• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Why am I so scared??

J

JaneyG

I actually can't explain why I'm so scared for my dentist appointment tomorrow..

I had two teeth filled about 10 days ago and tomorrow I have an appointment to have another filled... the last one went fine, I felt pretty relaxed when the dentist was actually doing stuff and she was really nice to me... so why am I so scared?

I really don't know :( I guess I'm just worried that this is going to be worse somehow... I'm worried that she's going to shout at me for some reason (she hasn't done this before, she's very nice).. I think she's going to be cleaning my teeth at the end of it and I'm really worried about that too :(

I thought I'd be less scared than last time but I'm soo nervous!

Hi Janeyg:

Very understandable. The anxiety is trying to convince you the last appointment was a fluke and the "real" type of appointment will happen next time, filled with pain, lectures and discomfort, all the things you fear.

The anxiety is trying to regain the control it has had. This is all that is happening. You know the dentist is nice, gentle and understanding, not a Jekyll and Hyde type of person.

Refuse to give in to the fear. The last great experience is a great indicator of the next one. If you not dwell on it, the anxiety will lose power. Focus on everything that can go right, not on what can go wrong.

You will do great.

Blessings :)

Thank you. I know you're right really, I'm intelligent enough to realise that.. it's just when this fear takes hold of me!

In a way I'm glad to be going, I have a cavity in my tooth that has needed filling for a while but I've been too scared to do anything about it - for it to finally be normal again will be fantastic.

So hopefully after this appointment everything will be fine and I wont need to go for another six months :)

Well my appointment is in less than an hour, and I'm very scared! I think I'm more worried for this one, but it doesn't help that I'm home all day, rather than before when I've been busy in the day. Well, I'll let you know how it goes! Wish me luck please :cry:

Good Luck Janey! You can do it! Will look forward to your "after" post.

Sending you all the virtual hugs you can carry...

Thanks - looks like they helped :)

Well, the best news is I'm now not back at the dentist until April! Yay!! All done :)

It was fine, the bottom being numbed feels much weirder than the top though and my lip feels really swollen - argh - good job I've got no where to be right now!

It was fine, she was lovely as usual, I had my teeth cleaned too and I'm actually really happy overall.:)

I didn't need much work doing, but to those of you who are still terrified of the dentist - I'm not saying I'd be happy at the prospect of another appointment, BUT, they were much nicer than I thought and never once seemed to judge me or tell me off.

:grouphug:

You're more than welcome - so glad I could help in some small way!

One day I'm determined to be where you are right now, I'm so glad you're happy...

Congratulations, you're an inspiration!

I'm only a teenager, whether that makes a difference or not I don't know. I hadn't visited a dentist for maybe 5 - 7 years. I'd often had sleepless nights due to toothache, weeks when all I really wanted to do was to cry because it was so bad but I was too scared to do anything about it...

I'm SO glad that it's sorted now. I guess some people have worse fear than I do/did but I was scared to enough to not be able to eat for the day before, not be able to sleep, start crying on the way there, sit in the waiting room shaking almost crying..

Now I feel much more positive about the dentist. I wouldn't invite one over for tea still :giggle: but I feel much better about them... they really do want to help you and don't want to cause you pain. Another thing I like is before even doing any work she told me to just raise my hand and she would stop - I really liked that control over what was happening (not that I needed to use it).

My dad, who hadn't visited a dentist for, what.. probably literally 20 years, has also started using this dentist and now his teeth are all fixed and I'm so proud of him.

I hope you manage to get there. Best of luck! No one deserves to be in pain because of toothache I think now... if our arm was broke we'd get it fixed without much worrying, yet if a tooth is broken or damaged we're terrified about it.

Big hugs to everyone who is contemplating treatment :grouphug:

Well done JaneyG on getting through your fillings, I can understand your anxiety. I have a really caring dentist who is really nice with me but I still get nervous when I need treatment. But my dentist understands my concerns and is really supportive and reassuring with me. Your dentist seems really reassuring and caring, perhaps you may want to post her on the recommended dentist part of this forum. Hope all your future visits go as well, keep in touch.

Well done!!

You should be proud of yourself!! :jump:

Back