• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Immediate dentures.

Mary

Mary

Hello.I was wondering ....when you get your front teeth pulled and the denture is placed does that help the bleeding stop?and also does it mean u have less chance of getting a dry socket?:(

Last edited:
A well fitting immediate denture can help with slowing the bleeding process. Often the blood will pool a bit underneath and clot up nicely without being disturbed by oral fluids, food, etc. I have heard that it can help reduce the chances of a dry socket, but really the occurence of dry socket is so infrequent, it's really hard to say.

With some people if they bleed longer than normal, sometimes I'll recommend taking the denture out and biting directly on gauze instead for a period of time.

Thank u.When u take the denture out does the suction pull out the bllod clots?Do the clots stick to the denture?:hidesbehindsofa:

Hi Mary,
When I first had my lower partial, I was petrified of trying to take it out the first time. What worked great for me was, rinsing my mouth with warm salt water, and holding the water in my mouth for a few seconds. It seemed to loosen the partial and was easy to take it out before gently rinsing my mouth properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much.I will definatly try that.The thought of taking them out and getting them back in...scares me.:hidesbehindsofa:

Just to let you know Mary, I had full immediate dentures fitted and took them out after 48 hours, no problem at all, and no problem in getting them back either.

Thank you so much.I will definatly try that.The thought of taking them out and getting them back in...scares me.:hidesbehindsofa:

Just take it easy the first time Mary, take your time and you'll be fine.
A wee tip tho........... fill the sink with water before you clean the partial......

I didnt, and was cleaning my partial when it slipped out of my hand and landed in the bath, (a bit like the scene in pretty woman when she tries eating the snails? lol)

Could have been worse hdf2, could have slipped down the loo!

thank u everyone....do you have to leave them out all night or can u just take them out and put them right back in.Not sure I want everyone to see you know.???:confused:

Take them out at night to give your gums a rest and pop them back in the morning after you've brushed them and brushed your mouth, gums, tongue etc.

Thank you...sorry to be such a pain in the butt.You all have helped me so much ...latly I have been reading here constantly.;D

Hi Mary,

I had my top partial immediate denture placed less than 48 hours ago. I was scared to death to take it out but it was really very easy and didn't cause me any pain at all. I too was worried about it pulling out the clots but it didn't do anything like that.

Hope that helps
T

How do u remove dentures

Sorry this is a stupied qestion...but I have had my top dentures in allmost 24 hours and I was windering how do I take them out?How long do I leave them out?Also can I start taking them out at night now?

Re: How do u remove dentures

If there's a bit of suction, you can try to say "HA" as you wiggle them out. Not that it's funny or anything, but it's more to try to blow air under the denture from behind and to break the palatal seal near the back. Make sure to do it over a towel just in case you drop it. One other trick is to balloon up your cheeks to break the seal at the edges. Try to get a finger around the cheek pocket and the edge of the denture to wiggle it out.

You can take it out to clean it, and then put it back in. Usually at night it's best to take it out, clean it, and keep it in some water to prevent dehydration and distortion.

Usually the dentist advises to keep them in either 24 or 48 hours, and then you take them out for overnight, clean them in the morning and pop them back in. At least asking the question seems like they must be a good fit and aren't loose. Anyhow, best way to remove is get both thumbs either side of the denture at the back, with your index fingers gripping the front, and gently rock it to loosen the adhesive (if you have any) and you will find it comes away.

Putting back more or less same action in reverse.

Thank u...I am scarde.One more qestion...will the suction from the denture suck out the blood clots in the front?Or is it pretty rare to get dry sockets in the front with stitches present.?

dENTURE qUESTIONS

:o Ok I got my denture yesterday(top)And it doesen't feel real tight.My dentist says he cant make it tight until it heals MORE>IS THIS TRUE?
AND IF IT IS TRUE THEN WHY DOES HE HAVE TO WAIT? IS THAT WHAT THE SOFT RELINE IS FOR?
ALSO THERE IS CLEAR SALTY FLUID STUFF LEAKING OUT...IS THAT NORMAL WHAT IS IT?

Yep, there should be no worries with dry sockets with anterior extractions. Taking the denture out shouldn't affect the blood clots as the denture just separates away.

Back