Thread: Pain when biting but dentist can't find anything

Default Pain when biting but dentist can't find anything

I would rather not have a problem but I'm rather excited to finally have a question for one of our marvelous dentists. About a month ago I was eating roasted soy nuts and bit down to feel a twinge in my #30 molar. I didn't really notice any pain again until about a week later when I bit down while eating. The tooth is not painful to touch or brush and has no heat or cold sensitivity. It has no throbbing pain or anything other than an occasional twinge when I floss between those two teeth or bite down on anything harder than....let's say...pasta. I waited another week because of my anxiety and finally called to see the dentist. He was away so I didn't get in until this afternoon, two weeks later.

I had x-rays and an examination by the dentist and his assistant and they saw nothing wrong with the filling (large one) or the tooth. They both looked at the x-rays and my tooth for some time and said that they thought it may be a problem with a ligament and that it will soon go away. I was advised to continue to eat softer foods and/or avoid eating on that tooth and to call them if the pain doesn't go away or gets worse. My question is, how long is too long for a tooth to be sore upon biting? Have you ever encountered a situation where you can't find any problem whatsoever when the patient presents with pain?

It took a lot of courage for me to get there today and I almost feel a little let down that they see nothing wrong with the tooth or the dental work. On the other hand I was afraid I was going to need a crown or even worse, lose the tooth because of a fracture.

Thanks for your time and knowledge!!
      Pam

Default Re: Pain when biting but dentist can't find anything

hi
      usually if a pain hasn't settled in 2-3 weeks I would assume that something is going on that needs attention. obvioulsy if it gets worse, you would contact them.
      Yes- I have had a few occasions when it has been hard diagnosing what is causing the pain. it can be difficult if there have been sinus issues etc for example, or if the experience of pain is not located to a specific area and there are many heavily filled teeth.
      In your case- yes a bruised ligament is possible, and if this is the case it should calm down within a week or so.
      There are other possibilities- eg a fractured cusp. With a fractured cusp- the pain tends to be on releasing of pressure. You can test this yourself by biting on a cotton wool roll and then releasing the bite. If there is pain when you release- there may be a fractured cusp. It is straightforward to fix if this is the case- it woulkd just need the filling replaced or a crown etc.
      Hope this helps!
      regards
      Dr Mike
      Dr Mike Gow BDS (Gla) MFDS RCPS (Gla) MSc Hyp (Lon) PGCert (Edin)
      The Berkeley Clinic, Glasgow
      www.WhatFear.Com

Thanks Dr. Mike! I was convinced it was something along those lines but my dentist said that he saw nothing wrong and didn't want to replace the filling or do any other kind of work without knowing what the problem was. He said we should be conservative and for me to come back if things don't improve or get worse. I guess I'll give it a bit more time and keep my fingers crossed that things get better!!

I really appreciate you responding so quickly!

Pam

It is certainly wise to avoid traumatising the tooth further unless there is good idication to do so! Hope it feels better soon.
      Regards
      Dr Mike
      Dr Mike Gow BDS (Gla) MFDS RCPS (Gla) MSc Hyp (Lon) PGCert (Edin)
      The Berkeley Clinic, Glasgow
      www.WhatFear.Com

shalini rawat Guest

i feel same problem since last 2 month. i read your post and reply and i think may the i've same problem related to filling. well thanks