• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

new denture wearer - extreme bone/gum pain

F

fearful

Hi there, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice or tell me that this is normal...I'm getting more and more down with each day. I'm 36 yrs old, 7 weeks ago I had all my upper teeth extracted and all lowers except 6 front teeth removed. Exactly a week ago today I got my new dentures put in...I'm not having that much pain when they are in. I do have some bone fragments/shards coming through my gums (especially at the front and sides) and those do hurt at times when I bite down or chew. My real problem is the pain I experience removing and especially inserting the top denture. It feels like its scraping against the bone and it hurts so much that it makes my eyes water each time. I left them out all night last night, and this morning was so excrutiating when I put them in that I'm terrified to remove them for cleaning.

I should also mention the day the denturist was placing my denture in, he noticed a large bony mass at the front of my gums and said the denture would "crush the bone". I saw him a couple times last week and I just thought the pain on removing/inserting would get better in a few days as my gums got used to the denture. The denturist has instructed me to come back in about a month and he would see how much my gums had shrunk at that time.

Is this normal, and will it go away with time? I've done a lot of searching this past weekend and I haven't found anyone complaining of pain with removing and inserting their denture as I have. I'm so frustrated and worried about this that I'm just tempted to put the denture away for a couple weeks and hope that the bone/gums will heal by then. I love my new teeth, but it just isn't worth the trouble and pain right now. :(

Sorry this is so long, and thanks for any replies!

The denture needs adjusted as soon as possible. Immediate insertion dentures need reviewed within 48hrs ideally.

Back