• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm getting so emotional since my tooth extraction

V

vikixc

Ugh, it's 4 days since I did the deed of having my impacted wisdom tooth removed, although I managed to eat a sausage and mash today, the area is still tingly I think the hunger overcame the pain, I have the most vile breath and taste and aching and throbbing. I just wanna curl up and die, I'm beginning to regret the whole thing. The pain before is nothing compared to what I'm going through now. I'm seeing my boyfriend at the weekend and I'm just getting so worked up because of the taste/smell of my mouth, I wont even be able to talk near him. It's so embarrassing. We haven't been together for long.
I went to the doctors today, he perscribed me codeine and 3days of penicillin. But I still have to go back t the dentist tomorrow to get the site checked because it's just turned to mush with splinters of bone and I'm guessing there's an infection or dry socket.
I still cant open my mouth more than 2 finger widths apart (about 1.5cm I have small hands) and the bruising has turned my cheek green, but that I can live with. I'm not the most confident person in the world and this is just taking it out of me, I'd rather give birth than go through this at least I'll have something good from it. This is just giving me hell.
I don't know what to do, I just want it to end everyones saying 2/3 weeks for full recovery, but I can't cope. Mainly because of my breath.
Everyday since the night of the extraction I have cried about 4 times a day. Today I was walking back from town with my mum and I was talking and oh my, I ain't going to make that mistake again, I cried all the way home. The cold air has intensified it by 100, now it aches even more.
Will it end or am I just going to continue in pain, oh yeah i should mention, I have toothache also from the wosdom tooth above the extraction site because its decayed, I asked them to remove that one first but they had more time to remove the bottom one. But they want me to go bck on friday to remove it, how will it be possible when i cant even open my mouth!?

PS. Using corsodyl, salt water and brushing around the site but having a real hard time brushing my tongue (cant get it out enough to brush)

Last edited:
I am sorry to read you are having these problems when you did so well going and getting it done. I don't know why you are still in pain, the dentist may be able to explain to you when you see them. The jaw on the other hand is aching because of the tooth removal. It will stop hurting sometime soon but I cannot tell you how long as everyone is different. The antibiotics will help after day 2 or 3 of taking them, try and drink milkshake or have something dairy when you take the antibiotic as it will help your stomach upset these can cause.

Get well soon:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I am sorry to read you are having these problems when you did so well going and getting it done. I don't know why you are still in pain, the dentist may be able to explain to you when you see them. The jaw on the other hand is aching because of the tooth removal. It will stop hurting sometime soon but I cannot tell you how long as everyone is different. The antibiotics will help after day 2 or 3 of taking them, try and drink milkshake or have something dairy when you take the antibiotic as it will help your stomach upset these can cause.

Get well soon:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'm mainly eating yoghurt and baby food -.- gets boring after a while :)
It is feeling a bit better today (not sure if it's codeine or actually in less pain) and the antibiotics I were told are a preventative measure rather than treatment. The breath is kind of subsiding. I'm rebooking my next extraction for next week, I wanna live a bit before going through it all again :)

Hi Viki ... I'm so glad things are a little better today! :jump: I don't blame you for giving yourself a break before going back. Be sure and take those pain meds as you needed. Hopefully all will be healed very soon.

Hi Viki ... I'm so glad things are a little better today! :jump: I don't blame you for giving yourself a break before going back. Be sure and take those pain meds as you needed. Hopefully all will be healed very soon.

Yeah I'm glad too, I just feel so dopey on the pain meds though, but I think it's gunna be ok. I have one positive thing from all this though, I'm not scared of the dentist :)

Hi Viki!
I'm sorry you are going through such a miserable time. I don't know why they could not remove both teeth at the same time but I think you are wise to reschedule and give yourself a bit of a rest between extractions. I had all 4 removed in one session and while the recovery was not fun, I was glad to get it over with. The difficulty with opening the jaw is just from the swelling and the breath is from all of that trauma to the tissues in your mouth. It will definitely get a little better each day as things heal. I remember the jaw swelling making me not feel "normal" and wondered if I was going to be permanently stuck this way, but that is not the case. I think it did take me about 3 weeks to feel normal again. I feel like there is a lot that the dentists neglect to share with you prior to procedures and there were a lot of things that I didn't expect with recovery like the wholes in my gums that had to be irrigated with a syringe daily after the stitches were removed until they had healed or that the stitches would be removed in the office if they didn't come out on their own. Maybe that is just common sense to other people but I had no idea about that or that the swelling would make it barely possible to open my mouth at all for a good week or so.

Try to keep up on your pain meds, it is difficult to get out of pain once you are already in pain. Codeine is purely a pain killer though, I would ask your dentist if you can take some sort of anti-inflammatory as well to actually address inflammation...it may a be a little more effective in pain control and promote healing...in the states we take Ibuprofen and Naproxen most commonly. I'm not sure if you are in the UK or not and what they take there but I would highly recommend calling your dentist to find out if that is a good option for you.

Hi Viki!
I'm sorry you are going through such a miserable time. I don't know why they could not remove both teeth at the same time but I think you are wise to reschedule and give yourself a bit of a rest between extractions. I had all 4 removed in one session and while the recovery was not fun, I was glad to get it over with. The difficulty with opening the jaw is just from the swelling and the breath is from all of that trauma to the tissues in your mouth. It will definitely get a little better each day as things heal. I remember the jaw swelling making me not feel "normal" and wondered if I was going to be permanently stuck this way, but that is not the case. I think it did take me about 3 weeks to feel normal again. I feel like there is a lot that the dentists neglect to share with you prior to procedures and there were a lot of things that I didn't expect with recovery like the wholes in my gums that had to be irrigated with a syringe daily after the stitches were removed until they had healed or that the stitches would be removed in the office if they didn't come out on their own. Maybe that is just common sense to other people but I had no idea about that or that the swelling would make it barely possible to open my mouth at all for a good week or so.

Try to keep up on your pain meds, it is difficult to get out of pain once you are already in pain. Codeine is purely a pain killer though, I would ask your dentist if you can take some sort of anti-inflammatory as well to actually address inflammation...it may a be a little more effective in pain control and promote healing...in the states we take Ibuprofen and Naproxen most commonly. I'm not sure if you are in the UK or not and what they take there but I would highly recommend calling your dentist to find out if that is a good option for you.

Yeah it is really miserable, I tell myself at night "it'll be better in the morning" sometimes I'm right :) I'm also taking ibuprofen, I asked the pharmacist if I could mix the 2 drugs, he said it's fine. Before the codeine I was taking 4 ibuprofen at a time (4 times a day) which is a box a day. My GP immediately switched me to codeine and told me never to do that again. :redface: I was just so desperate to be out of this miserable experience. Well I'm just looking at it this way 1 down one to go... It kinda helps.

By the looks of things I will also need the stitches removed, there's one or two that won't budge but we'll see how that goes :shame:

I was never given a syringe to clean with, but on Friday I might keep the appointment so they can check on it but NO WAY am I having the other removed now, apparently the reason for not taking them both out is because there was not enough time, even though she had a 45 minute slot and the first one only took 20. Meh maybe the top one will be difficult, it is decayed.

Viki, just to let you know if you don't have exceptionally long roots or roots that are wrapped around or anything the top ones are usually alot easier to extract. I don't remember if you said it was impacted or not. When I had my top wisdoms out it was pretty easy and the recovery was easy.

Yeah it is really miserable, I tell myself at night "it'll be better in the morning" sometimes I'm right :) I'm also taking ibuprofen, I asked the pharmacist if I could mix the 2 drugs, he said it's fine. Before the codeine I was taking 4 ibuprofen at a time (4 times a day) which is a box a day. My GP immediately switched me to codeine and told me never to do that again. :redface: I was just so desperate to be out of this miserable experience. Well I'm just looking at it this way 1 down one to go... It kinda helps.

By the looks of things I will also need the stitches removed, there's one or two that won't budge but we'll see how that goes :shame:

I was never given a syringe to clean with, but on Friday I might keep the appointment so they can check on it but NO WAY am I having the other removed now, apparently the reason for not taking them both out is because there was not enough time, even though she had a 45 minute slot and the first one only took 20. Meh maybe the top one will be difficult, it is decayed.

I'm really surprised that the dentist never prescribed any pain meds for you in advance. They had prescribed 800mg of Ibuprofen and also Percocet (narcotic- I can't remember the strength) for me. I took one Percocet on the first day and felt completely nauseous from the time it kicked in til the time it wore off and it made me vomit and that was the end of those! They made me feel more miserable than the pain! I stuck to ibuprofen the rest of the time and it was enough for the most part. They also gave me antibiotics as a precaution.

I think that decayed teeth can be difficult because they can break apart but it all just depends and like others have said, it really depends on the roots and if there is already bone loss around the tooth with how easy it comes out.

I did not get a syringe until my follow-up appointment when they removed the left-over stitches. I think they don't want you messing with the site until it is mostly healed and the stitches are out because you run the risk of dry socket which is why they wait to give you the syringe. After they removed the stitches they gave me a little syringe lesson. I was not lucky with the dissolving stitches...I think I still had almost all of them at my followup. Don't stress if they need to take the stitches out; it's completely painless and just takes a second to snip them and remove them. It didn't bother me at all, I just wish that I had known beforehand that they were planning on doing that so I could prepare myself because I had never had any prior experience with stitches and wasn't sure what to expect.

I agree with what tabatha has said. The top wisdoms weren't as bothersome to me in recovery as the bottoms but my bottoms were more impacted so I don't know if that had more to do with the impaction or the location :confused:.

The top one is impacted, but it's not a boney impaction (I think that's what it's called) and I know theye supposed to be easier but this weekend I'm not going to be at home, I'd rather just wait a while, I'm going to call today to sort it out.

The pain is now alot more manageable though. I don't mind when it's done,I just want it all over by Xmas

Back