• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Shaving jaw bone?

M

Marie1980

Hi I posted on his forum a few days back as I had a root canal done (twice) as a reasult of a failed filling, on my upper right moller tooth. Then the tooth next to this that I had a filling on started to hurt and my gums felt very sore and just generally uncomfortable.

I went back to my dentist and when he xrayed he said that the filling in the tooth next to my root canal looked like it was pushing against my jaw bone which could be the main cause of the pain I was getting.

Therefore today I have just had a filling taken out, my jaw bone shaved and the filing replaced. Can any one tell me of this is a normal practice? I have been given anti biotics and told to take pain killers and use corsadil mouth wash

Your replies would be greatly appreciated

Hi I posted on his forum a few days back as I had a root canal done (twice) as a reasult of a failed filling, on my upper right moller tooth. Then the tooth next to this that I had a filling on started to hurt and my gums felt very sore and just generally uncomfortable.

I went back to my dentist and when he xrayed he said that the filling in the tooth next to my root canal looked like it was pushing against my jaw bone which could be the main cause of the pain I was getting.

Therefore today I have just had a filling taken out, my jaw bone shaved and the filing replaced. Can any one tell me of this is a normal practice? I have been given anti biotics and told to take pain killers and use corsadil mouth wash

Your replies would be greatly appreciated

I'm not a dentist but I have never heard of this and don't really see how a filling could be touching your jawbone. Maybe someone else can enlighten me.
Was your gum surgically opened up for this? If so you may mean an apico but that is normally done only after a root canal has failed?

It sounds like you had crown lengthening. There is a principle in dentistry called biologic width and the margins of fillings/crowns need to be a certain distance away from the bone for proper health of the tissue. If the biologic width is violated it starts a chronic inflammation process. It sounds like the dentist did the right thing.

That sounds like it! My gum wasn't cut or anything just part of the bone that was so close to my filling. Your response is very reassuring as my dentist said that it's not something usually done on the nhs and unlikely that a private dentist would do it either. It's mainly coz he knows the fear I have of losing my teeth. I just wanted to get other peoples view point. I am glad that my dentist is so good to me! Before this my whole gum line felt like it was swelling but I feel relief already.

Thanks ! :)

I'm happy to help!

Back