• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Palatal injection, what should i do??

J

Jimsie

Former Member
Tomorrow i have to go to the dentist to get a baby canine extracted. I can't stand the injections used in the back of the mouth just for fillings. I have a good dentist but I have an extremely low pain threshold.

I keep reading that injections in the roof of the mouth are very painful and now I am feeling sick with anxiety. Normally people say that these things arent painful when i actually think they are painful so the fact that most sources say they are painful, i just cant imagine what it could be like. Im not sure what to do, i am panicking too much and i dont know if i can go through with it tomorrow.

Can someone give me some advice? Should i ask for some kind of sedation? I did mention it before but he wasnt keen on the idea and what would i even say? "oh ive been reading people say its painful and now i dont want it"?

..help.

What does your dentist say about it? Some can do them reasonably comfortably anywhere in the mouth. It is one of the more sensitive areas and so would work best (in the absence of computer-controlled delivery such as TheWand/STA which makes it painless in my personal experience) with lots of strong topical left on to work for say 5 minutes and very slow delivery with you having control - so if you want to stop the fluid being eased in, you can.
The reason they are generally felt to be worse there is because if you have a dentist with poor technique, then obviously the palate is going to be them at their worst, with a dentist with good technique however...it won't be nearly so bad as you think.
Rather than sedation, I'd suggest you demand lots of topical, if they don't normally use that anyway. It's not essential for a comfortable injection in all parts of the mouth but it definitely a good idea in the more sensitive areas.

If injection comfort is a major concern for you, it is worth finding a dentist with excellent technique as it can make it all so much easier to contemplate.
Good luck....if you want it I suppose an oral sedation pill would help relax you...your call really...

hi
thought I might be able to help a bit. Ok I had upper palate shots as they call them 2 done by a surgeon were really painful ( he was horrible ) but when my nice dentist who i trust totally did them for 2 teeth out I didnt feel a thing. The point is if you have a nice dentist who you trust theses injections can be totally painless it all depends on the dentist. It sounds like you trust your dentist and you say he's good im sure you will be fine even if you think you have a low pain thresh hold its the dentists technique that matters most and your patient dentist relationship.
best of luck
emma

What does your dentist say about it? Some can do them reasonably comfortably anywhere in the mouth.
He said its not very nice but its over quite quickly. Which isn't really that reassuring but at least he's honest.

hi
thought I might be able to help a bit. Ok I had upper palate shots as they call them 2 done by a surgeon were really painful ( he was horrible ) but when my nice dentist who i trust totally did them for 2 teeth out I didnt feel a thing. The point is if you have a nice dentist who you trust theses injections can be totally painless it all depends on the dentist. It sounds like you trust your dentist and you say he's good im sure you will be fine even if you think you have a low pain thresh hold its the dentists technique that matters most and your patient dentist relationship.
best of luck
emma
Were they pretty much in the same place the second time round and without any special equipment?

Thanks for your replies.

I'm not a fan of injections. Dentist I've been to recently use a topical before injections. The palate is often still uncomfortable and yeah could be painful, I won't lie.

But. I guess the high point is, once it's done, it is done.

It doesn't take long in reality for those injections and you can go into it knowing that and focusing on counting or repeating a phrase. This will be over fast, I can do this, this is ok. Pick one of them and focus on the words while it is being done and don't allow any panicky words in. Refocus if it starts and get back to your phrase of choice. You can also pinch the tissue on your hand between your thumb and first finger for distraction as well and see if that helps.

Just got back and am still numb. Wasn't as bad as i was expecting, the palatal injection was a little worse but not as bad as some stuff ive heard from other people. I think a good dentist makes a difference.

Now i just have to deal with the aftercare and having a huge gap at the front of my mouth. But it wasn't worth me panicking as much as i did. :)

Well Done You!!!! :XXLhug:

Great news!

Back