• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

pain

1. M

Pain in tooth next to extraction

I had my first molar extracted exactly 10 days ago. This tooth and the tooth behind it (second molar) were root canalled. Since the extraction the second molar has been in a lot of pain! Is this just due to trauma in the area? It was a very difficult extraction and ended up needing to be...
  2. M

Intense gum pain - please help

Hi, just looking for some help, I’m so anxious about this and no one can seem to help, just want the pain to end :( My gum has been extremely painful on/off for the past 6/7 weeks. It started when I thought my crown was loose (it wasn’t) but I stupidly started wiggling it and obviously...
  3. A

Ashamed of teeth

Hi there everyone, I am looking for some similar experiences and success stories. I am 37 years old and scared of the dentist, I have not visited for around 12 years and that was only an emergency appointment for toothache, I didn’t follow up after. 3 pregnancies have already taken their toll...
  4. T

Haven't been to a dentist in 10 years. Have receding gums and tooth pain and terrified to go.

Ahoy, just want to start by thanking this forum for existing, as well as the wonderful dentists here that take time out of their day to help people. I'm 32 and haven't been to a dentist for around 10 years due to financial problems, trigeminal neuralgia and mental health issues. For over a...
  5. A

An Odd Ache That’s Not Going Away; Unsure of What to Do?

Well me again. This time with a different issue that I’m not even sure how to describe. I’m feeling myself starting to spiral and I’d really rather not, so I’m hoping perhaps to know whether or not I should be contacting my dentist again, or even my GP. I went to the dentist last week...
  6. D

6 weeks after extraction

I’m so glad I found this forum as I like many of you struggle with dental fears. Here’s my story that I need advice from….. 6 weeks ago I had a tooth extracted which was a difficult extraction and a few days after I developed dry socket and an infection. The whole is still not completely closed...
  7. N

Fear over Post Root Canal Pain

I used to be so terrified of the dentist that I couldn’t even attend a check-up, but have been mostly fine with minor things recently. However, exactly a week ago, I had to go for a root canal on my left upper front tooth (first part, there’s some sort of medicine and a temporary filling right...
  8. C

Apicoectomy concerns

Hello, I'm having an apicoectomy done on #9 and #10, two crowns with no nerves in them. Since an accident at 11, I've had root canals, crowns, and re-treatment of the root canals. Because of all that, usually I'm not scared to go to the dentist generally because it can't be worse than four root...
  9. C

Eight Months of Tooth Pain... Mystery

I have a massive fear of the dentist every year I need so much work its like my issues go unhidden and then all come out at once. I have tears in my eyes as I sit in the chair each time. I am very down depressed and have no idea where to turn to. Currently I am dealing with one tooth. This all...
  10. G

I tried to deal with my dental phobia but I feel like I’m failing.

For me trying to deal with the phobia began when my health anxiety surrounding a failed root canal I had became too great to ignore. I found a phobia friendly dentist and mustered up the courage to go. They told me the same thing I’d been told years earlier, I needed a repeat root canal...
  11. K

Complicated root canal, abscess and pain during treatment

Hello I have a horrible hear of dentists which has come from years of treatment and pain during procedures. I am currently undergoing root canal treatment on two bottom front teeth which were hit in an accident years ago. The worst one showed an infection on xray and so I was told needed a...
  12. P

Please help, after deep filling for months, bruised?

Hi! I am new here and already feel like I belong here :rolleyes: I have a tremendous fear of anything related to dentists. (on top of my health/dental anxiety, non-existent pain tolerance and regular depression?) I've had a filling which I was told was very deep and could be sensitive for a few...
  13. 16andbadteethandgums

Extreme pain when flossing one side of gum triangle, like if I'm doing it with barbed wire

I have no idea as to how this could happen, but for the past 4 days whenever floss touches this particular area it stings very powerfully. One of the worst pains I've ever felt. I don't know how this could be since there's nothing stuck there and there's no apparent gingivitis...? And sometimes...
  14. J

Air emphysema.....?

Hi all, I’m new here and looking for some support/advice. I went to the dentist about a week ago with a cavity in my upper tooth right near where the wisdom tooth is. The dentist gave me a filling and right after finishing the procedure my cheek started tingling, prickling and then stabbing. I...
  15. T

Day 3 after Surgical Wisdom Tooth Extraction

Hello, So I had a surgical extraction of one of my bottom wisdom teeth on Monday. The gum was cut & bone was drilled, so I have quite a few stitches in my mouth. I'm feeling super lost and unsettled right now as on the day of recovery and the day after it really wasn't that bad and I was...
  16. R

I need support

Hello. I have terrible dental phobia. TERRIBLE. I haven’t been to a dentist in over 20 years and it shows. I’m so scared of what they will say. I’m scared of the criticism. The price as I am uninsured. How do I get over this? Even the thought of contacting a dentist office sends my heart racing...
  17. K

Finally booked a consultation for my wisdom teeth!

So like probably many people, I've been putting off dealing with my wisdom teeth. I'm now 31, and all four of my teeth are still fully impacted. I first became aware I might have issues about 3 years ago when my dentist did a panoramic x-ray and noticed a dark circle on the root of my bottom...
  18. H

My teeth are ruining my life.

I have seen alot worse on here but I have bad anxiety and my teeth are all I think about. I went in to the dentist a few months ago for tooth pain and got diagnosed with bruxism. I had scaling and planing done 2 weeks ago and I felt so much better and cleaner. I wear a night guard. However I...
  19. K

Bruxism

I recently went to the dentist who sent me to the endodontist for my right sided “teeth” pain. Endodontist said my xrays and scans looked good, my root canal that was done (to tooth 30) in July looked great, there wasn’t any infection, excellent bone health, blah blah. He did hot tests, tap...
  20. S

Pain during IV Sedation?

I'm having 2 root canals done tomorrow and this is my first time with IV Sedation (Medazolam). I've had general anesthesia for 6 root canals at once and obviously there was no pain during that. Is it common to use other pain killers during an IV sedation procedure besides novacaine?
Back