• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Reflecting on my appointment

kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
As many of you know from reading a few of the other support threads, I had an appointment on Thursday for a cleaning/exam. Sorry it took so long to post my experience. I have been very busy the last couple of days but I wanted to post my experience to give encouragement to others.

My appointment went as well as it could have. The waiting room was a little rocky. I had a hard time controlling my shaking and felt really self-conscious about it because there were 2 other people in the waiting room but I actually did not shake at all in The Chair. As I waited in a waiting room saturated in Halloween decorations (which was a little odd to me) something caught my attention; A middle-aged man was seated a few chairs to my right, nearest to the door. He was ringing his hands and then tucking them in his legs, tugging at his shirt collar, tapping his feet, fidgeting and changing positions, staring blankly for a few seconds at a time and then shutting his eyes and holding his head and then putting his hand over his eyes, occasionally looked as if he were going to faint...clearly a fellow phobic I almost felt compelled to give him the URL to this forum :XXLhug:. I was comforted to not be so "alone" but his anxiety was actually more intense than mine and fueling my fire a little so I tinkered with my phone til the shaking got to intense and visibly noticeable. At that point, I just focused on sitting still and attempting to reach a calmed and relaxed state. I also began to wonder if I looked as freaked out as that guy :confused:

The dentist did my entire cleaning/exam appointment which is highly unusual in the U.S. I guess she had a cancellation and just had nothing to do? One hygienist was busy with the fellow phobic and her other assistant who also does cleanings was assisting that hygienist for awhile and then was tidying the office and doing paperwork so my guess is the dentist just didn't have any patients to tend to at that time. I was happy to get her for the whole appointment though. I'm more comfortable with her than with anyone else and she's always very fast and gentle in her approach. My anxiety has been a little worse at my last few appointments because she has not talked to me as much or made as much of an effort to distract and relax me so I was a little concerned about how this was going to go. She was just like her old self again though and immediately greeted me warmly like an old friend, engaging me in conversation. I don't know if that is because I was a freaked out mess at my last appointment or I appeared more nervous this time from the start but I got the old dentist back that initially won me over :cloud9:. After she went through her stop signal spiel with me, she went to work and talking about random non-dental things to distract me. Happy to report the whole thing was very quick and painless and lasted about 20 minutes. I only had to signal to stop her once because some toothpaste had flung in my eye! :rolleyes: Also no cavities so I got a "see you in 6 months!". All in all, the appointment was actually quite lovely. For the first time in a long time, I was able to achieve that fully relaxed state again that I talked about on another thread. I think all I need is the dentist to talk to me and give me a lot of distraction ...I don't care what they talk about, just anything to take the focus off my mouth unless it is to warn me about a sensation coming up that might startle me. Survived until the next! :jump: THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT and KIND WORDS! I appreciate your thoughts and thank you to those whose threads I've hijacked recently on related topics! ;)

Great to hear it went so well! I was thinking about you. Thought you might be busy preparing for Thanksgiving...or a hurricane! I find hanging around in the waiting room (actually, that should read shaking around...) is worse than actually being in the surgery itself. I do agree with you, it's nice if there's some chat or some music to act as a distraction. My Midlands dentist used to make me actually want to laugh, which is difficult with a mouthful of hardware...the man I see now is very quiet, but when I am working I like absolute quiet too, so I can't hold that against him.
As promised :cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2:
Well done you!

I am so pleased for you that your appointment went so well and that you have found the old in your dentist again :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Best wishes :yay::yay::yay::dance::yay::yay::yay::friends::respect:

Well done kitkat! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Really, really pleased for you that it went so well. You say you 'survived', but all this talk of
the appointment was actually quite lovely
and
that fully relaxed state
sounds like much more than surviving to me - it sounds like you did really great! :thumbsup!: I hope you're feeling proud as well as grateful - credit definitely goes to both your dentist AND you!

As for this, it really made me lol:
I only had to signal to stop her once because some toothpaste had flung in my eye! :rolleyes:
:giggle: ;D

Don't worry about the 'hijacking' - I'm sure if it had been anything too blatant one of the mods/admins would quickly have whisked your post off into its own thread! :grin:

Yay for you! :yay:

Thanks everyone! I wish I could master the waiting room, I always think about all of you when I am in the waiting room now and that helps a lot. I try to stay in my car right up until my appointment time to reduce waiting room time but there was some confusion on when my appointment was. I swear I scheduled it for 9:45am and then they called to confirm for 10am. But I was concerned the person calling to confirm made a mistake and if I showed up at 10am they would say I was 15 minutes late so to play it safe, I showed up at 9:45am. I ended up having to wait 15 minutes! Longest 15 minutes of my life! I'm pretty sure that this is what people go through on death row! It's agonizing! :( I don't know why I always react that way ...I know rationally that they aren't going to kill or torture me. I've probably lost my mind for saying this, but I'd rather be in The Chair than in the waiting room! :ROFLMAO: I'm in a different mind-set in the chair. It's like "let's just deal with things as they come up" :unsure: vs. "OMG! What if....?!?!?!" :o. I think overall this was actually one of my BEST appointments and feel very proud for how it went! :)

Aldridge, did you see the news about our massive hurricane? I had no idea they were even talking about it over in the UK. It was on the other side of my state the other day (I live in Florida) so it was just really windy and we got some cold weather finally. It has moved north and is about to make landfall near New York. They are predicting it is going to be pretty bad and say it is a "Frankenstorm" and will be much worse than the "Perfect Storm" that happened several years ago due to it colliding with a winter storm. They are expecting a lot of damage between the wind, snow, and storm surge and think it's going to stall in place for about 5 days. I'm interested to see what will come of it and praying for the people who live in the North Eastern states but they seem to be bracing themselves for the worst and have already gathered recovery efforts that are ready to go and pick up the pieces.

My mind must have got lost with yours then, as I'd rather be in the chair than the waiting room! Thank heaven someone else feels the same. That's a relief!
There's been quite a lot on the UK news about the hurricane. It was bad enough here when we caught the tail end of one, so we can only imagine how frightening the full-blown thing must be. I have two "aunties" in the USA, one in Ohio and one in Oregon. Ohio was mentioned on this morning's news bulletin, but I only caught part of it, so I must watch tonight's bulletin. I'm glad it hasn't caused too much chaos where you are.
Half an inch of snow brings the UK to a shuddering halt, so I dread to think what a hurricane would do.

I had no idea they were even talking about it over in the UK. It was on the other side of my state the other day (I live in Florida) so it was just really windy and we got some cold weather finally. It has moved north and is about to make landfall near New York. They are predicting it is going to be pretty bad and say it is a "Frankenstorm" and will be much worse than the "Perfect Storm" that happened several years ago due to it colliding with a winter storm. They are expecting a lot of damage between the wind, snow, and storm surge and think it's going to stall in place for about 5 days. I'm interested to see what will come of it and praying for the people who live in the North Eastern states but they seem to be bracing themselves for the worst and have already gathered recovery efforts that are ready to go and pick up the pieces.

Hey everyone! I live in new Hampshire, and I work in Maine. Many of the schools around here are closed or releasing early in anticipation of "Frankenstorm". So far though, not much has happened as far as I can tell. A little wind and rain, but it's really not very cold outside. We'll see how it goes. . .

I'm used to hurricanes and tropical storms; living in Florida we get them a lot! Usually the worst part is losing electricity! Sometimes we get 4 or 5 in a single season but this one is worse than usual being a hybrid storm. I would take a hurricane over a tornado or earthquake any day though. At least you know what you are dealing with, when it's coming, how strong it is, you have a chance to prepare. Ohio might get the tail end of this one but nothing too serious. New York and the New England area is taking the brunt of it. They even closed the New York Stock Exchange and Grand Central Station and they are evacuating 375,000 people! I was supposed to start my new job this week but my HR is based out of New York and I just got a call from my boss saying there is no way they are going to be able to clear my paperwork and get me into the system this week because they have no power and are getting slammed with the storm so apparently, I have another week off. I have already been stalled for a month now waiting on my license to be processed so that was not awesome news but I might as well enjoy my time while I have it.

Hey everyone! I live in new Hampshire, and I work in Maine. Many of the schools around here are closed or releasing early in anticipation of "Frankenstorm". So far though, not much has happened as far as I can tell. A little wind and rain, but it's really not very cold outside. We'll see how it goes. . .

Thanks Shamrockerin! Keep us posted here if you can, so we know how things are going over there! Stay safe!

Thanks Shamrockerin! Keep us posted here if you can, so we know how things are going over there! Stay safe!

It seems to be picking up a bit now. More wind, more rain. . .power outages. . .so far, everything is still safe though which is the most important thing. I have a big flashlight, some KitKat candy bars, lots of candles, tons of good books to read, my wonderful fiancee and my pets, so I'm OK. Plus, we also have lots of :sleepyjuice:so we'll be just fine. ;)

Glad to hear that you are alright! Pretty soon you will be able to say that you rode the Frankenstorm of 2012! :superman: I hear that New Jersey and New York are starting to get slammed pretty hard and have seen some photos of the damage so far. Have a glass for me! :sleepyjuice:

How about I have 5 glasses for you? And maybe one for me too. . .;)

I ended up meeting a friend for strawberry mango margaritas tonight! CHEERS! :cheers:

Back