• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared to death

L

LJ

Hello everyone,
im new to this site so hope you can all bare with me!

im having a broken tooth out in 4 weeks time under IV sedation,:cry: i tried to have it pulled the normal way(which is why its now broken) but it hurt me to much, im terrified of the dentist and the dentist i used said i was to worked up for her to get it out and she refered me to someone who will sedate me instead.
ive been waiting for this appointment since March and have honestly not stopped thinking and worrying about it! i get myself so worked up and now ive had the appointment through im even more terrified. ive been told it will be a surgical extraction could anyone tell me what to expect and how long it will take etc?

thank yoouuu!

Hi LJ

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

Good job getting the broken tooth dealt with, best thing you can do.

IV sedation is the best option for people with higher levels of anxiety. It is the platinum standard for dental sedation. Here is how the process works.

You dentist might give you an oral sedative to help you sleep the night before and maybe one to take in the morning before the appointment.

When you get to the office you will have a blood pressure monitor and pulse OX monitor hooked up to you. These are used to check the level of sedation.

A bit of numbing cream will be put on your arm or hand at the IV site. A tiny device called a butterfly needle will be inserted (you probably won't even feel it as they are small) and the cannula will be taped to your arm.

In about 1 minute you will feel drowsy and relaxed. The next thing you will remember is waking up when the procedure is done. The medications cause you not to remember the appointment. You will not feel any pain or discomfort.

The whole procedure should take less than 30 minutes. You will rest for the rest of the day and that is it.

This is such a safe and easy system for the patient. You will be amazed. Truly, your best option.

I hope this helps.

Blessings :)

Hello,
Thank you so much for your kind reply, i believe i wont be getting any oral sedatives or anything like that but i was thinking i may ask my doctor to give me something just to make sure i go through with the appointment.
ive heard that a surgical extraction involves cutting the gum to create a flap to get the tooth out is this right and is it easier than the usual way of just pulling it out!? x

Hi LJ

Teeth are not "pulled." They are actually gently elevated out. The same is usually done with broken pieces. If some gum tissue needs to be opened. The area is closed with a couple of stitches. Gum tissue heals fairly quickly. These are very common procedures as they are done all the time with impacted wisdom teeth.

You will be fine and should have zero problems. IV sedation is great and works really well for extractions.

Blessings :)

Back