• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is it normal to feel this way?

A

AbbyH85

So I went and saw my new teeth yesterday that will replace my final front tooth and my current partial. I got extremely sad, I felt like they dont look like me at all. I'm actually really depressed over this, I wish more than anything I could have my natural four front teeth back..Is this normal or am I crazy???

I think this is a reasonable way to feel. I feel attached to my teeth (no pun intended!) and although they’re not in the best shape they could be they’re still MY teeth and they have been a part of me/my identity for a long time. I think I’d feel the same way as you if I lost my front teeth. I wouldn’t worry about it too much though, I’m sure it will pass. Just know that your oral health will be better with your new teeth!

I do not think it's strange at all. I have one tooth that cannot be saved- the thought of having it extracted makes me very emotional for a number of reasons. I won't go into all of them, but one of them is simply what you've expressed- It's MY tooth!

It's been mine for decades now and I don't want to lose it. i don't want to have it replaced either. It feels like having a hole in my gums is a metaphor for a greater loss.

I think you are incredibly brave for having 4 teeth extracted- just the thought of one extraction has me like :frantic::frantic::frantic:.

I wish you all the best!!!!!

Thanks!

It's actually only one extraction for my last front tooth. I have a partial for my other three front teeth. The tooth itself is actually okay other than need to be re filled, but the dentist says it will never look right because of the countours, even with a crown it wil never match my partial. It just looks bad. So it does have to go.

Extractions always scare me, I have had 3 and honestly they have never hurt. It's just not a fun experience. The only thing I'm happy about is that it will be over in a matter of like 30 seconds.

I just guess, I remember how I used to look before I had anything done. When I had my canines taken out when I was 17. My family was poor so we were on government assistance. Well, when you go to one of those dentists saving teeth is not an option as it's not covered. I need root canals and crowns on them. I didnt need to lose them but had no other choice I was a kid. Then when this dentist did filings on my front teeth, she drilled them down to like nothing, handed me a mirror and said just this. "Look what you did to your self."
I cried and cried, the fillings began falling out of my left front tooth not long after and by that time I was 18 and couldnt get help to do anything. Eventually that tooth broke off and I got it pulled too and got a new partial.
It pisses me off now, I feel like I shouldn't even be in this position at 27 and I'm just angry.
Ugh, sorry for the long vent. Everything, is just coming to the surface and I feel like I'm losing my mind!!

Thanks!

It's actually only one extraction for my last front tooth. I have a partial for my other three front teeth. The tooth itself is actually okay other than need to be re filled, but the dentist says it will never look right because of the countours, even with a crown it wil never match my partial. It just looks bad. So it does have to go.

Extractions always scare me, I have had 3 and honestly they have never hurt. It's just not a fun experience. The only thing I'm happy about is that it will be over in a matter of like 30 seconds.

I just guess, I remember how I used to look before I had anything done. When I had my canines taken out when I was 17. My family was poor so we were on government assistance. Well, when you go to one of those dentists saving teeth is not an option as it's not covered. I need root canals and crowns on them. I didnt need to lose them but had no other choice I was a kid. Then when this dentist did filings on my front teeth, she drilled them down to like nothing, handed me a mirror and said just this. "Look what you did to your self."
I cried and cried, the fillings began falling out of my left front tooth not long after and by that time I was 18 and couldnt get help to do anything. Eventually that tooth broke off and I got it pulled too and got a new partial.
It pisses me off now, I feel like I shouldn't even be in this position at 27 and I'm just angry.
Ugh, sorry for the long vent. Everything, is just coming to the surface and I feel like I'm losing my mind!!

Don't apologize- we all need to vent sometimes. I know I've done it a number of times on this forum, and its usually about the same things.

I cannot believe that dentist made you feel so bad about getting fillings! Every time I hear/read a story like that, it makes me angry all over again.:mad: Dentists wonder why so many people are reluctant to visit, and it is often because an experience similar to yours in which they were made to feel foolish, or negligent or guilty or just plain scared. It's not exactly a mystery why we don't run back for treatment or care.

I am glad you're getting everything sorted though; I am 3 years older than you and I am dealing with less treatment, and I feel like a big baby whenever an appointment is looming (and during the appointment too, of course). To me, you're really brave.:)

Back