• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm back...

soscaredbackagain

soscaredbackagain

Back in 2005 I overcame a huge hurdle in my life. Please see this post on the old forum.

Unfortunately, the wonderful dentist I had found, retired shortly after I had all the work done. Too scared to find another one, I went back into old habits and stopped going to the dentist.

4 years later, I'm almost back where I started. I've managed to control the anxiety and I've taken much better care of myself. However despite me obsessing over my teeth and looking after them 10 times more than in the past my mouth isn't doing so wonderfully. Although I'm not as bad as I was before, the time has come where I need to get back in that chair.

First off, my bottom two wisdom teeth are cutting. The right one isn't madly painful but it feels like the gum is stretching and almost like a burning sensation which is uncomfortable. I've had the molar in front removed so there is room for it to come in but I can't tell if its coming in straight. The gum over my left one seems incredibly swollen but I've started seeing the white coming through when I push my tongue on it. It doesn't hurt at all It seems to be coming through OK otherwise~

I'm also having trouble with my left molar. A few weeks ago I was eating a chip. The chip moved in my mouth vertically and I bit down on it. It was absolute agony and hasn't been right since. I now have a relatively small but very deep chip (down to the gumline) I am hoping to find out what kind of treatment I can have for this. Its making my bite feel very out of place and sometimes when I bite it feels very painful.

My left bicuspid is sometimes sensitive to sweet things. From looking online, this should be a leaky filling?

All of my front teeth are still, luckily perfect.

Moving round to the other side of my mouth, my upper right bicuspid and the tooth behind it has in recent weeks felt sensitivity when biting, its not all the time. It comes and goes but I am very concerned about it as this week I ended up at the emergency doctors after developing acute maxillary sinusitis. My face was huge and swollen and he prescribed amoxacillin for it. I had no dental pain except for the night before when I brushed my teeth. The pain was quite intense but it wore off. I am aware that maxillary sinusitis can be caused through an infected tooth. My gum around the two teeth seems a little darker than the rest of my gums (Though I'm not sure if its normally discoloured) and when i lift my cheek it seems a bit red right at the top of the gum. I have had an abscess before but it was very painful, I was overly sensitive to heat and had to hold cold water in my mouth at all time for the pain to stop. I had terribly bad breath and a putrid taste in my mouth. I've not had that at all with these teeth but is it still a possibility that it caused the infection? I had a chest infection last week so I'm not sure which is the more likely option. The Tooth or the other Infection. If it was from the tooth, i'm quite certain its dead now as I've not felt any pain since brushing my teeth that night.

I've been using cordasyl mouthwash recently as I've had a few bleeding teeth when brushing. Thats cleared up really well but I'm a bit worried about my upper left wisdom tooth. I don't experience pain from it but I can see its very discoloured. With patches of a dark reddish brown. I've read that this mouthwash can discolour teeth and gums so I am hoping it is that.

One of my lower molars has the filling starting to chip on it so I think it needs replacing. I also have a cavity onthe side of the tooth which needs filling.

It seems like a huge list of things wrong with my teeth but compared to last time I think they are much easier to correct. Or at least, I hope they are.

I've just contacted the Cedar Clinic Referral Center that extracted my teeth before as they deal with nervous patients and they arrange appointments through email, which makes the booking process easier. If i talk about it I'll just cry! Unfortunately I'm in London all of next week at an exhibition for work, but I've asked for the earliest appointment of the day, any day after it finishes, along with my fiance (who isn't phobic at all) I've asked if we can have our check ups together so I've got a bit of moral support or someone to hold my hand at least.

I know that this forum got me through it last time and I'm hoping it will do it again. I'm scared that I'm going to have to have extensive work done that we can't really afford and that its going to be quite painful. Reading through my old post I seemed fine before but since they were all just extractions I'm concerned that now I need several different procedures done on several different teeth and that scares me. ..... a lot.

Welcome back! :welcome: I joined last year.

I think your dental stuff can be sorted out fairly easily. Even in the past 5 years dentistry has improved a good bit.

You have an excellent track record overcoming your dental fears. The anxiety monster is doing its best to convince you that the only reason you made it through last time was because of the dentist. This is not at all true.

You were successful because of you! You have the courage, resources and fortitude to do this. The power is in you.

The root of your success was belief in yourself. You will be successful just remember what you have done. You can do it again. Do not waste time or energy on thoughts of failure and pain.

You worry is based upon incomplete information and guessing, not the best for good diagnosis.

You can deal with and handle what ever needs doing. You are going to be fine.

Blessings :)

Thank you stress doc.
I know i've done it before so the second time should be easier but I wish I could get an appointment sooner. I'd rather get it over and done with asap.

Back