• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

anxiety

1. Jolt

So it begins...

Hey all, 35/m here. After being the silent observer in these forums for a couple of years, I've decided to break my silence because, well, it's time to face the music and embark on this dental adventure. Thought it might be beneficial to document the journey, even if it turns out that I fail...
  2. A

Anxiety about the number of fillings I have and if I will need more

Hey Everyone, I’ve only just found this site and thought I’d give it a go. Basically I’m 31 and have got a lot of white fillings. A combination of eating loads of sweets and diet carbonated drinks through my life (worse when I was younger). My last appointment in 2022 had three more and not seen...
  3. M

IV Sedation Journey

Hello all, I’ve posted on here quite a few times and here I am again 😰 on Thursday at 11am I will be undergoing iv sedation for a molar extraction/bone graft and 5 fillings on my right side. To say I am nervous is an understatement. I have put off dental treatment for years and ended up with...
  4. S

Should floss go this deep or is this gum disease?

I feel like floss is going super deep in this particular tooth and there is a slight pain when it's happening, is this gum disease?
  5. M

New phobia unlocked 😰 Local Anesthesia Toxicity

Hello, I have posted quite a few times as I’m struggling with dental phobia and am going to have IV sedation for a lower molar extraction and having 5 cavities filled (3 upper 2 lower). I have now developed panic regarding the local used. I will be sedated so I am worried if something...
  6. M

Amoxicillin for 1 month while waiting on appt

Hello, I developed tooth pain the Sunday after thanksgiving (11/26) and saw a random dentist that Monday. X-ray didn’t really show infection, but since the tooth (lower molar on left side - not furthest back but the one in front of it) had a huge filling done in it 4 years ago the dentist said...
  7. M

Molar extraction - IV Sedation - full blown panic

Y’all I’m panicking and I don’t see how I can possibly go through with my dental appt tomorrow. I tried to see my therapist yesterday to possibly get some Xanax or something (I’ve never taken any meds - I’m meds phobic as well but my level of panic is unbearable) but she didn’t want to have me...
  8. M

IV sedation - so scared

Hello all, This is my third post about this, and as the day draws closer my anxiety grows as well. I think I’m actually having a nervous breakdown. I cannot stop feeling like I will certainly die with IV sedation. I am writing letters to my daughter and husband, making sure to have everything...
  9. M

Really really scared, crying everyday, lost job over this anxiety of being sedated

Hello all, I have a lower molar that is infected under a large filling on my left bottom side and has to come out. I also need 10 fillings and another broken molar on my right side but that one isn’t giving me problems yet. I have put off dental work for so long now I’m hysterical thinking of...
  10. S

Terrified of upcoming filling

First time here, hopefully this will help! I have my first ever filling coming up and I’m freaking out. For the procedure itself, but also the numbing. Is it possible to have a filling done without it? It’s a shallow cavity still just in the enamel. I’m not afraid of the needle - no issues with...
  11. H

Flying?

I've been dealing with extreme fear of dentists and dental procedures for about 2 decades. Have had a lot of care in the last 11 months; most notably, I'm 1 implant down and now dealing with the tooth that's plagued me for many years, #3, second molar on upper right (having been "saved" in...
  12. D

I have Anxiety and my NHS dentist has removed me from list - incomplete partial denture treatment

Hey, I have anxiety from a past experience at 19 with the dentist which since has left me with very little ability to go without knowing who and what I am going for and after finding the most wonderful dentist in the last three years who has been so helpful and understanding with my history of...
  13. F

Embarrassed after 14 years without care

I have been in a world of a mess with my teeth, keeping it a secret from everyone that I haven't visited the dentist in 14 years. Some kind of kick-in-the-a$$ intervention from the universe stepped in last weekend, and now I have my first appointment tomorrow. Gradually over the last several...
  14. R

So depressed about teeth

After going to get a filling fixed at the start of 2023, I've developed great anxiety about my teeth. Since that appointment, I've already been back to the dentist three times. I suffered for years with depression and mental illness, and after I dropped out of school I completely lost my...
  15. A

Alternative to root canal - bone infection

I will post my past experience on a different thread but to make a long story short: I have a very small infection in one of my front teeth, they say it's very close to the root, and that it is in the bone surrounding the tooth. Two dentists didn't want to do anything about it because they...
  16. M

How long does a deep cavity filling take ?

Excluding the wait for numbing , how long does the process take ? I’m terrified I have to sit there for too long and have a panic attack ):
  17. prettybees

help?

i’m sure i’ve read every possible bit of advice i could find already on this but no harm in more. does anyone have any tips for making your first appointment? tips about the phone call itself or how to gather the courage to do it? it would be very much appreciated!
  18. M

I can do this

Ok so onto step 2 or can I call it step 3 in my journey. Appointment for dental fillings (dentist assured me they are very small) cavities. Naturally now that I know there are cavities I've suddenly been having massive pain everywhere which I know makes no sense it's not like they hadn't been...
  19. M

Extraction anxiety

Hi all, I have really bad procedure anxiety. I finally found a dentist from searching through offices near me and reading through their reviews and etc. I went in for my first exam in 16 years. I felt so horrible but she and her assistant never once made me feel bad and said it wasn't as bad as...
  20. T

Bad habits + 8 years without a dentist = extractions, root canals, gum disease, and more!

I've been using my Support thread as a journal, oops. So I'll start one here instead. I'm 32, and I haven't been to the dentist many times in my life. My parents took us maybe once a year when I was a kid. I always had cavities, rude dentists, and a mouth that was impossible to numb, leaving me...
Back