• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

root canal

1. G

Root canal gone wrong?

Hi! I had a long-planned root canal on Wednesday. My dentist seems to have a longer waiting list than ever these days and I was really glad when I finally sat in his chair. Sweating with nerves, but hoping to get it over as soon as possible! As this tooth had had the inner wall break off a few...
  2. G

Not sure what to expect at my crown appointment?

Hello! I'm feeling really anxious because I'm not sure what to expect tomorrow. So about a year ago I had a root canal. Afterwards, the dentist put a filling of some sort to protect it before I get a crown. To make a long story short, the dentist had no availability for months and in that time...
  3. M

Help - I drilled my own tooth

Hello - I need help. In desperation and paranoia from my dental phobia I have done the unthinkable and gotten a dental drill and bur and drilled into my own molar that was previously abscessed in an attempt to “allow it to drain” to put off going to see a dentist. I understand this was not smart...
  4. S

Fear of not being able to swallow, need advice!

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and need advice ASAP! I am very prone to cavities and have had a lot of work done on my teeth (I'm only 25). I've never liked the dentist, but it's only been the past year that my dental anxiety suddenly became really bad out of nowhere. In January I went in...
  5. C

Anxiety about tooth ache

Hi Everyone Over a year ago some of my molar started to hurt. Just thinking it was a cavity i went to my dentist (it had been a while cause of covid) and he said my tooth was dead and it needed a root canal! I freaked out but calmed myself down. When i went to get the procedure after i was...
  6. A

Alternative to root canal - bone infection

I will post my past experience on a different thread but to make a long story short: I have a very small infection in one of my front teeth, they say it's very close to the root, and that it is in the bone surrounding the tooth. Two dentists didn't want to do anything about it because they...
  7. S

Use of Xanax for Dental Work

Hi i used to suffer with bad anxiety generally, but thankfully am so much better - EXCEPT with dental work, which never fails to bring all the old panic feelings flooding back! I have a tooth infection, but cannot see a Dentist for another few weeks. My Dr gave me antibiotics and the infection...
  8. S

In Despair!

Hi, Have not posted for a long time, but now am at the end of my tether. I am from the U.K. but now live in France. I am 70, and have lost quite a few teeth, mainly because I had some taken out when I was young due to overcrowding, plus extraction was normal in the past! However I have...
  9. M

I can do this

Ok so onto step 2 or can I call it step 3 in my journey. Appointment for dental fillings (dentist assured me they are very small) cavities. Naturally now that I know there are cavities I've suddenly been having massive pain everywhere which I know makes no sense it's not like they hadn't been...
  10. M

Extraction anxiety

Hi all, I have really bad procedure anxiety. I finally found a dentist from searching through offices near me and reading through their reviews and etc. I went in for my first exam in 16 years. I felt so horrible but she and her assistant never once made me feel bad and said it wasn't as bad as...
  11. N

Fear over Post Root Canal Pain

I used to be so terrified of the dentist that I couldn’t even attend a check-up, but have been mostly fine with minor things recently. However, exactly a week ago, I had to go for a root canal on my left upper front tooth (first part, there’s some sort of medicine and a temporary filling right...
  12. S

Root canal?

Last year I had a deep filling in my front tooth. So today I went in for an emergency dentist appointment because I have a bad toothache and my face is swelling up a little. Took some ibuprofen which helped with pain and swelling. Emergency dentist (not my usual dentist) said he wasn't sure...
  13. T

Bad habits + 8 years without a dentist = extractions, root canals, gum disease, and more!

I've been using my Support thread as a journal, oops. So I'll start one here instead. I'm 32, and I haven't been to the dentist many times in my life. My parents took us maybe once a year when I was a kid. I always had cavities, rude dentists, and a mouth that was impossible to numb, leaving me...
  14. W

1st root canal anxiety & ruptured abscess

Hello all, So for the past 3 days I’ve been experiencing some of the worst teeth pain in my life. Yesterday it got all together too much and I went for the emergency visit to my preferred dental clinic. The doctor that previously helped me somehow overcome my anxiety with her gentle approach is...
  15. conqueringfears

Root canal retreat in a few hours. Alone and scared.

Hey everyone. I’m sure you’ve seen my threads here. I had a root canal done last month which I was sickly scared over. With much bravery and tears in my eyes, I did it. It’s 10:40PM. I have my root canal retreatment on another tooth at 8AM. It’s just about here already. Last time I had more...
  16. C

Possible infection

Long story short, I had a root canal on an upper molar about 6 years ago and despite the roots being a nightmare, it seemed effective. About 3 months ago I started getting pain when chewing, it has gradually gotten worse since then. For the past week I've had an awful taste in my mouth that is...
  17. conqueringfears

Checking off my fears.

Oh hello my dear support community. I have to start this off by saying how much I appreciate the cheering on and advice that has been given to me. I have been in the dental chair two times in the last month for exams and treatment plans. These two times have been the first time I have been in...
  18. conqueringfears

How to stay calm in the dental chair

I have less than 48 hours until my root canal and I am a walking stress ball. I can barely eat or drink. My head hurts a lot and I fillllled to the max with panic. I keep telling myself, I have been here 3 times before. I know what it's like. I have survived it and I will again but my mind is...
  19. conqueringfears

Dental Dam & Anxiety Meds (Root Canal)

The big week is finally here. Although I have had 3 root canals in the last 7 years I have developed terrible dental anxiety. I am getting RCT on #31 on Thursday and I am so worried that I won't be able to breathe or swallow because my mouth will be open and the dental dam will be in. I always...
  20. conqueringfears

Crippling anxiety ahead of root canal

Hi everyone. I have one week left until my first root canal treatment. Waking up everyday in an utter panic. I have had 3 root canals done, last being about 7 years ago, but my goodness.... my mind is treating me like this is a danger. That's due to an extreme phobia of numbing (the injections...
Back