• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sedation for a filling?

A

Apromollo

I have numerous fillings I need to get taken care of and as some of you already know, I just don't believe it's possible with the normal "3 shots and let's go method."

When getting simple fillings is it possible to get other forms of sedation aside from the gas or taking medicine before? Gas doesn't work for me and I'm leary about the pills (Valium) because they may take away anxiety, but it may still hurt :shame:

I'm sorry if all this sounds silly but I am unbelievably terrified of the dentist, please help!

Well the only remaining form of sedation would be IV sedation, it's certainly possible to have that to get fillings done, there's a good explanation about the different forms of sedation here on the site, go and have a read up about it.

I have only recently plucked up the courage to get my teeth sorted out, after years of severe Dental phobia. All of the work has been done under IV sedation, which was brilliant! I found a lovely Dentist, who is very good with nervous patients. The IV involves only a small needle in the back of your hand, just slightly uncomfortable, not painful at all. The only down side is the cost of £120. I have no memory of any of the treatment, and just wish that I had known about this years ago! My Dentist said that some people have sedation for very minor procedures, only you know how you feel. I hope you can find a Dentist who can help you.

Okay, thanks!

There are dentists here have the iv sedation option and this pill thing that makes you extremely calm for about 6 hours or so. I was hoping that the IV thing was available for fillings though.

I have numerous fillings I need to get taken care of and as some of you already know, I just don't believe it's possible with the normal "3 shots and let's go method."

When getting simple fillings is it possible to get other forms of sedation aside from the gas or taking medicine before? Gas doesn't work for me and I'm leary about the pills (Valium) because they may take away anxiety, but it may still hurt :shame:

I'm sorry if all this sounds silly but I am unbelievably terrified of the dentist, please help!

Why don't you just have a normal local anaesthetic:)

Why don't you just have a normal local anaesthetic:)

See how this site is called "Dental Fear Central"? There may be a wee clue there... :)

Well you may be right:) But there is really nothing to be scared of. It all depends on your dentists and his skills.

Well you may be right:) But there is really nothing to be scared of. It all depends on your dentists and his skills.

Well that's certainly true and I am a great advocate for treatment with just local and TLC myself but it wasn't very constructive for a first post on a dental phobia website...so please read around a bit more to get a better feel for this community before posting again...;)

Back