• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

COPD, breathing issue

B

bioflame

Hello all,
I have COPD, which means a lung breathing issue, and I have excess mucous, which means I need to cough at times. Im afraid that will mean interrupting the dental procedure & quite frankly its embarrassing.

I have been very afraid of dentists from years of painful memories from childhood. I am afraid to get a deep cleaning, which I need badly. I dont do well laying down flat in a dental chair. I dont want to sound like a whiner, but the older I get, the more afraid I become of "procedures". I feel out of control....I feel the medical professionals are in control of me.

I am loving your website. Thx for being here for all of us.

Last edited:
Hello bioflame:

Welcome to this forum.

I understand your concerns with COPD. Dentists are usually aware of the needs of patients with this condition. It is quite common and nothing to be embarrassed about having.

Setting up a stop signal to cough is not a big deal. This happen quite often. People with asthma, allergies, colds or many other things also need to do this. Just inform them about this condition and they should be happy to accommodate your needs. This means not reclining chair which many people can not deal for various reasons.

Childhood trauma can be very powerful and long lasting. It evokes powerful memories of having no control over what is being done to you.

As an adult you have the right to make choices. If you do not like something you can stop it. This is far different from childhood.

You will find that most dentists are willing to work with you and listen to your needs, wants and desires. Dentistry has made huge improvements over the last few years.

You are not being "whiny." You are asking to be treated with dignity and respect, sounds like very normal requests to me.

You can usually set up a free consultation appointment to discuss what treatment will fit your needs. This allows you to see if you will be able to work with the dentist. If you feel you will not then you can go to a different one.

Take charge and take action. Avoiding the issue only makes it worse.
I know you can do it.

All the best. :)

Hello bioflame:

Welcome to this forum.

I understand your concerns with COPD. Dentists are usually aware of the needs of patients with this condition. It is quite common and nothing to be embarrassed about having.

Setting up a stop signal to cough is not a big deal. This happen quite often. People with asthma, allergies, colds or many other things also need to do this. Just inform them about this condition and they should be happy to accommodate your needs. This means not reclining chair which many people can not deal for various reasons.

Childhood trauma can be very powerful and long lasting. It evokes powerful memories of having no control over what is being done to you.

As an adult you have the right to make choices. If you do not like something you can stop it. This is far different from childhood.

You will find that most dentists are willing to work with you and listen to your needs, wants and desires. Dentistry has made huge improvements over the last few years.

You are not being "whiny." You are asking to be treated with dignity and respect, sounds like very normal requests to me.

You can usually set up a free consultation appointment to discuss what treatment will fit your needs. This allows you to see if you will be able to work with the dentist. If you feel you will not then you can go to a different one.

Take charge and take action. Avoiding the issue only makes it worse.
I know you can do it.

All the best. :)

Stress Doc, you are so wonderful. You made my day!
I did feel I was being winey,and my medical COPD issue would keep me from dental treatment. And yes, childhood dramas can be devastating.
I will bne making a dental apt - as soon as I get up the nerve - my hubby will help me Im sure.

Thank you again

Back