• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Weird question about Crest Pro Health rinse

N

notme

After going to different forums and reading so many dentists saying this was their #1 Choice for (alcohol-free rinse) I went out today and bought one. Since I hated the alcohol rinses, I rarely rinsed with moutwashes becaus I could not handle the burning.

I brushed my teeth,rinsed with water. Then I took about less than an ounce of the Crest Pro-Health rinse and swooshed it around in my mouth for about 25-30 seconds. Well when I spit it out it came out in blue chunks? Some was the rinse that I spit out but the rest looked like pieces of blue "cottage cheese" ? It was NOT food. I had to rinse my mouth out with water afterward because I had some of these blue chunks stuck on my teeth. ..yuck
I floss daily and brush 2-3 times a day.

I checked the expiration date and that was not the problem.

Anyone have this happen to them? What could that be?

same here. The blue chunks. At least it doesn't burn. I even tried to shake the
bottle several times.

Elaine.

I read quite a few dentistry forums on a regular basis and I've never noticed that dentists recommend Crest-Pro? Apparently, the active ingredient in the Crest Pro-Health Rinse formula is 0.07% Cetylpyridinium Chloride - will have to do a PubMed search on it...

I've noticed the same thing, since my dentist recommended Crest pro-health when I don't need the Chlorhexadine. I had asked my Dentist what it was supposed to be for, and the only answer I got was that it was good because it didn't have alchohol. I didn't bother to bring up that my ACT doesn't have alchohol either and since I know what the flouride's for I'd like to know why this pro-health is supposed to be better for me. By the way, since several Dentists seem to be recommending this all of a sudden, I wonder what kind of kick-back they are getting. :)

Actually, the first few time I used it I got blue chunks every time. After that, I normally don't get them, but once in a while I still do. I'm assuming it's reacting to something, but I did an internet search to see what it might be reacting to, but never found anything.

i have been using the wintergreen one and i have not had this problem, so far. Glad I didn't get the mint one. I like the wintergreen because it's not as strong.

I use this rinse quite often, because I prefer the taste (and I had a TON of coupons for it, which is always an incentive because my grocery doubles those coupons, yaaaay!) :jump:

I've *never* noticed chunks or clumps. But what I do notice are strange little dark blue flakes -- perhaps a lesser phenomenon of what you're talking about? Maybe this stuff chemically bonds with a certain enzyme in saliva, or something, and makes the strange substance. I thought it was plaque coming off the teeth, but perhaps it's actually a byproduct of some chemical reaction...?

If this is the case, it would make sense, since the chemical and bacterial contents of saliva and plaque is a little different from person to person. But I'm not an expert, soo...I don't know!

Perhaps it's a question you could pose to the company itself? Companies like Crest keep a toll-free hotline for questions: 1-800-285-9139

If you're not in the U.S. or Canada, try asking them through their feedback website.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Crest's own website, "The active ingredient in Crest Pro-Health, CPC, as well as the blue color can bind to bacteria and specks in your mouth, making them more visible when you spit into the sink. This is a sign that the product is working and is not harmful. Some consumers find that running the sink before expectorating the rinse helps prevent the blue debris from sticking."

I had a look at PubMed abstracts and have a feeling that, while CPC may produce "statistically significant" results when it comes to things like plaque scores, the results are not actually all that significant (for example, one study showed I think a 15% reduction in plaque, which was *statistically* significant, but realistically speaking, a 15% reduction may not mean very much). Another study found that CPC in spray form did not significantly differ from saltwater spray, but chlorhexidine gluconate spray did. So for those on a budget, maybe it would be cheaper to rinse with salt water ;) (if you don't mind the taste, that is...).

Back