• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Core build up with pins? Someone please explain.

B

bebebryant

Hi, I just had a root canal on tooth number 31 molar, with core build up and pins. When I look at my tooth it has a baby light blue-ish colored filling. They want me back in 2 weeks for crown fitting. What all does this involve? Will they have to take anything out since it has pins etc. ( I dont really understand all of this)? I am just wondering if crown fitting hurts, if I will have to be numbed and if anyone can explain this to me? I cant have my porcelein crown put on until January 1st for insurance reasons. I cant tell if I have a temprorary crown or not and was to out of it to ask the dentist. Do they usually put a temp crown on after core build up and pins? I basically couldnt wait to get out of there so I didnt ask many questions which was dumb now that I think of it. lol.

You might need to be numbed up for the crown procedure, and mainly that's to make it more comfortable as they might be working around your gums. The fact that the tooth has been root canaled makes it pretty dead to most sensations other than vibration or pressure.

It sounds like you just have the tooth filled with the blue stuff, and for the crown they have to prepare the outside surfaces of the tooth to provide enough room for the crown. They reshape it, take an impression, and make a temporary crown for it while the crown is being made. Usually at the insertion appointment, it wouldn't need to be numbed up in most cases, and they basically remove the temporary and fit and cement the final crown.

Oh ok thanks!!! What exactly is the blue stuff? Does it permanently stay in there? You mostly answered my question though. Hopefully this time wont take as many injections:o- not fun!!!

It's most likely a certain brand of core material like Core Paste from Dentmat or Absolute Dentin from Parkell which comes in different colours.

Some dentists prefer the blue colour as it lets them see where the core material is easier when it comes down to preparing the crown margins. For example, a deep area on the exterior surface where the core material extends down to must be prepared so that the crown will contact sound tooth material rather than core material.

The blue colour makes it more visible to see when tooth structure has been reached. Tooth coloured core materials would be harder to see in those areas so there is a risk of leaving a sliver of core material in that instance.

Hi! I am new here, actually found the site when I was doing a search online for 'core buildup with pins'. :)

I recently started a treatment plan to take care of some dental issues I've had for years. Due to loathing going to the dentist, weak teeth, and being rather lacksadaisical with my tooth care has led me to have lots of problems in my mouth over the years.

That aside, I've recently had four extractions in preparation for upper & lower partials, mainly in the jaw area. I do know that my dentist works with some type of partials now that do not require any kind of metal anchor, if that makes sense, though I don't know a lot about the process actually.

My question is this - all of the teeth that I had removed could've been saved with root canals & crowns, but I chose to go with extractions & partials due to cost. I was sitting her today looking at my treatment plan that the dentist's office printed out for me & I have a question. It is an itemized worksheet, and one of the items on it says "Core Buidup, Including Any Pins". What does this mean? I'm under the impression that core buildups & pins go along with crowns...and since I"m not having any teeth crowned, can anyone tell me if perhaps this has some other meaning?

Thanks!

You don't necessarily require pins or posts to be placed if they aren't needed to retain the core material. Think of the core as the inside part that's designed to replace what's missing, to retain the crown, and to support everything around it. If there's enough solid tooth structure remaining, that in itself can be enough to keep the core in place.

Pins and posts are placed whenever added retention is needed, but if it is possible to avoid them, all the better.

You don't necessarily require pins or posts to be placed if they aren't needed to retain the core material. Think of the core as the inside part that's designed to replace what's missing, to retain the crown, and to support everything around it. If there's enough solid tooth structure remaining, that in itself can be enough to keep the core in place.

Pins and posts are placed whenever added retention is needed, but if it is possible to avoid them, all the better.

Thanks for the response Zzz.... but I'm still not sure what the core buildup is for since I'm not having any crowns done. :redface: I had four teeth removed (in addition to this, I've had nearly all my molars extracted at various points over the years) & will be fitted for top & bottom partials, but no crowns anywhere. Maybe I'm just not understanding what all is entailed in the process of being fitted with partials? :(

Last edited:
Could you ring your dentist and ask to clarify? Maybe it is a mistake on the treatment plan, or maybe there has been some miscommunication between your dentist and yourself. The only way to find out for sure what is going on is to actually speak to them :).

Could you ring your dentist and ask to clarify? Maybe it is a mistake on the treatment plan, or maybe there has been some miscommunication between your dentist and yourself. The only way to find out for sure what is going on is to actually speak to them :).

That's why I was asking if there is some other reason that there would be a core buildup listing, as I'm not familiar with a lot of the terminology & what is what in the world of dentistry. I wasn't sure if that could be terminology used in reference to something to do with being fitted for my partials.... or something. Lol.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, I'll just give my dentist a call this morning. :)

One possibility is that the dentist wants to repair a tooth with what they just call a core buildup. Sometimes if a tooth requires a core and crown, the dentist will pop on what they refer to as a core buildup which is just a quicky jumbo filling. That tooth will then be ready for a possible crown in the future or just be left as a tooth with a core in it. It usually costs less than a filling as it's more of a quick job.

Maybe think of a core as just something that fills in what's missing inside the tooth so it's ready to be prepared and receive a crown at whatever time in the future - whether it be tomorrow or years down the line. If the tooth is in questionable condition and might need to be extracted later on, then a quick core fill might just fit the bill.

Back