• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Appt Thursday

O

Osprey

So, yep. Have an appointment on Thursday to have my lower left, half gone, wisdom tooth lifted out. Yay.

Found out from the tech/hygienist that they do use the topical numbing stuff. She even told me that I would have more chair time waiting to get numb than I would have w/ the Dr. actually in my mouth. I am going to have to re-iterate with them that my main issue with this is fear of the unknown, not necessarily specifically fear of 'anything that's going to be done to me'.

Was already to go by myself, because, believe it or not, I'm better able to keep my poop in a group if I go alone and know that I only have myself to fall back on if I get wigged out. Finally got the courage to tell hubby that I had made an appointment (because letting this info slip to someone makes me accountable and therefore I have to go.) He asked me what time and all, and promptly declared that he was taking me to this appointment. Grr. Don't get me wrong, it's a very sweet thing to offer, however, I wanted to take me. He did say 'just for this first one, until we know how you're going to react'. Harrumph!

Am trying to stay in a positive, let's get this done so I can chew on both sides of my mouth again without pain, frame of mind, but all the unknowns are knotting up my stomach a bit. Especially the sounds and potential sounds: Popping, Cracking, the spit sucker...*shudder*. This dang tooth had better 'slide right out' like the doc said it would. :)

I would think that if the dentist thinks that the tooth will slide out it will, you will be amazed how quick it is and you probably won't even know it is done until they tell you.

He will numb you and wait until you feel real really good and numb, when I had my tooth out I heard like a little tear for a couple of seconds, and the next thing I knew he was saying to me it's out and done, they will then put a piece of lint rolled where the tooth has been extracted and tell you to bite down. He will then check that a clot is forming and you can go when he is happy. The person that said you would be waiting longer to get numb than having the tooth lifted was quite correct.

I wish you well and GOOD LUCK :clover::clover::clover: it will be fine, you will feel so much better after. The worry and stress you are feeling now is much worse than anything the dentist is going to do to you.

I would think that if the dentist thinks that the tooth will slide out it will, you will be amazed how quick it is and you probably won't even know it is done until they tell you.

He will numb you and wait until you feel real really good and numb, when I had my tooth out I heard like a little tear for a couple of seconds, and the next thing I knew he was saying to me it's out and done, they will then put a piece of lint rolled where the tooth has been extracted and tell you to bite down. He will then check that a clot is forming and you can go when he is happy. The person that said you would be waiting longer to get numb than having the tooth lifted was quite correct.

I wish you well and GOOD LUCK :clover::clover::clover: it will be fine, you will feel so much better after. The worry and stress you are feeling now is much worse than anything the dentist is going to do to you.

Thank you carole for the above. It really means a lot *hug*. Somewhere deep inside I know that I'll be ok, but the primitive Cave Brain, is really working overtime tonight.:( It's strange, mentally over the last few days, I keep going back and forth between 'OMFG!!!!', and, 'Whatevs...not a biggie'

I put some ambient genre music on my mp3 player, so hopefully that will help keep me a few notches below where I am now. And I put my bottle of Bach's Rescue Remedy in my purse, and hopefully that will take care of the rest of the edge...

*sigh* this sucks.

Hope it went well today.

Yes so do I, let us know how you got on when you feel up to it. :waiting::grin:

Hey guys! I'm still alive. Less one tooth! Have been writing up a huge, long post detailing the whole process. I hope to have it up by this evening or tomorrow morning.

Thank you all so much! Your question answering, care, and concern has been an awesome help. I don't know how to thank you all!

We all need answers and an understanding attitude at times, and we all get it on here. I am glad you managed to get it done.

WELL DONE YOU :jump::jump::jump::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::dance2::dance2::dance2::yayy::yayy::yayy::thumbsup!::welldone::welldone::welldone::welldone::welldone::welldone::welldone::welldone::you-rock::fireworks:

We all need answers and an understanding attitude at times, and we all get it on here. I am glad you managed to get it done.

WELL DONE YOU :jump::jump::jump::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::dance2::dance2::dance2::yayy::yayy::yayy::thumbsup!::welldone::welldone::welldone::welldone::welldone::welldone::welldone::welldone::you-rock::fireworks:

Awww! My own cheering section! Thank you!

I've been trying to post the blow by blow in the support forum, but every time I hit preview or post, the window freezes,and I have to close it and start over again. Will continue to try.

Hi Osprey maybe you could try a different browser (if you can), a couple of people who've had problems with posting have said that the problem disappeared once they switched to a different browser. Out of curiosity, can you let me know which browser (and version) you're using so that I can try and figure out if it's related to specific browsers? Cheers and looking forward to the blow by blow account :thankyou:!