• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Debunking the fear of (dental) work done by STUDENTS!

G

globby

Now, you've all heard that horror story where someone went to get a procedure done at a school by a student and everything goes HORRIBLY WRONG! Well, don't listen to them, because here's the truth!

Many people are afraid of going to that local dental school to get dental work done just because of the idea of a student doing the work, and that would be a rational and very sane fear, but you shouldn't!

At a dental school, the student providing the needed service is doing everything he's been learning to do. Unlike mandatory grade school where some people don't pay attention, this is the profession they want to learn.

At all times during a procedure, there is a licensed dentist in the room overseeing everything. If at any point something goes wrong, they can take over and fix issues that may arise.

From personal experience getting all of my teeth pulled out on Tuesday, October 6th 2009 (just over a week ago) I can't help but say that the service provided was done in a much more professional way than any appointment I had ever had with a licensed dentist in their offices growing up.***

As soon as I was taken into the room and sat down in the chair, everyone introduced themselves and the student made sure to make me aware that he was a student and ask if I was comfortable. Then the licensed dentist came in, introduced himself and sat on a stool by my feet talking to the student and myself and asking the student questions about the procedure to make sure that the student knew what he was about to do.

The whole time I was in the chair before sedation, there was a calm chatter between the nurses, the licensed dentist, the student and even myself. If I had a question, they would stop all conversation and give me their utmost attention. One of the Nurses even offered me a blanket for before the procedure.

Finally came the million dollar question "Have you ever done a full mouth extraction before?" and suddenly, the student got rather excited. He had done many multiple tooth extractions but this was, in fact, his first ever full extraction.

Rather than being alarmed by this response, I could see the eagerness in the students eyes. Just the look on his face told me all i needed to know. He was determined to do the full extraction with as little post extraction complications as possible.

Today, I can personally say that this student did an excellent job. After the extractions I have had absolutely no pain. The only bothersome feeling i've noticed is the natural "itch" that comes from healing.

After talking to others who have had their work done by students in schools and clinics, I have yet to hear that "I had a friend of a friend who's boyfriend blah blah blah"

So, keep this in mind next time you find yourself in a tight money situation or uninsured and need dental work. Don't be afraid of clinics because I don't think I would have wanted it done anywhere else!

Note
*** All of my memories of dentists as a child were horrible. This is not to say that all dentists are horrible, just that by luck of the draw, they were all i had ever known

Hopefully this helps someone out there :) and omg, this looked so much nicer and easier on the eyes in the original "post a new thread" box.. LOL

Now, you've all heard that horror story where someone went to get a procedure done at a school by a student and everything goes HORRIBLY WRONG! Well, don't listen to them, because here's the truth!

Many people are afraid of going to that local dental school to get dental work done just because of the idea of a student doing the work, and that would be a rational and very sane fear, but you shouldn't!

At a dental school, the student providing the needed service is doing everything he's been learning to do. Unlike mandatory grade school where some people don't pay attention, this is the profession they want to learn.

At all times during a procedure, there is a licensed dentist in the room overseeing everything. If at any point something goes wrong, they can take over and fix issues that may arise.

From personal experience getting all of my teeth pulled out on Tuesday, October 6th 2009 (just over a week ago) I can't help but say that the service provided was done in a much more professional way than any appointment I had ever had with a licensed dentist in their offices growing up.***

As soon as I was taken into the room and sat down in the chair, everyone introduced themselves and the student made sure to make me aware that he was a student and ask if I was comfortable. Then the licensed dentist came in, introduced himself and sat on a stool by my feet talking to the student and myself and asking the student questions about the procedure to make sure that the student knew what he was about to do.

The whole time I was in the chair before sedation, there was a calm chatter between the nurses, the licensed dentist, the student and even myself. If I had a question, they would stop all conversation and give me their utmost attention. One of the Nurses even offered me a blanket for before the procedure.

Finally came the million dollar question "Have you ever done a full mouth extraction before?" and suddenly, the student got rather excited. He had done many multiple tooth extractions but this was, in fact, his first ever full extraction.

Rather than being alarmed by this response, I could see the eagerness in the students eyes. Just the look on his face told me all i needed to know. He was determined to do the full extraction with as little post extraction complications as possible.

Today, I can personally say that this student did an excellent job. After the extractions I have had absolutely no pain. The only bothersome feeling i've noticed is the natural "itch" that comes from healing.

After talking to others who have had their work done by students in schools and clinics, I have yet to hear that "I had a friend of a friend who's boyfriend blah blah blah"

So, keep this in mind next time you find yourself in a tight money situation or uninsured and need dental work. Don't be afraid of clinics because I don't think I would have wanted it done anywhere else!

Note
*** All of my memories of dentists as a child were horrible. This is not to say that all dentists are horrible, just that by luck of the draw, they were all i had ever known

Hopefully this helps someone out there and omg, this looked so much nicer and easier on the eyes in the original "post a new thread" box.. LOL
WOW. Thank you for posting this. :)The dental school route had me VERY nervous. And part of that is having "students work on my teeth/ I will now def try and get an appontment to speak with Uof D school.

Back