• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

full mouth extraction: best recovery procedures?

G

globby

In 5 days, 11 hours and 30 minutes (yes, i'm counting down the minutes until my appointment XD), I go in for a full mouth extraction. I am NOT getting immediate dentures, and the receptionist is refusing to give me any details of the recovery process for the procedure until the actual procedure is done.
I was wondering what the basics are and what i can do to help speed up the process. I would also like to know some of the more odd aspects of recovery such as how to eat or drink while avoiding getting anything into the sockets.

Any information would be appreciated. The final question i have is about a certain pain medication. I have a high resistance to pain killers and have a prescription for dilaudid for bad pain. if the pain is bad, can i still take this? I have not read anywhere about this medication thinning the blood, but just want to be on the safe side about this.

Thanks again in advance,
Globby

Also, I'm wondering, with the fact that i will have no teeth at all, my gums wont touch each other, will they? If that's the case, how should i apply pressure to the gauze they give me?

Last edited:
The basics are probably all covered in different areas on here. TBH I would expect your dentist to cover this with advice tailored exactly to your circumstances, it's what you're paying them for!

I doubt you'll need it but there's no problem with any painkillers after dental treatment really, so go ahead with the Dilaudid stuff if you really need it.

For the last question, just roll the gauze up until you can get sufficient pressure with it.

For the last question, just roll the gauze up until you can get sufficient pressure with it.

WOW, i've been so overwhelmed with nervousness, excitement, terror and actually some relief, that I never thought of something so simple :ROFLMAO:
(boy, now i feel dumb LOL)

Thanks

Back