• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pregnant, in pain, so scared on the dentist!

K

kimkims

Hi all, I have just signed up but have been reading everyone else's stories and I am soooo glad to see I am not alone. So here is my story! I have extreme, out of this world, major dental phobia. I have huge panic attacks the minute I walk in the door.

I am currently 6 weeks pregnant, with our 2nd child. I was booked in to have a number of issues fixed, under sedation however, that now has to wait until after I have my child (in june 2010).

So...the lovely dentist has given me the option of sitting in the chair to get the work done, or hold off until I have my child. I have 2 pain free abscess, one of which the tooth needs to be removed and he will replace it with either a implant or bridge (undecided as yet) and the other needs a root canal. I also have a number of little fillings that need to be done. I have a back molar which is giving me hell, and he needs to xrays, but is pretty sure the nerve is dying in that tooth, thats why I am in so much pain. So in that case, it will be a remove job aswell.

So my question to you guys is do I put myself and my unborn baby through the stress of having an anxiety attack every time the dentist is mentioned, or do I wait it out? Keeping in mind, my anxiety attacks are enough to make me miscarry they are that severe. I am pain free at the moment, except for the back molar. I really dont know what to do....and he has put the ball in my court :cry:. I am so scared that if I dont do anything, I will cause more damage. But on the other hand I am sooo scared that if I do something, and have a anxiety attack and lose my baby, I will never forgive myself

What a horrible dilemma for you :XXLhug:

I think you can beat this though, I really do. I was like you up until a few weeks ago but I've found a dentist who is patient enough to work with me to reduce my fear before starting any treatment. You have that option too, even if it means finding another dentist who is more understanding. I don't think your only options are 'have panic attacks so you cause damage to your baby' or 'be in pain for 9 months.' There will be people out there who will be able to help you. Are you in the UK or US? If you are in the UK, you may be better looking into private treatment. That's what I've done and I've found that the costs aren't THAT different to NHS for most treatments. If private isn't an option, you could perhaps speak to your GP about arranging some therapy if you explain your circumstances?

There are more options to this than you think, even if you don't believe it yourself, I didn't either before I found my dentist :XXLhug:

I agree with Mel-M in that those are not your only options. I am not medically qualified but I don't think you are at risk of miscarrying from a panic attack. Presumably because you are pregnant, you can only get treatment with local anaesthetic...that's how I do all my treatment...but with a really nice dentist who makes me feel very relaxed and comfortable...yours can probably do this as well.
It can't be good for your baby for you to keep diseased teeth in your mouth for the whole pregnancy either and horrible for you to have the constant worry and on-going pain.
So I'd say, get it done now at your pace with lots of TLC. You will be surprised how easy it actually is, I'm sure. Maybe pm Stressdoc for some relaxation techniques you can use.

omg what a horrible dilema. Maybe you should try talking to your doctor and discuss whether or not there are any safe sedatives u can take during pregnancy, or any holistic sedatives/relaxants, to get you through the door? Or maybe you could try another technique like hypnotherapy? Expensive I know, but worth it, and im sure a ethical liscenced hypnotherapist would understand. I was lucky enough to go to a dental practice that had a on staff hypnotherapist once and it was great I have to say.
You really dont want all that infection around whilst your pregnant, especially abcesses which can pose huge health risks if unattended to. Also I know how the constant stress and paranoia affects you, it cant be healty in your condition.
Another thing you should think about is cutting back the amount of work that needs doing for now, like the little fillings, can probably wait, but just do the extractions and root canal?
I am so sorry your in this situation, but with the very real risk of miscarrying due to a panic attack (yes it happens) and abcesses/infection, i think u should consult your gp or make a conversational appointment with the dentist, outside of the examination room (foyer or personal office) to discuss the options. Let us know how u get along, hope it all goes well.

xoxoxoxoxox

Back