• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

tooth extraction with novocaine?

J

jessie_rabbit

I'm LOVING this forum! I thought that I was all alone with my anxiety and panic when it comes to the dentist. Although I have been able to sporadically get myself to the dentist through the years when I need to, I still don't go as often as I should and wait until the last minute when I'm in too much pain...

Last Thursday I had my first root canal. It actually was in no way as bad as I thought it was! The worst part about it was keeping my mouth open for an hour! I didn't feel any pain at all, and even afterwards I haven't felt anything.

My dental insurance kicks in in November, and I'm going to wait until then to get the crown for my root canal. I just have to be careful about that tooth for the next month...

What I'm worried about now is that on the opposite side of my mouth, I have a tooth that is extremely decayed and probably needs to be extracted. I won't get sedation for it, and I know that just getting the Novocaine is going to be okay just for this one molar.... I can't help but be nervous, though. I've never had a permanent tooth extracted before. Does it hurt really bad afterwards? What are the chances of getting dry socket? (which scares the hell out of me!) Has anyone had a simple extraction lately and can ease my fears a little bit?

Due to me staying away from the dentist for so long, I've had to have about 5 extractions in the past year. It takes about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Eacdh one was a little different, but basically they wiggle it around for a few seconds, and then it comes out. It's probably the easiest dental procedure I've ever had. No dry sockets ever, way less pain aferwards than the root canal I had.

I also believe that extractions are actually easier and less traumatic than long protracted work. The worst bit is the injection - particularly if it's near-ish the front. That just feels a bit yucky and sharp, but the actual procedure is a piece of cake! A bit of pressure and that's it. Each time i've had one, i've had to be asked to sit up as i've been lying there like a fool wating for it to be over!!

I did feel a bit woozy after the last one last week, and still feel a bit tender where the injection was, but hey, it's a lot better than l;eaving it and being in pain!

Good luck!

Hey,

I had a badly decayed molar removed last month and I was expecting it to be a lot lot worse, i agree that the worst part was the injections, (i had 3) and they were quite uncomfortble but nothing too awful that i couldnt handle! Then he did something to my gum to check i was numb i dont know what coz i couldnt feel!!! lol but i was numb so he stood at one side of me and wiggled the tooth with something i dunno what coz i had my eyes closed! and then he walked round to the other side and did the same on the other side of the tooth, in total i think i was in the room for 20 mins most of thaat time was just waitung to get totally numb, i waited 10 mins for that, the tooth was out in two mins max and the rest was spent biting on a cotton thing and drinking a sugary drink! once the bleeding ha stopped i was free to go lol, it isnt a pleasent experience but its not too bad at all, i know i would be able to go through it again if i needed to (which i think i do! :()
For the next 1-2 days my jaw seemed to be stuck and it was quite a bit achey and under my jaw was still sore but thats probs coz i had an awful infection before hand. It didnt hurt at all while it was being done i could just feel a lot of pressure on the to which isnt a nice feeling but DOESNT hurt at all. I was given a special mouth wash to use which stopped it getting infected and that, if you follow the dentists instructions i think its highly unlikely youll get a dry socket, it will feel gross and gummy for a few dayas but that goes away, my gum is still healing so it does take a while but its ok! youll be fine, i can definitly promise you its not half as bad as u will expect!
I youve got anything u want to ask me about it feel free to message me, youve had root canal and that is 10 times worse that your extraction will be!

Sorry for the long msg, good luck, you will do fine :)

Ice-princess:thumbsup:

I had a similar tooth out. It was really quick and didn't hurt at all. Like the others say, bit of wiggling and pressure but nothing awful. I actually didn't realise it was done til he told me to sit up and rinse and there was a bit of blood in the sink. Make sure you follow all the instructions your dentist gives you and you shouldn't get dry socket. Take a couple of painkillers just before the numbness goes just in case as it is easier to keep pain away than get rid of it once it starts but you prob won't have much. Make sure you have plenty of soup and other sloppy food in the cupboards too as it's easier to eat. You will be fine!

I have had wisdom teeth taken out that were about 50% below the surface. As everyone has said the procedure is quick, painless and easy. If the tooth is decayed or broken it is even easier as they are not as securely attached.

You will do great and be surprised at how easy it is.

Blessings :)

I just had an extraction of one of my back molars on the top right, which was broken off all the way flush with the gum- line, in preparation for a back bridge. I opted to have just Novocaine , no general anesthesia , no gas, just the Novocaine. My oral surgeon swabbed the entire area with a topical anesthetic on a cotton swab first, then I received two injections of Novocaine , I couldn't even tell you where they were located, I believe one was in the roof of my mouth ( a palette injection) perhaps the other was in the gum. I hardly felt the injections at all and they were both very short. Then they let me sit and relax for about 10 minutes to get really numbed up.Then they asked me to open my mouth, and they put something in the left side of my mouth for my jaw to close and relax on while still keeping my mouth open. They put some gauze on the bottom of my mouth to keep it clean. Then the oral surgeon stood on the right side of me and began the extraction ( there were three separated roots) While she was extracting the first root, she asked if it was feeling too bad, and I shook my head no, because I couldn't feel anything at all, and didn't even know she had actually started the process. All I could feel was a little 'wiggling' around sensation, which had no pain attached to it whatsoever. I knew the first root was out when there was a pause. She then proceeded to take out the other two, and I felt no pain at all with those either, just the wiggling sensation that didn't hurt. I have heard and read beforehand, , to expect a whole lot of pressure, in my experience, I wouldn't say that I felt a whole lot of pressure. Just a little, and a wiggling sensation as she was removing them. But it was nothing uncomfortable and there was no pain at all. The extraction process took about 2 minutes ( if that). Then she put some stitches in, and again, i could feel a slight sensation of that, but no pain or discomfort, and the stitches only took about 30 seconds tops. They then gave me some rolled up gauze to bite down on to apply pressure and help stop the bleeding, and went over all the instructions with me for when i got home, and gave me a paper with the instructions on them, as well as a little baggie filled with more gauze. ( I had already been on an antibiotic for 5 days prior due to an infection in that tooth, so she kept me on it for several more days afterwards). She gave me a prescription for a pain killer, which I had filled, but never used. I didn't even need to use Advil or anything. The Novocaine wore off, and I had hardly any discomfort, just some slight swelling, so I put an ice pack gently on the outside of my jaw in the general area where they tooth was extracted, 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off for about 2 hours.That's about all it needed to feel significantly better. The jaw felt a little sore and stiff for a few more hours, but by the next day that was all gone. I changed the first gauze pack an hour after they put it in at the office, and replaced it with a new one every hour until the bleeding stopped completely, which took about 4 hours total ( the last 2 hours I was only getting a little bleeding, not much, but they said to keep doing it until there was only slight pink on the gauze, that in total took about 4 hours) All in all, my days of worry, anxiety and prior anticipation of the event were 1,000 times worse then the actual procedure!It was easier then a root canal, or even a filling. The hardest part ( and I would't even call it hard, more like having to be diligent ) is afterwards when you just have to take care of it, and make sure you keep it clean, rinse with salt water gently several times a day and follow their written directions until it's healed. I don't know how the procedure would be if the teeth were impacted, or if they were wisdom teeth, it may be different, or the sensations during the procedure may vary as well as the healing time and post operative discomfort. But mine was nothing at all. If you talk to your oral surgeon, and they tell you you won't feel any pain with just Novocaine, believe them. If they think you will because it's a more complicated procedure, they will recommend gas or general anesthesia. I hope this helps some people, and puts their minds at ease! Don't worry. And please remember, besides this web site, please don't torture yourself by reading about it on lots of various web sites, and forums. Some people just like to exaggerate just to scare people because they think it's funny. It's the worst thing you can do. Just listen to your dentist/ oral surgeon, and the people on here, and you'll be relaxed and calm going into the procedure which helps, and you'll find if you follow their recommendations and directions, it's nothing at all, and it's over before you know it, and you won't feel any pain :)

Petrified about first tooth extraction

I'm new to this forum, so hopefully some of you will help me out. I've read multiple questions/concerns like mine, but needed further validation in asking it myself.... Tomorrow, I'm scheduled for my first tooth extraction (yikes). I've had root canals and crowns before, so I am no stranger to dental work. I think the thing that is scaring me about this procedure is that I'll be completely awake while they're nagging out a tooth (doesn't sound pleasant, I know). Does anybody else suffer with anxiety like me that has had to have a tooth pulled? If so, I'd love to hear your experience and how you got through it, particularly dealing with your nerves prior to the procedure.
Thanks so much in advance!!

From-The (Most) Apprehensive Patient:cry:

Re: Petrified about first tooth extraction

I'm new to this forum, so hopefully some of you will help me out. I've read multiple questions/concerns like mine, but needed further validation in asking it myself.... Tomorrow, I'm scheduled for my first tooth extraction (yikes). I've had root canals and crowns before, so I am no stranger to dental work. I think the thing that is scaring me about this procedure is that I'll be completely awake while they're nagging out a tooth (doesn't sound pleasant, I know). Does anybody else suffer with anxiety like me that has had to have a tooth pulled? If so, I'd love to hear your experience and how you got through it, particularly dealing with your nerves prior to the procedure.
Thanks so much in advance!!

From-The (Most) Apprehensive Patient:cry:

I am no stranger to dental fear I just had 7 filling and a cleaning. I'm petreyfied to go back for the deep cleaning they recomended. :cry: I don't wanna go :cry:

I wish i could say the same as you guys, only had one extraction done 6years ago. The guy was an AHole, and took about 10min in total, it was awful the pressure and well then he said after it, i took some jaw bone with it. Who says that? so now i have a mega phobia, i doubt i could lie there now, maybe if i knew the procedure it may help IDK!! i need to be in control. Question? how far are teeth embedded into the jaw bone?. Why didn't mine only take 1 minute?. :o:o. Esp Molars they scare me the deepest teeth!. I wish i had dentures :(

Back