• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom teeth removal...

C

crazycatlady

I lived through a root canal although, I am brushing and flossing more than normal now because my biggest fear with this is that I will have to have another one....so I overbrush now which will destroy my enamel.

Having my wisdom teeth removed on the 22nd. Ive never had any type of general/twilight sleep so I dont know how my body will react. Scared crapless. Oral Surgeon told me no anti-anxiety meds 12 hrs before procedure....how the heck am I going to do this? I am more scared of the anesthesia than I am the pain afterwards. I can deal with the pain, just not the thought of losing control. So my question is, what is it like to be put out for twilight anesthesia? Do you just get really sleep and fall to sleep or what?

Hi I was just reading your post and I have recently posted on here as I have to have twlight sleep although didnt have a clue what it was. StressDoc posted back to me, which you can read below. Hope this helps!!

"I will give you a basic overview of IV sedation (Twilight Sleep.) it is a pain free process that works very quickly. Typically, you are given a pill the night before to help you sleep.

When you arrive at the office they will get you comfortable and set up some monitoring equipment, blood pressure, pulse oximetery and heart rate. They use these to monitor your level of sedation.

The IV is easy. A numbing cream is put on the site for the IV (Be sure to ask for it in advance). The IV device used is called a butterfly needle. They are very small gauge, I doubt you would feel it. IV's are not deep as opposed to IM (Intra Muscular) injections like antibiotics or tetanus.

The medication begins to work in under a minute. The next thing you will remember is waking up. The medications used cause you not to have any memory of the procedure. This type of sedation is very safe, much safer than GA.

You will do fine and will be surprised at how easy and pain free the procedure is. IV sedation is the platinum standard for dental work".

Sedation is not necessary for wisdom tooth operations. The procedure is possible to do with local anesthesia only or just a bit of anti-anxiety medication so that you are aware of everything. It will be painless anyway.

Well my removal is at 8am and I plan on taking Xanax the night before at 8pm....12 hours before procedure, should help me sleep and still help me get to the office...thanks for the post's. I hope it goes good....

When I had i.v sedation for getting my wisdom teeth removed, the feeling was really nice. After they put the i.v in, all of the sudden I felt very calm and sleepy and the next thing I remember was when it was all over.:cheers:

Hi-
I just had an extraction (last Thursday) and everything went great. I was OF COURSE SCARED OUT OF MY MIND before hand but that's me:p I always tend to blow things out of proportions when I'm nervous. I had good reason though because an oral surgeon I had seen had seen me and said he couldn't do it because my case was 'too complicated for him' so he referred me to another surgeon. I ended up finding a great oral surgeon on my own who said my case was in fact routine and not complicated at all:)

The actual day of the extraction I told him I was nervous and he said not to worry, he does this all the time. I chose IV sedation because I didn't want to see anything, hear anything, feel anything. So he hooked me up to the blood pressure machine, then to the iv, he warned me when he was about to put the needle (I guess he probably thought I feared needles but I actually don't, they don't scare me) so then he injects the anesthesia into the iv. I remember feeling really nervous one minute and then the next my mom was waking me up. I didn't feel a thing!! No pain whatsoever. The whole thing took less than 10 minutes according to her. Even when i woke up I didn't feel any pain. The location where the tooth was, was numb. I felt so great when I woke up, it was like waking up from a good nap. i didn't want to get up but my mother kept talking to me and talking to me so i had no choice:p

You will definetly need to bring someone with you though. I took a taxi home because i was in no mood to for the subway.

You will do great,:jump: trust me. I've heard wisdom teeth are a piece of cake for oral surgeons.

Hi-
I just had an extraction (last Thursday) and everything went great. I was OF COURSE SCARED OUT OF MY MIND before hand but that's me:p I always tend to blow things out of proportions when I'm nervous. I had good reason though because an oral surgeon I had seen had seen me and said he couldn't do it because my case was 'too complicated for him' so he referred me to another surgeon. I ended up finding a great oral surgeon on my own who said my case was in fact routine and not complicated at all:)

The actual day of the extraction I told him I was nervous and he said not to worry, he does this all the time. I chose IV sedation because I didn't want to see anything, hear anything, feel anything. So he hooked me up to the blood pressure machine, then to the iv, he warned me when he was about to put the needle (I guess he probably thought I feared needles but I actually don't, they don't scare me) so then he injects the anesthesia into the iv. I remember feeling really nervous one minute and then the next my mom was waking me up. I didn't feel a thing!! No pain whatsoever. The whole thing took less than 10 minutes according to her. Even when i woke up I didn't feel any pain. The location where the tooth was, was numb. I felt so great when I woke up, it was like waking up from a good nap. i didn't want to get up but my mother kept talking to me and talking to me so i had no choice:p

You will definetly need to bring someone with you though. I took a taxi home because i was in no mood to for the subway.

You will do great,:jump: trust me. I've heard wisdom teeth are a piece of cake for oral surgeons.

Hi there! I get my wisdom teeth out Friday and I'm also scared out of my mind. I'm getting an iv too. I'm not at all scared about the pain. My fear is waking up numb. I have an intense fear of my mouth/tongue being numb. Even orajel freaks me out and I have to wash it off. I've never had a cavity or work done so I don't know what it feels like. All I want to know is when youbwoke up how aware were you? People tell me I won't care or remember a thing until hours later and some say they were alert as soon as they woke up. I'm worried about having a massive panic attack when I wake up. Thanks for any input!

Back