• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

do all silver filled teeth get cracks?

Yourbigpalal83

Yourbigpalal83

Ok. in a moment of paranoia, i went online to do research about teeth. of course bad idea.

Anyhow, some websites make silver fillings to be some evil force to teeth. Like, one even said somthing to the effects of if you have ANY silver fillings in your mouth, they will cause your teeth to crack no matter what..

Now, of course being the phobic i am, i got several fillings in my teeth. Some small, some large. I dont eat hard food, i sure as hell dont chew on ice anymore, etc. Now the fillings are roughly 2 years old (march 2007 was when i got my first ones)

short question...is this hype true that no matter what i do, the silver fillings will cause my teeth to crack and ill be in severe pain... or is it more of a way for dentists to sell us on tooth colored fillings, which i also hear arent as perfect as they clame to be.

I've got some silver fillings which date back over 30 years - they seem to be doing fine. White fillings are more technique-sensitive so you need a highly skilled dentist to get the best result with them. Do not let yourself be talked into changing silvers for composite just for the sake of it or for cosmetic reasons.

I have 6 heavily filled teeth (one of them is completely silver apart from one side and they have been like that for over 20 years, I did get a crack in one filling quite a few years back which caused very slight pain my dentist just cleaned it an fixed the crack. I also have one back tooth that is cracked lengthways but that has been like it for years and causes no problems. Up until this January when I lost a crown I have never watched what I eat (toffees, ice etc) I have only changed my eating habits now because of the crown. So unless they have changed the silver material I am quite sure they are strong, I always thought they were supposed to be stronger than the white ones.

I will be needing several crowns at some point as I know they wont last forever, plus they dont look great compared to all my front teeth but I will wait until my fillings fail before I do that

I had one heavily filled tooth crack last year after about hmm..24 years in my mouth. It was my fault, I was crunching polo mints. Anyway after some drama about a root treatment I had it refilled with a composite and now it's fine. Ive not had any other cracks, but whether you have fillings or not you should be careful not to crunch polo mints!

By the way topcat I thought you said you were eating toffee the other day... ;)

By the way topcat I thought you said you were eating toffee the other day... ;)

But thats not fair, I forgot revels had toffee ones !!! :rolleyes:

Once I realised I sucked the rest ;)

Back