• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

panic

1. M

Molar extraction - IV Sedation - full blown panic

Y’all I’m panicking and I don’t see how I can possibly go through with my dental appt tomorrow. I tried to see my therapist yesterday to possibly get some Xanax or something (I’ve never taken any meds - I’m meds phobic as well but my level of panic is unbearable) but she didn’t want to have me...
  2. M

IV sedation - so scared

Hello all, This is my third post about this, and as the day draws closer my anxiety grows as well. I think I’m actually having a nervous breakdown. I cannot stop feeling like I will certainly die with IV sedation. I am writing letters to my daughter and husband, making sure to have everything...
  3. M

Dental Phobia - Iv Sedation

Hello all, I have developed pretty extensive dental phobia over the years to having my lower jaw numb. So much so it has caused me to avoid the dentist all together unless it’s an emergency…and of course, it’s an emergency now 😭 I have a lower molar with a large filling that last week become...
  4. G

How long can I put up with an infection (and panic!)

Hi. I have/had an infection in a cracked tooth. I have seen my dentist twice about this and he gave me first a course of 200mg Metronidazole (the only antibiotic I'm good with), and then a couple weeks later, another course of the same, but this time 400mg tablets. I don't know if it's still...
  5. F

Embarrassed after 14 years without care

I have been in a world of a mess with my teeth, keeping it a secret from everyone that I haven't visited the dentist in 14 years. Some kind of kick-in-the-a$$ intervention from the universe stepped in last weekend, and now I have my first appointment tomorrow. Gradually over the last several...
  6. _IHateTeeth_

I panic when numb -- I need a root canal. Help!

My Dentist is telling me I need a root canal and I am panicking. It's been the 1 procedure that the thought of has scared me the most, even more than my wisdom teeth removal. Even typing this out my heart is pounding and I feel panicky. I absolutely hate being numbed. Even simple fillings can...
  7. G

Help needed regarding next steps to take, I'm getting to my wits end!

Hi. I'm sorry to have to post yet another thread, but my problems are increasing rather than decreasing. I joined this site because I have had clinical depression, anxiety and stress for nearly 40 years! Just to recap, I had my first molar on the top, left side extracted a few weeks ago. Since...
  8. L

Really freaked out about my teeth, please help.

Hi, so I've been struggling with this problem for about a week. I'm really concerned, because I've never experienced this before. My upper front teeth feel very weird and it's hard to pinpoint which tooth is the culprit. They don't actually ache, they just feel very strange, like they don't fit...
  9. A

I'm in so much pain and I can't get help because of my fear

I'm 25 years old, and have had a dental phobia ever since I was a kid and had some experiences with a dentist who didn't know how to work with children. This was when I was 6 or 7. Since then, I have only gone to the dentist twice. Once in 2011, for a molar extraction. The abscess had gotten...
  10. N

Kind of freaking out after having wisdom teeth removed

Hello, I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed about three days ago. I was put out for the procedure so that is not whats bothering me. Having these holes in my mouth is just freaking me out to be honest. I am too afraid to eat anything and I cant stop making sure there is nothing in them...
  11. L

Nervousness about existing fillings.

So I have had this fear before but would like to maybe address the question a bit more. I have 8 fillings after years of neglect due to anxiety and emotional abuse (I was trapped in a bad domestic abuse situation), and I am on the downward side of stabilizing my life again. One thing that I...
  12. A

Horrified of IV Sedation

I have two wisdom teeth left that need to come out. The bottom one is impacted the top one is rotted out. I have generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder and not being in control terrifies me. I’ve been begging to have my teeth removed under local but no one will do it and are insisting I...
  13. R

Need My Wisdom Teeth (+1) out and I'm Horrified

I went to the dentist because of a broken tooth (which needs to be removed) and found out I need all four of my wisdom teeth out. Apparently they're impacted, even though I have no idea what that means when it comes to teeth. They're causing me no pain whatsoever (neither is the broken tooth)...
  14. S

MAJOR panic attacks about teeth extraction. Need help ASAP.

I am getting all four of my wisdom teeth removed in 4 days... All are impacted. I am going to be under moderate oral sedation, and laughing gas. But I am terrified! I know anxiety makes oral sedation less effective, which actually made me more scared that I'll be too aware. I originally wanted...
  15. K

For Agoraphobics And Those With Panic Attacks

So...I kinda wanted to tell my success story and give hope to those with agoraphobia and panic attacks. I must have browsed this website a million times looking for some shred of hope when suffering from dental pain and fear of going to the dentist! I think we often have the mindset that "My...
  16. A

Dentist+Tourettes=Complete Panic

Hello everyone, I will begin by saying that this is a lot, and I apologize. I just have some questions and serious fears regarding my upcoming dentist appointment, and any advice or insight could go a long way, especially in preparing me for the whole thing. My biggest fear is not knowing. I...
  17. M

Extreme Wisdom teeth removal anxiety

I've struggled with anxiety for as long as I am remember, it used to be social and would manifest itself in my getting out of crowds as quickly as possible. Now it impacts me more in day to day life like going to the dentist and anything that involves medical anything. I am gettin all four...
  18. J

Extraction of infected tooth: quick, easy, sheer relief!!

Hi all I found out recently I had chronic infection underneath a 12 year old crown. I've watched the gum getting puffy and dark purple around it. Dealt with a persistent bad taste and bad smell. Didn't want to face dealing with it but simply knew I had to, despite my fear. My new dentist...
  19. N

Terrifed is a HUGE understatement

Hello All, I have to have ALL my teeth extracted end of this month and dentures put in. I have have had extreme panic disorder for decades which makes things even harder. I don't want to google or watch youtube too much as I am afraid people will be telling horror stories and I don't need any...
  20. C

Need to go to the Dentist Again- Scared to Death!!

Can anyone please help? I need to go to the dentist again & I am scared to death. I have terrible teeth. Have been in the Dentist chair since a very small child. I have a lot of teeth that need to be worked on & I am scared to death. Every I think about it, I start having a panic attach, shaking...
Back