• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Canal tomorrow, REASSURANCE PLEASE :(

M

mel-m

After overcoming my phobia enough to get a massive filling in the tooth behind my 'fang' on the top left (I don't know the proper name for it) a couple of weeks ago, I suddenly started getting pain in it on Sunday which has now progressed into toothache. I rang the dentist earlier this morning and he advised I keep an eye on it as it could just be my teeth getting used to it, otherwise to ring back if it got worse as I may need a root canal.

Well, typically, it got worse so I rang him back. I now have an appointment for tomorrow at 11.30am and I'm rather terrified :( I'm worried because after reading stuff on here, I think it may be a 'hot tooth' and therefore I'm scared in case I can't get numb.

I'm nowhere near as scared as I was before the filling, but I'm still pretty much dreading it :( :( :(

Any words of advice/comfort/encouragement would be greatly appreciated right now :cry:

I have had two roots done and I can tell you having a root filling is not much different from an ordinary filling. Takes a bit longer, a bit more fumbling about by the dentist, but apart from that, no difference. If you can cope with ordinary fillings, you can cope with RCT.

Hello Mel-m I hope everything goes ok with your root canal tommorow. If I nee any drilling done I always take mp3 player with me with a relaxation cd I find this drowns out the sound of the drill and helps me relax. Let us know how you get on.

Not in a fit state to give advice but ((((((((hugs))))))))) to you - you can do it!

Well, typically, it got worse so I rang him back. I now have an appointment for tomorrow at 11.30am and I'm rather terrified :( I'm worried because after reading stuff on here, I think it may be a 'hot tooth' and therefore I'm scared in case I can't get numb.

Well sorry about the scary info on here...it will likely numb fine. It may require a larger dose of LA. The good news is that even 'hot teeth' can be numbed with the right LA techniques or if absolutely necessary, you can take some antibiotics instead and re-arrange the appt. You don't have to have work done if you are not numb (you can withdraw your consent at any point) and I'm sure your nice dentist wouldn't want to set you back by causing you pain during treatment either. Let us know how it goes...tell your dentist your specific fear as well so he can take extra care with you.

My heart goes out to you!!

I have a root canal scheduled on Nov.5 on a tooth with a cavity hole that had me in tears. Right now I'm on antibiotics in preparation for it, dentist said it will calm things down, so hopefully my RC won't hurt.

I'm pretty sure you'll be just fine. You can always ask for more anesthetic and if it gets really bad (chances are it won't) you have the right to stop the procedure and come back after antibiotic treatment.

Thank you for all your support. My appointment is today and I feel... okay about it. I'm in such a better place now and the only thing that's worrying me is a somewhat rational concern that it may hurt when he's removing the nerve. Before, I would have been worrying about all sorts!

The toothache has pretty much subsided this morning, so that's good as the dentist said that if I'm in too much pain there may be problems getting me numb.

I hope all goes well. I shall report back later today.

Thank you again :grouphug:

Well, I didn't bloody have it! :) lol.

Basically, since the toothache had subsided and no amount of cold air or bashing it with his little ...bashy.. thing... had any effect so he said that he didn't want to do the root canal unless he absolutely had to and it seemed like everything was fine and the toothache could have been a plethora of different things. He said if it was something really sinister, it wouldn't just go away like that.

So now he's painted some varnish stuff on it to reduce the sensitivity and told me to keep an eye on it in case the toothache returns. so far today I've been okay other than a little bit of soreness when I ate my dinner. He's also said that if I want to, he'll do the root canal just to 'put it to bed' so to speak, so if the sensitivity to hot and cold continues, I might just get it done anyway.

Kind of relieved I didn't have to have it done, but at the same time a little disappointed as I was hoping to be able to just forget about it but now I'm worrying in case it comes back with a vengeance. :(