• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

sedation

1. M

Molar extraction - IV Sedation - full blown panic

Y’all I’m panicking and I don’t see how I can possibly go through with my dental appt tomorrow. I tried to see my therapist yesterday to possibly get some Xanax or something (I’ve never taken any meds - I’m meds phobic as well but my level of panic is unbearable) but she didn’t want to have me...
  2. M

Upper wisdom extracted under IV sedation- success!!!

I really wanted to tell you all my experience as reading all of yours was sooooo helpful! I had my upper wisdom tooth taken out yesterday and it was an absolute BREEZE. I have always been a bit nervous of the dentist but it has gotten worse over the years to the point where I am in tears...
  3. S

Sedation questions

Hey, I am facing my fears and working with my dentist. We’ve talked about having sedation for anything above a small filling. Most people I’ve spoken to can’t remember the experience. So my question is, what are patients like whilst sedated? Are they relaxed and not distressed? My concern is...
  4. pinyonjay2

My IV Sedation Success Story

I finally got IV Sedation for two large fillings done, on Thursday the 26th of September. It went really well I thought, although a few things could have been better but I'll explain that at the end. The fillings were for a broken amalgam and a cavity & old amalgam on my bottom left two molars...
  5. _IHateTeeth_

It took 12 years for me to get my wisdom teeth out. I did it!

Why it took 12 years to get them out..... I thought I would share my story with you all since all my "normal" friends and family don't understand the power dental phobia can have over a person. Since childhood (I'm 30 now) I have been getting cleanings and fillings every 6 months. Even though...
  6. O

26 extractions at once

Hello! I am getting all of my teeth (26) pulled in a month. I'll be under IV sedation but I am SO SCARED. Can't breathe, chest hurts, scared! Is there anyone who has had multiple teeth pulled that can tell me what to expect. I'm so nervous I'm considering canceling my appointment. Thank you.
  7. A

Freaking out about wisdom teeth + 2 broken molars extraction appointment!

Hey, y'all. I go in a week to an oral surgeon to have my first extractions ever. I'm getting all four wisdom teeth pulled (they've fully erupted) and two broken molars cut out. I have had an extreme fear of dentists and anything to do with dental work or teeth for probably more than 15 years now...
  8. B

Literally in the chair.

Hi guys! Could use some support. Havent been to the dentist in a few years for lack of insurance, and now im finally here... I wound up needing two root canals+crowns, and two extractions. One was already extracted, due to a horrible infection, but today, in about an hour, they're gonna extract...
  9. H

Panic Disorder, Bone Graft, and Halcion

Hello everyone, It's truly wonderful that these forums exist. I've actually already found some incredibly optimistic posts that have eased my mind significantly. That being said, I'd really appreciate any insight on the following. Just to give you the general idea of my situation, I am...
  10. D

Hypodontia help! Very nervous and worried about the future

Hey all, new guy around here! I’m an 18 year old guy from the U.K., and I suffer from hypodontia on my two upper secondary premolars. I currently have two baby teeth there still, which have done very well so far, but on my last visit my dentist took an X-ray and said that the one on the right...
  11. JJones86

Sedation: Triazolam and Nitrous

Hi everyone. Has anyone had experience with the medication Triazolam? I've been prescribed Triazolam 0.25 mg to take for a gum graft and bone graft surgery I'm going to have. I'm supposed to take one pill the night before and one pill an hour before my appointment. I'm also going to use...
  12. S

Iv Sedation root canal

hi all I’m getting a root canal on my lower left molar and it has a huge abscess. I’m getting a sedation iv but I’ve heard you Are still awake. It’s two appointments are in terrified I’ve had awful experiences before in which I ended up in the hospital because of the pain. can anyone give me...
  13. T

Please help me take the first step

Hi, So I haven’t been to the dentist in quite some time, about 16 years! I feel really embarrassed admitting that but I’ve always struggled at the dentist. I can’t open my mouth very wide and I find it hard to keep my mouth open without reaching. I went to the dentist for regular check-ups...
  14. A

Horrified of IV Sedation

I have two wisdom teeth left that need to come out. The bottom one is impacted the top one is rotted out. I have generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder and not being in control terrifies me. I’ve been begging to have my teeth removed under local but no one will do it and are insisting I...
  15. S

MAJOR anxiety attacks about teeth removal. Need help ASAP.

I am getting all four of my wisdom teeth removed in 4 days... All are impacted. I am going to be under moderate oral sedation, and laughing gas. But I am terrified! I know anxiety makes oral sedation less effective, which actually made me more scared that I'll be too aware. I originally wanted...
  16. S

Oral Sedation? Does it work well??

I'm having my wisdom teeth removed this Thursday. (4 at once. All are impacted) My oral surgeon has prescribed pills for me to take, most people only need two but I'm gonna take all 3 for max sedation, (I'll be on laughing gas too.) But I'm worried I won't be sedated enough. I can't do IV...
  17. S

Oral Sedation?

I'm having my wisdom teeth removed this Thursday. (4 at once. All are impacted) My oral surgeon has prescribed pills for me to take, most people only need two but I'm gonna take all 3 for max sedation, (I'll be on laughing gas too.) But I'm worried I won't be sedated enough. I can't do IV...
  18. E

phobic, avoided work for years, sedation and extractions

Hey all, Thought I'd share my experience here in case it resonates wirh someone and helps even a little. When i was younger i had surgery to fix a minor underbite. I had braces for about 5 years at the same time as well. Needless to say at that point i developed an aversion to people messing...
  19. P

Being sedated... terrified of needles!!!

I am getting my wisdom teeth out in 2 weeks at an oral surgeon's office. Fortunately, I only have 2 wisdom teeth and they are the top ones and are mostly erupted. So as far as wisdom teeth go, I have it good (according to the surgeon lol). I will be put to sleep (they use what's called "deep...
  20. R

8 extractions

I went to the dentist today for the first time in about 12 years. I have some pretty serious tooth decay so I knew it wouldn't be good news. He told me I need to get 4 of my molars removed AND all of my wisdom teeth. A molar had an infection so I'm now on antibiotics. They are scheduling a...
Back