• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

support

1. G

New to the site - looking for support to take the next step.

Hi I’m Helen. I’m 29 years old and haven’t been to a regular dentist in about 12 years – not since I turned 18 and couldn’t be forced to go. Apologies in advance for the massive wall of text, but I feel a backstory might help enlighten where my concerns lie. So here’s my story. For up to when I...
  2. prettybees

help?

i’m sure i’ve read every possible bit of advice i could find already on this but no harm in more. does anyone have any tips for making your first appointment? tips about the phone call itself or how to gather the courage to do it? it would be very much appreciated!
  3. C

I did something a bit dumb…

Hi everyone, I’ve made my Easter trip a living hell. I’ve currently been suffering with dental issues and I’m still afraid to confront them and seek out help. I have been using antiseptic mouthwash and clove oil + oregano oil for some sort of relief. I had a road trip planned to my mother’s...
  4. A

Extreme Fear

Hi, I’m new here I finally went to the dentist today after a few years of avoidance, and the experience was ok (not the best, not the worst) but I’ve got an appointment with the hygienist tomorrow morning. I was hoping for some tips on how to cope, what to expect? my background: as a child, I...
  5. Lunatic

Crying while typing

I’ll start by saying my phobia/ptsd came from childhood when I was strapped to a dental chair and was forced to go through multiple painful procedures as a young kid. After my mom stopped going with me I neglected that completely(6 years) . Fast forward to the month before Covid and lockdowns...
  6. A

Obsessed and constant worrying about teeth

Hey guys I really just need to vent... I had tooth extraction about a month ago and it's just sparked off so many other issues. I've changed to a private dentists who are great but I'm really obsessing over things that are wrong. I have a wisdom tooth that was growing into the molar next to it...
  7. S

Traumatized Girlfriend

I have joined this forum in a desperate attempt for help. To start, my girlfriend is autistic. She always does awful with anything medical and I normally have to accompany her through anything such as check-ups, blood draws, etc. so I can make sure she stays calm and doesn’t have a meltdown. She...
  8. G

Autistic Girlfriend Terrified of the Dentist

Hello. I (25 F) had been struggling to get my autistic girlfriend (26 F) to see the dentist about a toothache occurring in the back of her mouth. Being autistic and having dental phobia opens up entirely new doors of fear for her; sensory issues, fear of going non-verbal during treatment and not...
  9. K

Really want to control my anxiety & face fears!

This forum has been a godsend for support - it's so good to know you are not alone and be able to talk with people who understand your anxiety. I have found myself stuck in a bit of a rut, my parents took me to the dentist regularly up until my teenage years and for as long as I can remember...
  10. T

Please help me take the first step

Hi, So I haven’t been to the dentist in quite some time, about 16 years! I feel really embarrassed admitting that but I’ve always struggled at the dentist. I can’t open my mouth very wide and I find it hard to keep my mouth open without reaching. I went to the dentist for regular check-ups...
  11. N

Extraction of 3 teeth tomorrow so scared please help me not back out

Hi, For 12 years now I have needed teeth removing I was only 11 the first time I went to hospital to have a tooth removed and completely freaked out and didn't get it done, this happened several times and on that time 2 more teeth went bad and more needed removing so I got myself into even more...
  12. S

Getting my wisdom teeth removed on July 23rd. I'm super nervous

Everyone I have talked to say its the worst pain ever. I have two impacted wisdom teeth at the bottom and the tops wisdom teeth are fully erupted. I will also be going under general anesthesia too. I'm not going to lie I'm super scared about the pain afterwards. Everyone tells me its...
  13. M

I have no idea what to do. Please help!!

I should start by saying that prior to Tuesday, the 6th, I hadn't been to the dentist in a few years (awful I know). I was without dental insurance and living on my own and not having my mom drag me to appointments gave me the excuse to slack off. It is also important to note that I am on...
  14. Z

Gum boil or more sinister? Either way I'm terrified!!

Four days ago, i woke up and did my morning dental routine and discovered a squishy lump on my top right gum. It wasn't painful and the tooth in which it sits above isn't painful either. So, given that i suffer with quite bad anxiety disorder as well as really bad dental phobia, i thought i...
  15. A

So glad I found this site!!!!!!!!!! :):)

Hello everyone!! My name is Leslie, I m 29 yrs old, originally from Latin America but I live in the US :) For some comments I saw I m not sure if this forum is based in the US or the UK.. ( some terms and expressions I read sounded British but I might be wrong..lol sorry if that s the case...
  16. J

Long but WELL WORTH READ for the most terrified of people who are scarred for life I PROMISE

Part 1 and Part 2 of this story have been merged into one thread to make it easier to follow - read the full story below! - The Dental Fear Central Team
Back