possible customer based discomfort. Maybe, wear the mask during times when i see jerks walk into the store and not wearing it when the stores almost empty with few customers, especially regulars that know about my procedure.

Started taking my claritin today to be on the safe side because i'd be devistated if they think i have a cold and refused to do the procedure on the 6th, i cant wait any longer and continue to keep this infection away until longer.

9 days and counting for you :)
I know how ya feel, did not want anything to interfere with mine too..we've all waited to long huh..
Huggers and I'm counting now for you :)
Marcelle

while reading one of the other journals, a new question popped to mind.... After getting your dentures, do you have to re-learn how to use eating utensils? I can just see it now, going to take a bite of something, and knocking out my bottom dentures with a fork LOL

Whelp, 8 days, 3 hours and 10 minutes to go... and that means, it's time for bed as it's 6:20am LOL

GLOBBY...I have hit myself once with my fork..you learn differently how to eat..for me that is..I can't use a spoon unless I turn it upside down. After 48 hours I was told I could use a straw..i kept hitting my uppers LOL.
You still use the fork the same just slower..I can't figure which is better to use..my lips or teeth in getting the food off the fork..but my pref. for now..FORK :)
You time is getting near and if I can do it..you will do it and do great :)
Marcelle

Yay, Globby! A week from tomorrow!

I like the mask idea. That's probably what I would do for work if I hadn't been able to get immediate dentures.

As for flatware, you'll probably have to get used to opening your mouth a little wider when taking a bite from a fork. I've hit my upper denture several times and now I'll turn my fork upside down when possible to avoid it. It's getting better, though. I've done the straw thing, too, jamming it against my teeth when my aim was off.

It's just something else to get used to, not a big deal.

Pain after extractions was surprisingly minimal for me, too. I was expecting much more. I bet you'll feel so much better once your teeth are gone. The best way I can describe it is that the pain from bad teeth is a "deep" pain that may or may not respond to pain medication. Pain from extractions is more of a "surface" discomfort that responds much better to medication. It's like comparing a sprained ankle to a hangnail on your toe.

Pain levels are very subjective, and hard for one person to describe to another, but hopefully that makes sense?

Eight days and counting!! :jump:

I am so excited for you Globby!!! I wish i was getting mine out in a week!!! It shouldnt be long now though!!!! You must be getting so nervous/excited.....

Stay strong my friend!!! you can do this!!!! I am here for ya if you ever wanna talk!!!!:jump:

I am so excited for you Globby!!! I wish i was getting mine out in a week!!! It shouldnt be long now though!!!! You must be getting so nervous/excited.....

Stay strong my friend!!! you can do this!!!! I am here for ya if you ever wanna talk!!!!:jump:

well' keep in mind i probably wont have dentures until around the 17th of november if I'm understanding the clinic correctly. Of which, I'm hoping is incorrect, hopefully, they'll get me some sort of temporary after a couple of weeks lol.

4 days, 17 hours and 14 minutes remaining!!

I'm liking using this countdown app on my phone to count down the minutes! Usually we'd still say it's 5 or 6 days away (depending on if you count today, and/or the 6th) but even though it's only showing a 7-31 hour difference right now (again, depending if you count today or the 6th), it feels like it's so much closer!:jump::yay::jump:

GLOBBY....how ya feeling as the day is getting nearer? You will do great..we're here for ya.
Hugs to ya
Marcelle

how am i feeling? that's a good question, Right now i wish I even knew LOL.

It's an overwhelming excitement, fear, happiness and an insatiable craving for FOOD!:ROFLMAO:

GLOBBY...I can understand the craving...boy can I :)
Your feelings/emotions will vary every day.
Can't wait till your time is at hand...we're a rootin for ya.
Marcelle

Hang in there, Tim!

D-day is coming quick, isn't it? :jump: You're going to be a whole new person, and I'm excited for you. The rollercoaster ride will continue, but will probably calm down just before your appointment. You've got nothing but GOOD to look forward to, so keep that in mind if and when the fear part creeps in.

Go to the light, Globby. Goooo to the light....
Sorry, I couldn't resist. :innocent:

Keep up the countdown! :hug2:

I'm talking to my grandmother now on facebook, who also had her teeth extracted and waited for the dentures. I mentioned the "making faces in the mirror with no teeth" and she laughed and admitted that she did it too, still does sometimes!

It's amazing how much the support here and from family can help!

WOOT, i've passed the 4 day mark!!!!
3 days, 18 hours and 12 minutes until E-Day!

Globby...I still make faces at myself when messing with my dentures :) It just freaks out my lil grandson. I tried to give him my lowers one night and he just took off LOL
Your time is at hand!!! I hope your work goes as great as mine..with my temps its till a learning journey.
Hugs
Marcelle

WOOHOO!!! Just under 46 hours to go!!!!

but unfortunately, i STILL have a lingering cough, anyone have any tips to get rid of it? lol

either way, im starting to get more excited about the procedure instead of nervous, but i'm sure that's bound to change as these last 46 hours tick away XD

Stoopid DSL cut out just as I hit reply on a fairly lengthy reply. :mad:

You're getting so close, Globby! You've got a long road ahead, but dang, it's so much better than living with painful teeth!

Make sure you get lots of rest and keep up the Ensure/Boost shakes. Get as much protein as you can for the next few weeks.

Don't worry about the cough. With the IV sedation, it shouldn't be a problem. I've coughed my way through several appointments without sedation, and it's really not an issue.

The worst part (the waiting) is almost behind you!!

:grouphug:

GLOBBY....ditto in what Cielo said :)
Your time is just at hand..I know you will do great.
Marcelle

appointment in 27 hours and 13 minutes.... i've been up for the past 21 hours because i tried to fix my sleep schedule so that i'll be sure to be awake in time to get to the appointment with plenty of time to spare... obviously it didnt work :(

The fear is starting to kick in

GLOBBY...I am thinking about you this morning. What time is your appt? You will be ok..I was scared to but I promise you'll do great...Post when you can and best wishes and just think about that great smile..
Many warm hugs on your day
Marcelle

Back