• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Feel sick taking antibiotics?

S

scared2bthere

Does anyone feel sick while taking antibiotics? I'm on a higher does of amoxicillin and I have been feeling more sick to my stomach, weak and tired. Flu like symptoms. I seem to remember in the past I didn't feel well while on them either for another issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for moving my post

What's the dosage on it?

I've definitely heard of some people feeling sick while on antibiotics. I've heard that things with ginger are a great help in alleviating an icky stomach.

What's the dosage on it?

I've definitely heard of some people feeling sick while on antibiotics. I've heard that things with ginger are a great help in alleviating an icky stomach.

I'm on 500 mg 4 x a day

Make sure you are eating enough food and follow the instructions on the bottle for taking the pills before food/ after food etc whatever it says.

Antibiotics are drugs with side effects just like all other drugs. Some people react well to one drug while others react badly to the same drug. Higher doses can do that too. I can take erythromycin with no prob, but a friend gets cramps and diarrhea and can't/won't take it. The amoxicillins are probably given first (unless there's an allergy) because of all the stuff out there they have the least frequent nasty side effects. Definitely keep food in your stomach, stay away from spicy stuff for a bit, and drink more water. No alcohol. If you absolutely can't hack it, call and get something else. Good luck.

Nausea is a common side-effect of antibiotics. You can take an over the counter anti-nausea medication (the kind they sell for motion sickness) 1/2 hour prior to taking the antibiotic. This helps.

To be on the safe side (since I am not a doctor) run it by the pharmacist just to make sure there isn't a reason why you should not do this.

Thanks guys. It subsided a bit after I ran out but am back on them so I'll just go with it and do the best I can. Tooth is out now at least so maybe that area will get some relief in a few days. Sore...