• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Managed to get to dentist but not sure I can handle the treatment.

M

Mercedes

My main problem with going to the dentist is that I suffer with agoraphobia, anxiety and panic attacks, so for me just sitting in the dentist's chair can freak me out, never mind the anxiety about having treatment.

However over the years I used a 'go to the dentist when I really have to' kind of attitude and for that reason went for a check up to a different dentist than my usual one today as I didn't feel my current dentist was really doing anything other than dishing out antibiotics to me.

So today I am told I need one root canal filling replaced as it wasn't done correctly 7yrs ago, then I need another 2 doing, but one of those teeth is not totally firm, so the dentist isn't totally sure what the outcome of that one will be until she does it. I am then supposed to have all 3 teeth crowned.

I was there for an hour today for the check up and x rays and was quite upset at the amount of work that needs doing, never mind the cost. I paid £95 today just for the check up and x rays.

I have been offered IV sedation but I don't think it would work on me as I have taken benzos for nearly 30yrs and have such a high tolerance to them that it would take enough to knock out a horse to sedate me I think. Apart from that I hate the thought of not being in control.

I guess I am quite confused at the totally different opinion of this dentist to my last dentist. One says I have two wisdom teeth at the bottom, one says they aren't wisdom teeth, one says I have receding gums, the other says my gums are fine. How are we supposed to know which one is right? Should I go to yet another dentist and get a 3rd opinion, or am I just wasting more money :confused:

Then there is the additional problem of actually getting the treatment done if I go ahead with it. I think it's going to be a very long haul and I'm not sure how I will be able to cope with it.

Last edited:
I can sympathise with your dilemma, iv had several dentists due to the fact that iv not ben happy with them but have found a thrid who so far i think i like. But all have said i need different things.

Do you trust this new dentist? if not id suggest getting another opinion, but do some research, get recommendations and pick a new dentist carefully, this way you can have better piece of mind that your getting a genuine assessment of your needs.

Good luck

I have been offered IV sedation but I don't think it would work on me as I have taken benzos for nearly 30yrs and have such a high tolerance to them that it would take enough to knock out a horse to sedate me I think. Apart from that I hate the thought of not being in control.

I guess I am quite confused at the totally different opinion of this dentist to my last dentist. One says I have two wisdom teeth at the bottom, one says they aren't wisdom teeth, one says I have receding gums, the other says my gums are fine. How are we supposed to know which one is right? Should I go to yet another dentist and get a 3rd opinion, or am I just wasting more money :confused:

Then there is the additional problem of actually getting the treatment done if I go ahead with it. I think it's going to be a very long haul and I'm not sure how I will be able to cope with it.

Hi Mercedes
I've been following your followup to a thread I've been involved in re Watford dentists - is the the Practice on the Green you've gone to?

I can really empathise with you and what's happened. Do you trust this new dentist? If yes, perhaps you should stick with him/her. If not, perhaps you should try somewhere else. I'd be a little concerned with two such differing views - either they're wisdom teeth or they're not (I thought you only ever had one through on each side, top and bottom, but what do I know?!).

That said, I think some dental treatment is a bit open for debate - some would try so called heroic treatment to save a tooth, another wouldn't. The important thing is that all the pros and cons are explained. For example, I have been told I could have the canal work on the loose tooth redone, but it is loose, has a chronic infection and the roots aren't very good so the prognosis isn't good.

Re sedation and whether it would work for you - this is something you need to speak to your dentist about once you have found one you trust, who you have confidence in. I'm sure s/he will ask what you've been taking, how long, doseage etc and make a recommendation.

Re getting to the dentist - sounds like this is all getting on top of you. I'm no psychologist, but you need to try and break this down to one thing at a time. First you need to find someone you trust; then you need to look at what treatment you need; talk about how you are feeling with your dentist. It's really important that s/he understands where you are coming from and what your issues are. If you can't talk to the person, you're in the wrong place.

Hang in there.

Thanks for your replies. Yes it was the Practice on The Green that I went to and although the dentist was nice I didn't feel totally comfortable. Stupid as it sounds one of the reasons I went there was that they have a TV on the ceiling and I've found that to help me in the past. However at this surgery the TV sound was off and they had subtitles on, with a radio blasting away in the background, so impossible to actually watch it and distract yourself.

I have made an appointment to go to Adrian Mullish as I like what I read on the website. I tried to get my x rays back from the dentist I saw, seeing as I paid £95 for a check up and x rays I thought it only fair that I should be able to have them so take another dentist, but seems I can't have them.

As the price I was quoted by the dentist I saw was over £3,000 with 50% up front, I do feel a second opinion would be a good idea as it's a lot of money.

Hi:

As far as IV sedation. The medication and dosage can be adjusted to accommodate people even with high benzo tolerance. There are options beyond this also. Sedation can be done with a bit of tinkering, but this is not unusual.

Blessings :)

I just thought I would post an update on my treatment. I can't believe it's been 3mths since I first posted on here about my dental problems.

I've now had quite a lot of appts

1st appt - check up and x rays, took an hour

2nd appt - temporary root canal on pre molar

3rd appt - clean out infection on tooth from last appt and prepare big molar for root canal, took an hour

4th appt - attempt to permanently fill pre molar, not successful, so another temporary put in

5th appt - permanent root canal done on large molar, took an hour and a half!

6th appt - attempt to permanently fill pre molar again, still not successful, getting despondent

Apart from these appts I've also had a second opinion and 2 visits inbetween for pain after treatment, so in all 9 appts so far :o

As my pre molar root canal doesn't seem to be working I have the option now of either an implant or having the tooth extracted. I am quite gutted as I had hoped this tooth would be okay and it's a very important tooth to me as it's holding a metal partial plate in place, so all that will have to go too.

My next appt was scheduled for next month for an hour and a half of crown prep work and then a further hours appt on my Birthday to have the crowns fitted.

However I just got a phone call from the practice asking me to go and see one of the other dentists to see if he thinks there are other options, not really sure what they might be. So now my next appt is 27th of this month :scared:

Back