• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How can you tell if you need a filling or root canal?!

K

Kat585

Former Member
Right.

After 6 years I've somehow found the courage somewhere to book an appointment with the dentist, I'm only 18 and TERRIFIED of dentists and I don't know how I'll even manage to get through a check up. But the reason I've felt I want to go is one of my molars is slightly dis coloured and has a couple of black spots in, it is a tiny bit sensitive to hot and cold and and a tiny bit sensitive when I bite down on something hard. I'm really frightened that it could need a root canal? I'd much rather have to deal with just a filling, please please someone help and just tell me how to know if you need a filling, or root canal. Also, my Wisdoms are coming through, they seem fine and arnet bothering me atall but I've read that dentists take them out loads? Will mine have to be pulled? or is it not actually that common to have to have your wisdom teeth out? please help :(

Thanks

Dentists determine the pulpal status of the tooth based on tests (xrays, cold, electric pulp test, tapping on the tooth, etc.). If the tooth fails these tests then it needs a root canal. You can keep your wisdom teeth, as long as they don't compromise the health of your second molars. Most dentists do recommend to take them out because they are tough to keep clean and can cause a problem in the future.

I hope that helps!

Most dentists do recommend to take them out because they are tough to keep clean and can cause a problem in the future.

It varies from country to country - the current guidelines in the UK for example say not to take out wisdom teeth which are not causing a problem. In contrast, in the US, it is generally recommended that all but the most functional of wizzies are removed (although of course, there is obviously an element of choice involved, as nobody can force you into having them removed).

If it helps any, I just had a deep filling done and it was worse than the root canal I had done in January in terms of discomfort. Neither were particularly bad though. The important thing is to tell the dentist once you feel any pain and they will then give you more anaesthetic.

In the case of my latest filling I had two shots of the normal anaesthetic (lidocaine?) and I was still having some pain so I told him and he gave me two shots of something called Septocaine which really worked well. After that I could not feel ANYTHING. It was amazing. Maybe discuss your concerns about getting completely numb with the dentist before he begins, that way you can make sure he understands your concerns and you will be on the same page if the initial shots aren't enough to make you completely numb and you need more.

It varies from country to country - the current guidelines in the UK for example say not to take out wisdom teeth which are not causing a problem. In contrast, in the US, it is generally recommended that all but the most functional of wizzies are removed (although of course, there is obviously an element of choice involved, as nobody can force you into having them removed).

Excellent point. We're taught to extract if it compromises the periodontal health of the second molar.

Back