• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Mouth guard with missing front teeth

M

martin f

Hi guys, im after a bit of advice about choosing a mouth guard for karate.

I unfortunatly lost both my front teeth and currently use a boil and bite guard from a sports shop. However as im progressing up the ranks at karate im finding that im getting hit harder and more often so i think its time to invest in a better mouth guard. One of my friends suggested i get a professional one done from an imprint of my mouth, but they are really solid and i worry that if i have a solid bit of mouth guard where my front teeth should be and i take a punch/kick from the side that it could damage my other teeth.

Would this be the case?
I emailed the company and they said to ask my dentist but he didnt really offer me any advice.

Or does anyone know of any other options that might be better? :)

The sports mouth guards tend to cover the teeth and a portion of the gums so things are generally cushioned during an injury. The material is still somewhat flexible so that helps absorb the forces. I would say that it's better to have a well fitting one than a boil and bite one or nothing at all.

Back