• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Took the first step- now what?

M

Myztri

Most of the stories of wisdom teeth removal involve people with a general dental fear. I however, do not have a MAJOR fear of dentists (though that fear IS there), or the pain after or any of that. What I DO have however, is trypaniphobia- a phobia of needles. More importantly, I have 2 of the rarest kinds of phobia, which put me in a state of sheer terror, feeling like I am fighting for my life any time one comes in the room, directed at me. This is not a, "Look away, it will only take a second" phobia. This is a "blood pressure raising, heart pounding, in fear for my life, combatively clawing my way out of the room if I don't have a seizure first", phobia.
Despite my initial fears and reservations, I finally made a dentist appointment to have some things fixed, as I have a badly rotted wisdom tooth hurting me. I know I need all 4 out (2 rotted away, one impacted and one nice and pretty but coming out anyway), and the the remaining root of an upper molar that rotted away and broke removed.
This does not bother me.
I know I need to be under sedation to do so.
This does not bother me.
The fact that it is by IV, however, does. The dentist I saw today, the whole office really, was fantastic, and were great about making me feel at ease, and comfortable, and we got my exam and xrays done easily.
My dentist has referred me to an oral surgeon that he says will treat me as well as he does, and he believes that they can give me a oral sedative that will make me forget all about that pesky IV, however, I have my doubts. After taking 3 hours to get the IV for the cesarean birth of my twins, they suggested I receive a spinal block. The anesthesiologist pushed as much Versed as she could, but my adrenaline was so high, it did absolutely nothing for me, and I had to be put under general.
I suspect that whatever oral sedative they give me, be it Valium or Halcion, will not work.
Then what? What do I do if I cannot be sedated enough to get the IV in, to sedate me enough to do the work? I do not want it to be what it always has to be- 3 people holding me down (with my permission, as it won't get done any other way) just to get the IV in. I have tried therapy of many kinds and it just does not go away.

My dentist also is sending me to a different doctor, also very nice he says, who can put me under IV sedation (after the extractions are healed) and do all of the rest of the work I need done at once, as they know the odds of me making repeat appointments is slim. I like this idea, but once again, IV time. I need a root canal, and many many fillings for the many years of neglect and avoidance.

I hate feeling this way, but my doctor said he is glad that it is not a fear of dentists or the pain, just the needles and that he thinks we can handle it. I think he underestimates the phobia, even though i explained it.

SIGH. I did great going to the initial appointment, and I think I can get myself through the surgical consult, but I am terrified about that actual surgery appointment- JUST because of the IV. I hate that this holds me back so much.

Hi Myztri,

Congrats on taking that first step. I'm glad I decided to check on here tonight because some of your comments sounded like me. I have always been afraid of needles. I had a bad wisdom tooth experience because of that and not knowing what options were out there. One "good" thing about that experience and many years later now, my TMJ issues, I have learned there are topical both in spray (I use one for my TMJ--jaw joint issues) and cream form anesthetics. It's unfortunate most doctors don't care to spend the money to have them on hand. Most dentists, however, do use Ethyl Chloride (Google Gebauer Company) in doing "cold" tests on teeth. I use a version of this spray daily. Just an FYI that I hope helps.

Good luck and have a good weekend. :)

One step forward, two steps back.
The oral surgeon sent me a message in reply to my lengthy e-mail about my phobia, and said that they could not, and indeed would not give me an oral sedative ahead of the IV, to make it easier and that they would be glad to discuss the reasoning during my pre-op appointment.
I informed them that there would be no IV without it, as it would cause trauma to everyone involved, and that I appreciate their response, but that there would be no pre-op appointment.
Then I emailed the first Dr and let him know what they said.

Meanwhile, the anxiety is back, we have gone back several steps, and I am still in pain.

Today I am more discouraged than ever. I got an email back from the first dentist offering to set me an appointment for today (but I got the message too late) and she said that the IV sedation would be more than enough and that I was asking too much.

I was floored. Do these people not listen or do they not retain any information?
How about a chart?!

I kindly reminded her that I am not as afraid of everything else as I am OF NEEDLES so YES the IV will sedate me plenty but WHAT do we do to GET THE IV IN ME!?

I feel really bad that you received an email like that. That would really set me back, but I hope you do not let it stand in your way.

I have never had IV sedation before, but I know I've read many stories wherein people were prescribed an oral sedative just to help them get to the appointment. Also, many of these people had the crook of their elbox, or wherever the IV needle goes, numbed with a cream before the doctor put the IV needle in.

I do not recall any of those people being told that the IV alone is enough.

Depending on your dentist's response to your reminder email regarding your fear of needles, I might recommend trying to find a different dentist that will be more willing to yield to your requests for comfort.

I don't have a specific fear of needles, tho' I have to say I am not a fan. However, I am really sorry that this dentist is not willing to give you oral sedation prior to your appointment. I had IV sedation a few months ago, and was given tablets to take both the night before the appointment and the morning of, and boy did I need them, as I was a wreck.

I'm with shamrockerin' I would find someone who is prepared not only to listen to you, but to help you get through this with the least amount of worry and fear as possible. For someone who is able to offer IV sedation to be unwilling to offer the 'added extras' that can go a long way to making this as easy as possible, is in my opinion not being very helpful.

I sincerely hope that you get what you need to help you through this.

Take care.

Kim

Thus far, I have no gotten another reply from them. I am afraid I will not. The first dentist, I do not hold this against him, as he felt sure that they would give me something beforehand, to get me in there and get the IV in, though I cannot be suspicious of the bait-n-switch.

I have worked in the healthcare field with women and pregnancy and they often get what we call the bait-n-switch. The doctor will tell you whatever he needs to in order to get you in and to the end of the pregnancy and then does things their own way while they are most vulnerable.
That is what I feel has been done- "well lets get her this far and then she can't turn back!"

The one thing I am not- is intimidated by "authority". I know many people are, but I am not, and while this works to my advantage, it may make a lot of people mad in the process.

I heard back from the original dentist, who, thus far, is doing everything they can to help.
They told me they spoke to the second dentist I was referred to- the one who was to do the rest of my work after my wisdom teeth were out. Apparently because my wisdom teeth aren't impacted (except for one, but they consider it "shallow") this dentist can remove them, and he supposedly has the certifications to give me oral and IV sedation, so maybe this will be working out soon.
I have an e-mail in to them, and now I just wait.

Last edited:
I am glad to hear, or rather, read, that things are looking up for you.

When you posted about the 2nd dentist's email to you, I was actually mad for you! No wonder there are so many people who are afraid of dentistry; perhaps if more dentists were focused on their patients' comfort and pain/anxiety management, then people would not become phobic in the first place.:mad:

I hope this continues to go uphill for you, and keep us all posted.:)

I got a rather neutral email reply from dentist number 3- They would like to call me to discuss.
I did explain the specifics of my phobia a little more as it is harder to speak than to type.
This is the e-mail I received today:

"Good afternoon Ms.[Myztri],
my name is Dxxxxxx and I Manage the practice for Dr.[Dentist 3]. After reading your email Dr.[D3] has asked me to respond and ask for a contact number so either he or myself may introduce you to our practice and discuss and answer any questions you have concerning your dental needs. We also would like to inform you of services available we may provide to make your visit as comfortable as possible."

Very basic and did not directly mention or answer anything I asked.
So now we still wait.

It's great you are not giving up on finding a quality dentist. I admire that you are not put down by authority. A friendly "reminder" that the topicals I mentioned originally really do work and I would recommend asking what options can be offerred to you. It's an "easy" answer to an often life-long (certainly in my case) issue with needles. All good luck to you. :)

Unfortunately, topicals do not numb the mind. I have no issues with the sensations of pain from needles, just the mere fact that they are there is enough. While they are nice, topicals do nothing to help me.

Unfortunately, topicals do not numb the mind. I have no issues with the sensations of pain from needles, just the mere fact that they are there is enough. While they are nice, topicals do nothing to help me.
Hi, why don't you go to your regular MD and ask for a few doses, maybe 10, of an anti-anxiety med. Let the MD know what you are going to have done, and of your extreme phobia of needles. and tell him that you need something that WILL WORK... one milligram of clonazepam should work for you. Take the med and see how long it takes in order to work on you, before you actually do the procedure. Get a feel of the med. If it isn't enough, then take another half for a total of one and a half milligram of clonazepam. Make sure you are in the seat and ready for the procedure, so time the med right. You can let the dentist know that you have taken an anti-anxiety med in order to get through the phobia that you have of needles. Also, go to this dentist's office and get a really good feel of the whole procedure from start to finish, which may help alleviate your fear. Get to know these people. You cannot get a feel of the office by sending emais back and forth. They need to SEE YOU and vice versa. Also, you will need someone to help you drive home after the procedure, as the anti-anxiety med lasts for hours and you should not be driving under the influence of this med. Go home and lay down in bed.

Oh, I forgot to mention. Ensure that your oral surgeon is in contact with your MD and vice versa, so that no surprises happen during the day of your surgery. Not sure of the procedure of who prescribes the med, etc.

I have a phobia of being in enclosed spaces and once I had to go through an MRI machine and even though they gave me a very weak sedative, it had no effect on me; thereby, loss of time from work and more time to needed to schedule and open MRI, so ensure this med actually WORKS FOR YOU, and I think it will work and help you.

Last edited:
The first office was not willing to do it if I took any kind of oral sedative/anxiety med ahead of time. This next dentist seems more workable. I see no sense in even making an appointment if they cannot accommodate me, which is why the e-mails go back and forth.

Myztri,

I understand exactly how you feel. I find myself in the same spot. You tell the Dr. about your phobia and get a reply like " its over before you know it". Right - nobody seems to understand how bad it is.

Have started at the dentist after 30yrs away. Need lots of work but have no idea how to get to the needle part. Please keep me in the loop if anything you try works...

The first office was not willing to do it if I took any kind of oral sedative/anxiety med ahead of time. This next dentist seems more workable. I see no sense in even making an appointment if they cannot accommodate me, which is why the e-mails go back and forth.
Just trying to help you out here.
If your regular MD has you on an anti-anxiety med, then what?

Today I am more discouraged than ever. I got an email back from the first dentist offering to set me an appointment for today (but I got the message too late) and she said that the IV sedation would be more than enough and that I was asking too much.

I was floored. Do these people not listen or do they not retain any information?
How about a chart?!

I kindly reminded her that I am not as afraid of everything else as I am OF NEEDLES so YES the IV will sedate me plenty but WHAT do we do to GET THE IV IN ME!?

I see a way around this whole ordeal. See my previous post.
Don't ask; don't tell.

Don't ask; don't tell.

This would be quite dangerous, if this is supposed to mean not telling your dentist that you have taken the medication.

You definitely do need to let your dentist know if you're taking anti-anxiety meds beforehand, to avoid an overdose.

I'm not sure why they are so set against the idea though - most dentists who do IV sedation don't regard oral premedication as a problem. I hope that this new dentist you've been e-mailing will help you out :grouphug:

This would be quite dangerous, if this is supposed to mean not telling your dentist that you have taken the medication.

You definitely do need to let your dentist know if you're taking anti-anxiety meds beforehand, to avoid an overdose.

I'm not sure why they are so set against the idea though - most dentists who do IV sedation don't regard oral premedication as a problem. I hope that this new dentist you've been e-mailing will help you out :grouphug:

Even if she just wrote it on the paperwork that she is prescribed an anti-anxiety med, then she would be okay. who's to say at what time she took it, if she takes it when she awakens on a daily basis, then the oral surgeon will know, based on her paperwork. she needs just enough to get through the initial needle phobia. after that, it's all up to the docs to monitor her vitals, etc. this is not heart surgery; this is removal of wisdom teeth. I hate to say, "piece of cake," but when there is a phobia as severe as she has, she needs HELP. Get through this intial fear, and it's all down hill from there and she goes home to heal and rest. as long as someone else is watching her and giving her fluids and pain meds, etc., this is very doable. as i said in my original post, I believe that a caring staff there at the office is extremely important, and sending emails back and forth, you can't really get a feel of their office. you need to meet them and feel comfortable with them. you can write as many emails as you want, but until you meet the office staff, and that includes everyone there, including the receptionist, the assistants, and the surgeon, then and only then, can you decide that you are somewhat comfortable to proceed.

I think we all agree that control of anxiety and fear is important here. This dentist office said they would not use iv sedation with oral anxiety meds. There must be a reason. If it were me I think I would be a little afraid to go to them anyway. I think the best thing to do would be to find a dentist/os that is ok with it. I agree with letsconnect. I don't think it would be a good thing to "don't ask, don't tell". Having said that, I understand Equate that you concerned about this person's fears and controlling them and I can appreciate that.

Back