• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can't chew, teeth broken in pain daily , losing weight, need encouragement please to get help ASAP!

K

kpaul91101

Can't chew, teeth broken in pain daily , losing weight, need encouragement please to get help ASAP!

:cry: I am 32 and terrified of having some broken teeth removed. I have had infections and swelling and live in pain with broken teeth. I can't chew food and down to 90 lbs or so. I also have hashimotos and fibromyalgia so its even harder to go in when you live in constant pain and fatigue. I fear being sedated and getting sick from the meds or them not working, I am also worried cause I have hashis or having a bad reaction to sedation. I need encouragement asap. I live in daily pain and seriously cant chew food because of my broken bad teeth, it's ruining my life and affecting my health. I would like to just get novacaine and have these pulled but I cant even get myself to go in. I was scheduled at the hospital yesterday for IV and left due to fear, anxiety and worry. I panicked and went home. :redface:Can someone please give me encouragement and share a story of what they went through and made it out ok? I am desperate. I have tried hypnosis, counseling, prayer and nothing even lessens this fear. Help:cry:

Re: Can't chew, teeth broken in pain daily , losing weight, need encouragement please to get help AS

I think you are going to find that the pain, fear and anxiety you are suffering right now are much worse than the treatment. I know how scary it is. I'm still struggling with my own dental anxiety, but I've noticed that nothing that actually happens during a procedure is anywhere near as bad as the worries my mind conjures. It sounds like you are at a point where you must act for your health. You can do it. :grouphug:

Last edited:
Re: Can't chew, teeth broken in pain daily , losing weight, need encouragement please to get help AS

Just over a year ago I was just like you about getting treatment, I had to find a new dentist when a tooth broke. I sat trying to think a way out of having to go, I must have picked up the phone a dozen or more times to phone and ask if it would be possible for me to attend the dental practice I decided on. I eventually did phone and in tears I spoke to the receptionist and explained what my situation was with the broken tooth and being phobic at that point. I could not even walk past a dentist without looking the other way and shaking and feeling like I was going to pass out.

I went to the appointment, I don't know how I got there, I felt like I was going to pass out, my chest was killing me it was so tight, it felt like I had pulled a muscle all across my chest. I was out of breath, my heart was pumping so much it felt like it was going to burst, and I was shaking so much I felt like my legs were going to buckle from under me. I got there and the first app went well, the dentist just had a look at my teeth with just a mirror and took an x ray, he gave me some antibiotics and was told to go back after I had finished them to have the broken tooth removed.

I had all sorts of thoughts going through my head about it being a big job and harder because it was broken. I went and once again I don't know how I got there, I was terrified, I did have the tooth removed and had a panic attack, but he was so quick and considerate. Because I was so worked up I felt exhausted and wobbly coming out, but it wasn't anything he had done it was what I had done to myself with the worry and stress.

I think everybody on here has done this to themselves, so we all understand where you are coming from. I had to return to have the tooth next to the one taken out treated, I had to decide whether to have a rct or another extraction, I went for the appointment and I didn't even get to the chair, I stood in the door way and I must have looked like a mad woman because as I stood in the doorway he just talked to me and asked what I wanted to do, I said I didn't want to lose it but to take it out because I couldn't do a root canal treatment. He spent half an hour just talking to me and said that he didn't want to do anything that day as I was too upset and to come back the week after for an extraction appointment but for me to think about it and if I changed my mind to phone up and tell them because I would need a longer appointment. I did change my mind and I did have the rct and another after that.

If you could get yourself there again, and let them look after you and try not to get to the panic'd state that is out of control, and put your faith in the person that is going to do the job, I think you will be surprised at how well you do and that you can indeed have this done.

I am so grateful to the dentist I saw just allowing me that extra time, and I was and still am fine and you will be too.

I really hope that you can gain the courage to go back and get the treatment, you will feel so good after and so much better than you do now. You feel like you are walking on air and you feel like you have conquered a mountain. Good luck :clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover: :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

I think you are going to find that the pain, fear and anxiety you are suffering right now are much worst than the treatment. I know how scary it is. I'm still struggling with my own dental anxiety, but I've noticed that nothing that actually happens during a procedure is anywhere near as bad as the worries my mind conjures. It sounds like you are at a point where you must act for your health. You can do it. :grouphug:

THAT answer is worthy of a sticky on the homepage!

It's amazing how much suffering we put ourselves through on the basis of a long-passed experience.

Thanks, FIO, great post.

Steve

I agree we do more to ourselves than any dentist could ever do to us :ROFLMAO:

Just over a year ago I was just like you about getting treatment, I had to find a new dentist when a tooth broke. I sat trying to think a way out of having to go, I must have picked up the phone a dozen or more times to phone and ask if it would be possible for me to attend the dental practice I decided on. I eventually did phone and in tears I spoke to the receptionist and explained what my situation was with the broken tooth and being phobic at that point. I could not even walk past a dentist without looking the other way and shaking and feeling like I was going to pass out.

I went to the appointment, I don't know how I got there, I felt like I was going to pass out, my chest was killing me it was so tight, it felt like I had pulled a muscle all across my chest. I was out of breath, my heart was pumping so much it felt like it was going to burst, and I was shaking so much I felt like my legs were going to buckle from under me. I got there and the first app went well, the dentist just had a look at my teeth with just a mirror and took an x ray, he gave me some antibiotics and was told to go back after I had finished them to have the broken tooth removed.

I had all sorts of thoughts going through my head about it being a big job and harder because it was broken. I went and once again I don't know how I got there, I was terrified, I did have the tooth removed and had a panic attack, but he was so quick and considerate. Because I was so worked up I felt exhausted and wobbly coming out, but it wasn't anything he had done it was what I had done to myself with the worry and stress.

I think everybody on here has done this to themselves, so we all understand where you are coming from. I had to return to have the tooth next to the one taken out treated, I had to decide whether to have a rct or another extraction, I went for the appointment and I didn't even get to the chair, I stood in the door way and I must have looked like a mad woman because as I stood in the doorway he just talked to me and asked what I wanted to do, I said I didn't want to lose it but to take it out because I couldn't do a root canal treatment. He spent half an hour just talking to me and said that he didn't want to do anything that day as I was too upset and to come back the week after for an extraction appointment but for me to think about it and if I changed my mind to phone up and tell them because I would need a longer appointment. I did change my mind and I did have the rct and another after that.

If you could get yourself there again, and let them look after you and try not to get to the panic'd state that is out of control, and put your faith in the person that is going to do the job, I think you will be surprised at how well you do and that you can indeed have this done.

I am so grateful to the dentist I saw just allowing me that extra time, and I was and still am fine and you will be too.

I really hope that you can gain the courage to go back and get the treatment, you will feel so good after and so much better than you do now. You feel like you are walking on air and you feel like you have conquered a mountain. Good luck :clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover: :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Thank you for sharing your story and encouragement, I really appreciate it greatly. It's hard to find a great dentist in MN. I am happy to hear your story about your fear and glad there is hope. I pray I get courage soon, I live in daily pain and fear etc. Bless you for reaching out to me and I hope to get these teeth out soon!!!

Thank you to everyone for the encouragement, It means a lot ! At least I have a funny story to share about it, my husband said he'd never seen anyone bolt out of a hospital as quick as I did, I didn't get the needed treatment but at least can look back and smile over this! Thanks to everyone who listened to my fears and experiences and I also wish strength and courage in facing their fears. It is not easy and takes a lot of courage to face fear head on. Be proud of yourself, all who have managed to get their dental treatment and for those who haven't, don't give up!

:cry: I am 32 and terrified of having some broken teeth removed. I have had infections and swelling and live in pain with broken teeth. I can't chew food and down to 90 lbs or so. I also have hashimotos and fibromyalgia so its even harder to go in when you live in constant pain and fatigue. I fear being sedated and getting sick from the meds or them not working, I am also worried cause I have hashis or having a bad reaction to sedation. I need encouragement asap. I live in daily pain and seriously cant chew food because of my broken bad teeth, it's ruining my life and affecting my health. I would like to just get novacaine and have these pulled but I cant even get myself to go in. I was scheduled at the hospital yesterday for IV and left due to fear, anxiety and worry. I panicked and went home. :redface:Can someone please give me encouragement and share a story of what they went through and made it out ok? I am desperate. I have tried hypnosis, counseling, prayer and nothing even lessens this fear. Help:cry:
Hello! I completely understand where you are coming from! I have never had any surgeries, sedations, etc. I have however been to dentist for cleaning, extractions, fillings, etc. Recently I had to go in for wisdom tooth removal. I chose to be sedated. The dentist put the iv in my arm and I was crying and in the middle of telling her I had anxiety and the next thing I knew, I was waking up and they were sending me home. I have absolutely no memory. Once you address your worries with them, they do very good at keeping you comfortable. I assure you, the time is gonna go by so fast and you will be out of their before you know it! If I can do it, I have faith in you to do it! Just keep imagining how great you will feel after! Go for it and good luck on the new you :)

Back