• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentures and I am 27

S

Sylvia_Vallo

I am scared to death of getting Dentures. I have to walk around with no teeth for a month to 2 months. I am not sure If I am going to be able to handle it. Not to mention having to have a needle stuck in my mouth. I am scared I am going to freak out on the dentist. My husband is supportive but he is not able to come with me the day I get my teeth removed, I have no one else. I guess I am just looking for some support

I haven't got false teeth so I cannot tell you how they will feel or how having all your teeth out will feel. But I have read your thread and heard what you are saying, I do think that you need someone to be with you. Although you will not be sedated I think you may feel a little bit wobbly after the procedure. I had one tooth out and felt not quite with it, not because anything hurt, or that anything bad happened, it was very easy for me and over with quickly.

I think because I was so scared and paniced before part of how I felt was my body just relaxing after all the build up. I was okay, and you will be too but if you could find someone to go with you it might be best.

If not sit in the dentist until you feel able to get yourself home. I wish you Good luck :clover::clover::clover:

Let us know how you get on when you feel up to it.

Will you drive yourself or do you have to use public transport?

Why are you waiting for 1 or 2 months for the teeth?

I have someone to drive me but they are leaving and then coming back. I have to wait 1-2 months to heal. If they put them in right away they would not fit since I will be swollen.

I haven't got false teeth so I cannot tell you how they will feel or how having all your teeth out will feel. But I have read your thread and heard what you are saying, I do think that you need someone to be with you. Although you will not be sedated I think you may feel a little bit wobbly after the procedure. I had one tooth out and felt not quite with it, not because anything hurt, or that anything bad happened, it was very easy for me and over with quickly.

I think because I was so scared and paniced before part of how I felt was my body just relaxing after all the build up. I was okay, and you will be too but if you could find someone to go with you it might be best.

If not sit in the dentist until you feel able to get yourself home. I wish you Good luck :clover::clover::clover:

Let us know how you get on when you feel up to it.

Will you drive yourself or do you have to use public transport?

Why are you waiting for 1 or 2 months for the teeth?

Reading on here it seems that some people get false teeth straight away and others wait as you are going to do. I think when they are put in straight away that you have to keep going back weekly in a lot of cases to have the teeth altered because as your gums heal and shrink they need altering.

You could ring your dentist and ask why you cannot have immediate's these are not the final set you get to keep but they help shape the gums I think. When you get the ones that you are going to use for good these are much better and look real.

Are you having all your teeth out or will you be left with some of your own teeth?

On the subject of the needle, ask the dentist to use a gel called topical, they all have it. If they rub this on your gums for a few minutes before injecting it numbs your gums, not your teeth. Then if they inject you really slowly you won't feel the injection. At the most a pinch for a second, it will feel more like pressure if anything. Ask the dentist to count to 10 really slowly when he is injecting you then you know when it will be done.

I am having all on top removed and some on the bottom. I know that my husband doesnt care he wants to me be healthy I am just worried what I am going to look like to other people.

Reading on here it seems that some people get false teeth straight away and others wait as you are going to do. I think when they are put in straight away that you have to keep going back weekly in a lot of cases to have the teeth altered because as your gums heal and shrink they need altering.

You could ring your dentist and ask why you cannot have immediate's these are not the final set you get to keep but they help shape the gums I think. When you get the ones that you are going to use for good these are much better and look real.

Are you having all your teeth out or will you be left with some of your own teeth?

On the subject of the needle, ask the dentist to use a gel called topical, they all have it. If they rub this on your gums for a few minutes before injecting it numbs your gums, not your teeth. Then if they inject you really slowly you won't feel the injection. At the most a pinch for a second, it will feel more like pressure if anything. Ask the dentist to count to 10 really slowly when he is injecting you then you know when it will be done.

Hello sweetie

I am sorry I haven't been on much tonight, I will get back to you, but want you to know that I have recently had complete dentures, and am more than happy to answer any questions you have about any of this. When are you due to have all of this done?

Is this absolutely necessary for you at your young age??

Kim

It is absolutely Necessary, I went through a Bad Marriage alot of the damage is cuz of my Ex Husband. Thankfully I found a good one. I am the starting process of having it done. I go in December so they can do a few fillings on the bottom teeth they are keeping. I am more scared about it, My dentist answered most of my questions. I wanted to hear other people's experiences as well If they are happy they got them done ect.

Hello sweetie

I am sorry I haven't been on much tonight, I will get back to you, but want you to know that I have recently had complete dentures, and am more than happy to answer any questions you have about any of this. When are you due to have all of this done?

Is this absolutely necessary for you at your young age??

Kim

From what I have read people are really pleased with their new teeth when they get them. Kim is the best person to answer you on this as she has just done 2 or 3 months without any teeth waiting for her gums to settle down.

She will be back, I wish you GOOD LUCK :clover::clover::clover:

Thanks Carole, What you and Kim have said has calmed my fear just a little at least enough to get me through my next appt.

From what I have read people are really pleased with their new teeth when they get them. Kim is the best person to answer you on this as she has just done 2 or 3 months without any teeth waiting for her gums to settle down.

She will be back, I wish you GOOD LUCK :clover::clover::clover:

Hi again Sylvia

I had my remaining teeth removed in May, and personally decided to wait for my gums to shrink, because I wanted to give my mouth the best chance with my dentures. All in all, I was without teeth for 4 months. I won't say it is easy, because it is not. I am older than you by a good few years, but it was never the less a daunting thing to go through.

However, I now have my new denture, and there have had to be some adjustments made, but that is only to be expected with any denture, whether you wait or not, so don't worry if that is the case. I had a few sore spots initially, but with the adjustments, I am now 'flying' with them.

I am still getting used to how I look with them because I have had quite a time without teeth, so my face is more full than it has been over the last few months, but again, that is to be expected, and I will get used to it with time. I am enjoying being able to bite into things without the worry of a tooth breaking off, and for the first time in years yesterday, I had some apple and was elated to be able to chew it.

It is true what people have said to me also, in that you will be more conscious of how you look and feel more than others. There are a couple of people who were not told what I had done, and who I have seen, and I think the only difference that they may find, is that my speech is different, and sometimes the odd 'whistle' slips out. My 's' sounds are different ;)

What I did also, was take photos prior to my extractions, and when I am feeling a bit 'ooooeeerrrrr missus' I take out my camera and look back at the horrible teeth that I did have, and the gaps left by the fact that I hadn't had back teeth since my teens.

People are right in the sense that there is nothing like your own teeth, but when that isn't possible, we have to adjust and accept what we are given to work with. I have it in my mindset that I can't go backwards, and so the only way for me is forwards.

I have been blessed with finding wonderful supportive people on here, who have got me through some rubbish times, but also with an exceptional dentist and nurse, who have created my new smile for me, and have helped me though all of this, and I am exceptional grateful for that.

If you have any other questions or worries, I am more than happy to try to help wherever I can, either through this forum or by PM.

You are not alone on this one hunni.:XXLhug::XXLhug:

Take care.

Kim

Im still a little scared about being with out teeth, I was wondering are putting them in bad? I have a bad gag reflex and wondering if that is going to make it harder for me to put them in? Also After I get them are there things I am not allowed to eat? I am looking forward to eating Ice Cream again, My teeth hate cold things so I have not been able to eat it with out being in pain. if I have any other questions I will let you know. Thanks SO much.

Hi again Sylvia

I had my remaining teeth removed in May, and personally decided to wait for my gums to shrink, because I wanted to give my mouth the best chance with my dentures. All in all, I was without teeth for 4 months. I won't say it is easy, because it is not. I am older than you by a good few years, but it was never the less a daunting thing to go through.

However, I now have my new denture, and there have had to be some adjustments made, but that is only to be expected with any denture, whether you wait or not, so don't worry if that is the case. I had a few sore spots initially, but with the adjustments, I am now 'flying' with them.

I am still getting used to how I look with them because I have had quite a time without teeth, so my face is more full than it has been over the last few months, but again, that is to be expected, and I will get used to it with time. I am enjoying being able to bite into things without the worry of a tooth breaking off, and for the first time in years yesterday, I had some apple and was elated to be able to chew it.

It is true what people have said to me also, in that you will be more conscious of how you look and feel more than others. There are a couple of people who were not told what I had done, and who I have seen, and I think the only difference that they may find, is that my speech is different, and sometimes the odd 'whistle' slips out. My 's' sounds are different ;)

What I did also, was take photos prior to my extractions, and when I am feeling a bit 'ooooeeerrrrr missus' I take out my camera and look back at the horrible teeth that I did have, and the gaps left by the fact that I hadn't had back teeth since my teens.

People are right in the sense that there is nothing like your own teeth, but when that isn't possible, we have to adjust and accept what we are given to work with. I have it in my mindset that I can't go backwards, and so the only way for me is forwards.

I have been blessed with finding wonderful supportive people on here, who have got me through some rubbish times, but also with an exceptional dentist and nurse, who have created my new smile for me, and have helped me though all of this, and I am exceptional grateful for that.

If you have any other questions or worries, I am more than happy to try to help wherever I can, either through this forum or by PM.

You are not alone on this one hunni.:XXLhug::XXLhug:

Take care.

Kim

Of course you are going to be worried, you would not be human if you didn't, and I don't care if it was the biggest strongest person in the world, for anyone to say it wouldn't worry them to not have teeth would be telling porky pies. So, don't beat yourself up by it. You will have good and bad days in the run up to your procedure, just try and take each day as it comes.

Now, when I first got my denture, I used to gag all over the place when I first put it in, but was aware that although the plate can be trimmed back, the less of the plate there is, the less of suction you get, so I thought the best way for me to deal with that was to see how things went, and right enough, now I don't gag at all when either putting them in or taking them out :) And the suction on them is really good, so I am glad I persevered on that one, and I don't gag with the bottom denture either - double whammy ;)

I know people who eat absolutely everything, nuts, steak, you name it they eat it. I am still very much in the trial and error stage, so I will try things, but if I don't feel comfortable, then I stop. I have eaten onions, and cheese, and can bite into a burger, tho' the burgers are Mackie D one's and they aren't the 'proper' ones that actually need a bit of effort to eat, I have yet to try those yet, but will do. I also ate some apple the other day, and felt pretty good about that, as I haven't been able to for years. Ice cream will be a doddle :giggle:

My next try out that I want is thicker chunks of cucumber and radishes that I love. My daughter gave me this nut thing coated in some spicy coating the other week, but I no sooner put it in my mouth when I felt I had a boulder in my mouth, so it came straight out again ;)

You will find your own way, because no two people are the same, buy you will get there, honestly.

Kim x

Glad to know, Another Question, How do you clean them. I am sure my doctor will go over it but If I can start to plan ahead that would make it better. lol

Of course you are going to be worried, you would not be human if you didn't, and I don't care if it was the biggest strongest person in the world, for anyone to say it wouldn't worry them to not have teeth would be telling porky pies. So, don't beat yourself up by it. You will have good and bad days in the run up to your procedure, just try and take each day as it comes.

Now, when I first got my denture, I used to gag all over the place when I first put it in, but was aware that although the plate can be trimmed back, the less of the plate there is, the less of suction you get, so I thought the best way for me to deal with that was to see how things went, and right enough, now I don't gag at all when either putting them in or taking them out :) And the suction on them is really good, so I am glad I persevered on that one, and I don't gag with the bottom denture either - double whammy ;)

I know people who eat absolutely everything, nuts, steak, you name it they eat it. I am still very much in the trial and error stage, so I will try things, but if I don't feel comfortable, then I stop. I have eaten onions, and cheese, and can bite into a burger, tho' the burgers are Mackie D one's and they aren't the 'proper' ones that actually need a bit of effort to eat, I have yet to try those yet, but will do. I also ate some apple the other day, and felt pretty good about that, as I haven't been able to for years. Ice cream will be a doddle :giggle:

My next try out that I want is thicker chunks of cucumber and radishes that I love. My daughter gave me this nut thing coated in some spicy coating the other week, but I no sooner put it in my mouth when I felt I had a boulder in my mouth, so it came straight out again ;)

You will find your own way, because no two people are the same, buy you will get there, honestly.

Kim x

Back