View Poll Results: Do you have/Have you had a mental illness?

Voters
    49. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes, I have been diagnosed with a mental illness

30 61.22%
    • No, I have not been diagnosed with a mental illness

15 30.61%
    • I think I may have a mental illness, but I have not been diagnosed

4 8.16%
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you have/Have you had a mental illness?

Default Re: Do you have/Have you had a mental illness?

Yea ADHD when I was a kid and because of it I never graduated with a standard diploma instead special Ed diploma but I am trying to get into tech school so fingers crossed

I have PTSD from childhood.

I've never been diagnosed with a mental illness but besides obviously having a phobia I think I have 3 other mental illnesses. I've already been tested for depression but I didn't have to be put on medication probably because I didn't tell the guy I saw the whole truth. I also think I have some kind of anxiety disorder and ocd.

I don't want to sound like a walking anxiety disorder textbook but here goes:
      Diagnosed:
      Society Anxiety Disorder
      Generalised Anxiety Disorder
      OCD

Fairly sure I have but haven't been diagnosed:
      Health Anxiety or otherwise known as Hypochondria
      Depression (some form, not saying clinical but enough that it affects me a lot & I've felt it for years, got worse last year & worse again this year).

The HA seems like an extension of the GAD for me but I'm not sure. I've had many mental health problems since I was a teenager at the youngest (was 14 when I was diagnosed with the disorders I mentioned) but probably as a child as well.

The dental phobia & general obsession with my dental health is directly related to my HA but unlike many other fears I have about my health where I'd be more than willing generally to jump at seeking medical help I am still generally scared of dental work.

Sometimes it gets overwhelming just contemplating all the mental health problems I have, although most are anxiety types so they are interrelated to a point it seems. I said a long time ago I wouldn't let them beat me & though it's a struggle I am still fighting them so they don't beat me.

Generally though I don't care so much about the labels, I am a generally anxious person with many irrational fears that affect me daily so that's enough for me to want to get better.

Want to say really there's no shame in having these sorts of things, they don't define who I or anyone is as a person, they are merely a part of us (not trying to downplay these sort of things for sure!).
      Last edited by Rock Chick; 22nd April 2012 at 16:17.
      Money is supposed to make the world go round but I prefer to think it's actually love.

i also suffer with various anxiety disorders

health anxiety & google =

readyaimfire