It is a good idea to check if your potential dentist is actually licensed to practice dentistry… Below you’ll find out how to do so in various countries (sorted alphabetically).


Australian Dental Association – Find a Dentist Use the “Branches” drop-down menu on the upper left. In order to practice dentistry in Australia, a dentist must be registered in the particular State in which they intend to practice. The Australian Dental Association provides contact information for State Dental Boards. No online search available.


Dental Regulatory Authorities in Canada Each province has a dental regulatory authority. Contact information for each of them can be found on the Canadian Dental Association’s website.


4 out of 5 dentists are members of the Irish Dental association, which also provides a search function. If a dentist isn’t a member, that doesn’t mean it’s a bad sign. Under the Dentists Act 1985, the Dental Council of Ireland is the independent authority charged with responsibility for the registration of dentists. It’s illegal to practice without being registered. Their website address is, and they are currently developing an online search for dentist registrations. The contact details are:

The Dental Council, 57 Merrion Square, Dublin 2. Ph.: (01) 6762069/6762226

New Zealand

Dental Council of New Zealand “The Council’s role is to protect the public by ensuring that practitioners in the dental professions are fit, safe and competent to practise.” You can search their register online. The Dental Council can also investigate complaints.


General Dental Council (GDC) The General Dental Council’s purpose is to protect the public by regulating dental professionals in the UK. It’s illegal to practice dentistry in the UK without being registered with the GDC. It’s easy to check if a dentist is registered on their website. Past editions of the GDC Gazette, which can be downloaded as PDF files from their website, give details of past actions against dentists which came before the GDC. You can also make justified complaints to the GDC (for example, gross misconduct or poor dental treatment).


Links to State Dental Boards In the U.S., you can check a dentist’s licensure through your state dental board’s website (most have an online search facility). Your relevant state dental board or local dental society can also provide information on how to initiate a peer review procedure in case you’d like to make a justified complaint (such as gross misconduct or poor dental treatment). You can also check with them for any actions taken against a dentist. Your local courthouse will have any suits that have been filed.