• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

swollen Gums

M

ma61281

Hello, I have a problem with my gums and I hope somebody can help.
I am a 27 year old female. I was diagnosed with Tmj 2 years ago, after having all my fillings redone and 2 root canals (with infection) within a very short period of time. i am wearing a nightguard since then. I was told to wear it all day. So 6 month ago I started having pain between my upper two teeth. (No.14-13) The gum was swollen and hurt, and was bleeding sometimes, right where my hooks of my nightguard are. I told my dentist that I haven't had it adjusted for a while, but he said that this is not the cause. He changed my fillings on both teeth. He said there was no bleeding in the tooth and the x rays showed nothing. 1 month later I went back cause it still hurt. (It took me a month to get the swelling of my jaw down) He smoothed the tooth down. A week later I came back and he send me to an endodontist. The Endodontist couldn't find anything and said that I might need a deep cleanig or my filling redone. 3 weeks later my pain was so bad that I cried when I called another dentist. (I changed the dentist cause the other one kept charging bogus stuff to my insurance) He said my gums all over my mouth look very healthy.No signs of perio disease. He did the scaling on both teeth. I rinsed with salt water and hydrogen peroxide every day. And 2 weeks later I had my regular cleaning. And I was finally feeling better.
(I have to mention that my nightguard broke after I got my filling done and that I am using now my soft one that I was given while the other one was built. I also had a sinus infection+ ear infection at the same time that wouldn't clear up so I was on antibiotics twice during this whole time period. I also have been going to Physical therapy for my tmj and they can't release me cause everytime i come from the dentist my jaw swells on and I have to start over again)
A week after the cleaning it started hurting again. My dentist said the only option he has left is that I might be allergic to the filling. (All my other fillings are silver.) If that doesn't help he will sent me to a Periodontist. But my jaw is still swollen from my last visit . Now my gums started bleeding again and I have a weird taste in my mouth. I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please!!!!!!!! What is wrong with me. (I am not pregnant by the way):cry::o:confused:

I would be inclined to ask for the periodontist referral first off. If you explain before you go that you've got TMJ problems and could they keep the assessment visit as short as possible, then it shouldn't stir up your TMJ too much.

Hello, Thanks. I saw a Periodontist today. He said I do have Gum disease. He said a deep cleaning and some antiobiotic should do it. He couldn't really explain why my gums are only swollen on this one area. He also suggested to take Muskelrelaxers befor dental procedures, when I told him about my TMJ. I never thought about that, but I will talk to my Doctor about it. I hope I will feel better soon.

Back