• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New and Need to address issue

Hey!

Good luck tomorrow! It will all be fine I'm sure. After it you will feel on top of the world, its like a big adrenaline rush! Every appointment is one step closer to getting over this fear and a step closer to a self confident big smile! ;D

Look forward to hearing how it goes!

Hi all, went to first appointment ..slowest walk i ever took, got into waiting room and was like a wreck inside...receptionist booked me in and said take a seat and was nice...my eyes were fixed on the door for what seemed like hours but after about 10mins it opened and the assistant said my name:o...I walked into a lovely surgery with a sofa to sit on instead of the chair at first..all my images of cold white painted rooms dissapeared...next i was greeted with a smile by a very friendly dentist..I said "I have gotta tell you I,m a nervous patient"...she smiled and said sit down and tell me why...wow, she listened and put me at ease saying that today she was only going to examine me and would talk me through everything before she did it..she was very gentle...I was still nervous but 70% less than 20mins before..
She informed me that I will need about 4 extractions some fillings, root work and a partial denture to replace my well worn out one.oh and a clean..
I told her I wanted everything putting right..she smiled and said that will not be a problem...Brill.
I know i have a long journey and I still have the treatment and think i will always be nervous when the dates come up...but with an understanding dentist like her the journey will be easier...I am possibly haveing 2 treatments a month due to the cost..but thats cool....
All I will say to anyone reading this who has their first step coming up is...Take that step...things have changed since the bad old days...talk to the dentist and explain your concerns...it works.....I am by no means fully cured of my phobia and may never be due to past adventures but this awesome site and the help of this lady is certainly a step in the right direction...
My next appointment is in 2 weeks I will keep you upto date and please feel free to ask questions about my first visit...
Thanks to all here who have helped me make this step..i can't thank you enough....cyber hugs to all....and a huge cyber party on me when its all done...:XXLhug:

Good to hear that the appt went well, Muso! :yay:
Having an understanding dentist makes all the difference in the world.
So glad to hear you've found one!

Sally

Great update, Muso! :jump:

Congrats on making it through and getting a plan in place. You're going to have a great new smile before you know it!

:hug2:

Great job Muso!

I sure hope the rest of your appointments are as successful as this one!!

Again you inspire me to move forward I will try and live up to your constant help and advice..:XXLhug:

Again you inspire me to move forward I will try and live up to your constant help and advice..:XXLhug:

Isnt this forum amazing at doing that to people!

I dont think i would have had the full nerve to go in and get all my teeth pulled like i did if it wasnt for this forum.

It was the same with me, globby. I put it off for at least 8 yrs. I would still be hurting if I didn't get the encouragement I needed from everyone here. I will forever be grateful to everyone here.... :hug2:

Sally

Hi Muso,
Just wanted to add my two cets to what the others have said. I think Fat Cat said , we are all on different stages of our dental journey and this is incredibly valuable because it allows us to encourage each other.
Like so many of the people here, Ifound this site when I was just beginning my dental journey. I was utterly terrified and desperately looking for someone to understand. The support and encouragement I have found here has made an enormous difference for me and it will for you too.
One of he many pearls of wisdom I have found here comes from Stress Doc who told me that avoiding what we fear only makes the fear grow bigger. When we take charge of our fear and show it who's boss, the fear shrinks until one day, its gone.
Please do let us know how it goes with you and know that all of us are here to cheer you on all the way! :)

Hi my friends:), just a quick update which I enjoy doing because if it wasn't for you and your support My journey to get my teeth sorted may not have happened.

Today was my first proper vist for treatment. I arrived as usual feeling a bit uneasy and entered the treatment room where again i was put at ease by my new dentist..She told me of the results from the x.ray in an understanding and non condesending way...I understood exactly what I had to have done and she asked ME what I wanted douing first...Wow...I asked if she could do some fillings.

After an injection which was delivered with such expertise that I didn't even feel going in She set about doing 3 fillings (I will need 6 more)....I felt no pain at all and was put further at ease by some whitty banter between the Hygenist and the Dentist..+ the t.v was on:)...after about 20 mins it was done..

She explained that I will require 4 extractions, 2 of which I will have to have an incision in my gum...which although concerns me I feel that I have such trust in their technique It will go just as smooth I hope..She asked me what I would like doing next and I opted for the extractions to get them out of the way and start the gum healing and hardening process required for my new upper partial denture...Her Husband will be doing the removal.

So my next appointment "The Biggy" :hidesbehindsofa: ;D is in 2 weeks and probably again I will be nervous, probably even more so because of the extractions..but with dentists like these and the support of you great people I will march on...you are with me in my thoughts...thank you..

:XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug:

Hi again...last appointment was cancelled:( but have new one tomorrow..this is the biggy...extractions...quite nervous ...hope all goes well ...peace all

Last edited:
Hi Muso....if the nerves start jangling, just read some of the success stories posted here. That's what I did the night before I went in for 16 extractions. It gave me strength just knowing that others have gone thru it and survived. You're going to do just fine.... :)

Sally

Yay:jump:....big part over...had The 4 teeth removed and I just want to say that my memories of old are fading of horrible Dentisits....My new dentist did the job so profesionally and with humour I was at ease throughout and was so happy I could have jumped for joy..absalutely No pain:jump:and no after bleeding..all I have to do is eat soup and mash for a while which I can live with..I am well on my way to my goal..I have a few more visits after crimbo and then a rest for my healing before my new denture...

I can not believe things have changed so much I almost feel silly for not going earlier but Hey I do have a phobia....or did;)....onward and forward and please if like me you have left it far too long, start your journey its so worth it.....A big thank you again to all the support here:XXLhug::XXLhug:....Thank you..

Ok so new to this site, just came across it :)

Have an appointment with the dentist tomorrow morning and am absolutely terrified! :( dont know how I am going to get through it.. think I will need to get a filling replaced. Havent been to dentist since January and had really bad experience then even though the dentist tried really hard to make me feel comfortable...

Trying to think positive thoughts so I can get through tomorrow!!any tips people have?I want to try and get through it by changing my mindset!!

Hi polkadot...All I can say is I went years without seeing a dentist because of fears and thought of old style dentists...but it has all changed since then honestly...what I did is I found a local dentist that understood nervous patients and I went and spoke to them and explained my fears..they were realy great and have been so brilliant....I have had some fillings recently and never felt a thing...also as I said had 4 teeth out last week and that was the same...no pain...I realy wish you well..find the right one for you I,m sure you will succeed....Try making a post too on the support forum yourself...so many people here are cool and willing to support...good luck:XXLhug:

Hi polkadot...All I can say is I went years without seeing a dentist because of fears and thought of old style dentists...but it has all changed since then honestly...what I did is I found a local dentist that understood nervous patients and I went and spoke to them and explained my fears..they were realy great and have been so brilliant....I have had some fillings recently and never felt a thing...also as I said had 4 teeth out last week and that was the same...no pain...I realy wish you well..find the right one for you I,m sure you will succeed....Try making a post too on the support forum yourself...so many people here are cool and willing to support...good luck:XXLhug:

Thanks alot for taking the time to reply :)
I know its completely irrational to be this scared!! My dentist is really understanding but its still really tough for me!there will be lots of tears tomorrow morning :( and the worst thing is I have to go into work after:o
Im gonna try and force myself to get through tomorrow, be tough, its all in the mind! I know I'll feel much better once its over and done!!think exposure to the situation is the only thing that will cure me!If only I hadnt left it so long since my last appointment, thats why I feel even worse now, waiting for tomorrow!!
Anyway, thanks, I might post tomorrow depending on how it goes.......:scared:

:) Another successfull visit to my dentisit today...it seems every visit gets better and restores my faith...I had 3 fillings today:jump:..I realy wish this dentist had been around many years ago and that I hadn't waited so long to visit....I still get nervous befor every visit but thats natural...hey I have a phobia...But It just re-enforces that we should make that first step towards our goal...I was a wreck at the start but with this awesome site..all the words of support and of course a fantastic dentist I am on my way..I hope and wish that others find their way too...;D...:XXLhug:

Back