• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

terrified

1. prettybees

vent

i had a traumatic experience with a dentist when i was really young. it seems silly but i didn’t know what a dentist was before one came to my classroom and i was forced to get checked up in front of the whole class while i was sobbing. i was adamant after that to not see one, would throw fits...
  2. conqueringfears

Crippling anxiety ahead of root canal

Hi everyone. I have one week left until my first root canal treatment. Waking up everyday in an utter panic. I have had 3 root canals done, last being about 7 years ago, but my goodness.... my mind is treating me like this is a danger. That's due to an extreme phobia of numbing (the injections...
  3. G

I tried to deal with my dental phobia but I feel like I’m failing.

For me trying to deal with the phobia began when my health anxiety surrounding a failed root canal I had became too great to ignore. I found a phobia friendly dentist and mustered up the courage to go. They told me the same thing I’d been told years earlier, I needed a repeat root canal...
  4. T

Please help me take the first step

Hi, So I haven’t been to the dentist in quite some time, about 16 years! I feel really embarrassed admitting that but I’ve always struggled at the dentist. I can’t open my mouth very wide and I find it hard to keep my mouth open without reaching. I went to the dentist for regular check-ups...
  5. A

Beyond Absolutely Terrified

It's been a ridiculously long time since I was at the dentist. 15 years or so. I've never had great dental habits anyway. But, two years ago, my dad died. I fell into a depression and stopped taking care of myself. I've recently climbed out of that hole and am determined to get myself back on...
  6. P

Terrified of having my wisdom teeth out!!! Help!!

I've never had any type of surgery before... not even the most minor procedure. Not even stitches. Nearly 2 years ago, one of my upper wisdom teeth started growing. I went to the dentist a couple months later for a normal cleaning and he took a full pano x-ray and said that it looks like my top...
  7. V

Does IV sedation help with gag reflex?

Hi there, I have had severe fear of dentists since I was a child and in addition this has been amplified by my strong gag reflex that has become even stronger lately. I had always been avoiding going to the dentist (even though I had a very understanding one) until I absolutely had no other...
  8. L

Terrified about extractions, need partial denture

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here and I'm petrified. I'm nearly 25 years old and a female, and I've had issues with abscesses and my teeth in general for years. Way too long, because of my fear of root canals/dentists. I know that abscesses are serious problems and I am extremely...
  9. H

Need to visit the Dentist, but Terrified to Ask

Hello, everyone. Well, I believe I've had at least one abscessed tooth (hopefully that's it) and other tooth problems for a while now and today I decided to look more into what could happen if one was to be left untreated. I immediately broke down and admitted (to myself) that I HAD to go to the...
  10. R

Help with pain management

Hi i am new here and new to any sort of Forum. I am a 39 year old senior manager with a desperate and debilitating fear of the dentist. It started from a very traumatic experience as a child and I have only ever managed to see a dentist when my pain becomes too unbearable. I currently have a...
  11. J

Terrified, embarrassed, and concerned

I retired from the military 10 years ago and one of the greatest realizations I had was knowing that I no longer HAD to go to the dentist. I managed to go to two appointments over the next two years, and that has been it. I thought, as long as I brush and use dental pics it won't be a problem...
  12. N

Extraction of 3 teeth tomorrow so scared please help me not back out

Hi, For 12 years now I have needed teeth removing I was only 11 the first time I went to hospital to have a tooth removed and completely freaked out and didn't get it done, this happened several times and on that time 2 more teeth went bad and more needed removing so I got myself into even more...
  13. S

TERRIFIED, please help me to feel calm. (surgery in 1 week!)

So, I finally made the appointment for my wisdom teeth extraction and it's in 1 WEEK. I thought I could handle myself but I'm still terrified. 1. I HATE needles. I've passed out/almost passed out with needles before. Not because of pain, just the idea. Is it the same/worse/better than getting...
  14. L

need to see a dentist but i am so scared :(

hi people im new to this but i thought id join because i feel i need some support and help. i am 27 :( i have needed work doing on my teeth for a while now, a good few years infact. i have been putting it off all the time because i just darent go but my teeth are now in so much need of getting...
  15. M

Terrified or losing my teeth or having teeth removed at the dentist. Have been in tears about this.

Terrified or losing my teeth or having teeth removed at the dentist. Have been in tears about this. It's a long story, but simply put, I have always had teeth problems (I have had lots of work done so far, mainly fillings - I'm 22 years old). I have been trying my best to look after my teeth...
  16. N

I need 3 retained roots removing under GA and absolutely terrified! Please help

I need 3 retained roots removing under GA and absolutely terrified! Please help Hi, I'm a 22 year old female with a crippling fear of dentists,needles,hospitals,anasthetic you name it......the list goes on, I have anxiety issues in general and know that I tend to over think things and make...
  17. T

Totally Terrified

my fear of dentists started with the school dentist taking out my canine teeth and went downhill from there. my children even went to the dentist room on their own so they couldn't see how scared I was. I've even stood by the door with the dentist shining a light in my general direction to see...
  18. valentine

HELP! Anyone know a caring dentist/oral surg in east bay California? -TERRIFIED!!!!!!!! ):

HELP! Anyone know a caring dentist/oral surg in east bay California? -TERRIFIED!!!!!!!! ): Im terrified of the dentist because of bad past experiences and now Im in constant pain with 5 horrible teeth (3 being badly cracked/chipped) and I feel like Im just screwed now. I have no dental...
  19. F

I need to see an oral surgeon, but I can't find the courage to get the consultation

I need to see an oral surgeon, but I can't find the courage to get the consultation I had bad gum pain in my mouth that felt like it did when I had periodontitus years ago. I went to the dentist and he did x-rays. He said there is a lot of infection, I need 7 teeth extracted. 3 are roots...
  20. A

Starting my deep cleaning treatment tomorrow, I m FREAKING OUT!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Starting my deep cleaning treatment tomorrow, I m FREAKING OUT!!!!!!!!!!! :( So here I m, making a new post again.... I survived my oral surgery a couple weeks ago ( I had the laugh gas, local anesthesia and IV sedation), recovery went much more smoothly than what I thought :) And tomorrow I m...
Back