• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

2 Stops 'Til Denture-ville...

L

LLM

It's time.

Last night, one of my remaining molars broke whilst eating rice. As soon as I heard it break, something broke within me, as well. I can't articulate exactly what was different this time. After all, this is not a new scenario to me whatsoever. (My teeth have broken at the very sight of certain foods. "He expects us to chew that? Well, we'll show him!" :censored:) Usually when a tooth breaks, I get scared and worry incessantly - dread ensues, with a sense of impending doom. BUT last night it was different. When that molar broke, I GOT ANGRY. I mean ANGRY. Angry because I deserve to smile. Angry because I deserve oral health. Angry with myself for neglecting dental work due to my phobia. Angry because I am educated and capable of reaching my goals. The only thing holding me down is this smile, which disgusts me at this point. I am done. (I swear a clap of thunder was booming outside my window as I wrote that! The atmosphere may as well match my mood, I suppose.) So, first thing this morning, I made the call and scheduled the consultation appointment for full dentures.

It has been a long, difficult road. I have endured 7 extractions within the last year and a half. (The most that I've had extracted at one time is 3, btw.) I have been conscious through each of them, and I have survived. I have 17 enamel-clad enemies left to battle. . .and I have made up my mind - THEY ARE LEAVING THE PREMISES ASAP. My dental phobia is still intact, very much; but my health is more important. This time, I'm ready. This time, I'm angry enough to do something about it - permanently. "This time, it's war!" (Thank you for the tagline, Aliens)

I'm finished with:
(1) Chewing strategically to avoid pain - which is not always possible
(2) Hearing the next tooth cracking
(3) Being ashamed to laugh w/o covering my mouth
(4) Thinking "I could do (fill in the blank), but my teeth..."
(5) Worrying that I need to keep antibiotics on hand in case of an abscess
(6) Not smiling.

My consultation is Tuesday, June 15th, 2015 @ 10:30 a.m. I plan to record my experience here, step by step. Hopefully, I can be of some use to another human being who is going through this horror...

Last edited:
I am still feeling confident in my decision. Honestly, at this point, I am looking forward to my consultation. I took a 'before' picture of my teeth. Perhaps, I will gather enough courage to share it here. I have hidden my smile for so long. It might be therapeutic to 'come out' and share my current smile and motivation for dentures. We'll see.

A little about my background (as no one gets here - wanting/needing dentures - overnight):

Firstly, I have always been and avid brush-er and floss-er. My teeth were exemplary all throughout my childhood. I never even had a cavity until I was seventeen. I had watched my mother spend a small fortune on dental work. My father, the same. My mother still has her teeth. My father gave up the ghost decades ago. He has dentures. So, genetically, I inherited weak teeth. Simple as that. I know individuals who have avoided dentists for decades, whose teeth are strong and healthy when they do return to the dentist. I BELIEVE that the strength and endurance of one's teeth are 80% hereditary.

I digress.

Around the time I turned 23, everything began to change. My teeth started breaking. Every time that I visited the dentist, they handed me a laundry list of work that I needed done. I have never had a clean bill of dental health since. My parent's dental reality had become my own. I am now 36 years old. Over $15,000 has been spent - 4 root canals, bridges, fillings, etc. - over the past 13 years trying to save my teeth. All the while, I was fighting panic attacks, claustrophobia (which really kicks in, full-tilt boogie, when I am in a dentist's chair), and debt. My own mother even went into debt, trying to help me save my teeth.

About six years ago, I was at my dentist's office due to an abscessed tooth. He examined my whole mouth. Then, he came in with an antibiotic prescription and a new, epic novel's worth of dental work that I needed, with a price tag similar to that of a new car. Much like this past Thursday night, something inside of me broke. At that exact moment, I was done. Finished. I had fought the good fight, but seemed that I could NEVER get my teeth healthy enough to no longer require serious work.

I cried as a I drove home that day; and after that, I gave up trying to save my teeth. My wallet, patience, and mental health could handle no more. Not a single procedure. I started having trouble teeth extracted (slowly, over time - with a great deal of anxiety which has tried the patience of many an oral surgeon and the patience of my loved ones). If a tooth needed anything more than a filling or crown, "PULL IT!" was my happy response. One of the first extractions was a failed $2,000 root canal.

So, at this point, I only have molars on the left side of my mouth. This is the only area in which I can chew. I do not remember the last time that I just put food into my mouth and ate it without carefully planning how I am going to chew it. Last Thursday, as I wrote, one of my three remaining molars broke in half. So, now I have little to no chewing power. It was the last straw, and that is how I have ended up here, 2 stops from denture-ville.

Last edited:
My consultation for full dentures is Tuesday, June 16th @ 10:30 a.m.

Wow, your story is so nearly a mirror of my own, I am even 36 as well! The only difference really is the number of procedures you have had done. Due to my anxiety, I have only mustered the strength to get 3 extracted over the past almost 20 years (wow, I can't believe it has been that long). Each time it was due to abscess pain I could no longer near and by the time I got to the surgeon, I had been battling so much pain the anxiety was nothing. All 3 times went pretty well...all just local anesthesia and a xanax beforehand. Didn't even need any pain meds after (i hate meds also, lol).

Now though, I am at the point of really no return. I have to get full uppers, though luckily my bottoms have stuck around (the front 5 on each side). The only extractions I have had were on the bottom, though all the way in the back). I have my two fronts, a canine, and one molar or the top right left. All my others are broke off at the gum line and in many cases the gum has grown back over(this is the part that worries me the most about the extraction surgery honestly).

I have gone for a consult but never made the step to the oral surgeon appointment. I woke up Friday again with a raging abscess on my right side making my face all swollen and very painful...I missed work, again. I cannot keep doing this and I need to just get it over with, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared. I need to force myself to get moving, even after these antibiotics kill this abscess and I have no pain. This is my biggest problem...I will have an abscess, the pain motivates me to do it, get the antibiotics, pain goes away, motivation is lost. Ugh! I was reading about abscesses the other day and while I know it is rare, it can lead to a brain infection, causing death on some cases, so I told myself, which am I more afraid of? The surgery or dying? Sounds dramatic but I hope it helps my decision making.

Please do keep us updated with the process as I know it will help people like me.

Mike

Mike

I relate to every word that you typed. I know the fear of treatment vs. the fear of infection all too well. I also know that after-antibiotic relief, and filing it all away for another day once the pain is gone. Work missed, disciplinary action for absences - all due to teeth. I have been there, too. For me, I have passed the point of no return. I can't go on like this any longer. I can honestly say that I am more frightened to leave my teeth in my mouth at this point.

What frightens me the most is IV sedation. I had it once as a teenager for wisdom teeth. I am a control freak and did not like the amnesia effect. Not for me, if I can help it. I will discuss this on Tuesday with the surgeon. Maybe valium will work for me. I'll keep this journal updated.

Regarding your teeth broken below the gum line, I have been there, too. It was one of the easiest extractions that I had done. The dentist told me that because of the severe level of decay, the tooth was not as firmly rooted. It seriously was out before I could blink!

Thank you for reading and responding. YOU deserve a healthy mouth!!! We all do. You have had extractions. You are here talking about your phobia. These are big steps that you are taking. Head to that oral surgeon's office and own it. You can do it.

Last edited:
Hi guys, thanks for posting your story LLM. I know about abscess and they are horrible! They aren't the only thing that can happen when you have a mouth full of terrible teeth, theres also heart disease. This is one of the biggest reasons that helped me make up my mind to sort myself out...other than just being quite literally exhausted by the dramas of choosing what i can or cannot eat and in front of who in case i broke a tooth etc.

I got 16 extractions and an immediate denture 2 days ago under IV sedation.

Even though I have anxiety about my dental health, the more recent part of my journey I would not change. Im so happy i chose to suck it up for 1 day...and woke up and its done.

Yes i have pain now, yes im swollen and yes it hurts to eat etc.

All of this now though, i have come to realize is a small price to pay. Goodluck with your journey.

@Bugs25 - Fantastic that you finally did it. 16, that certainly is a lot, and more than the 13 I have. Well, now that I think about it, I have 15 bc I am not counting the 2 on the bottom I need out as well. How was the IV sedation? Did you have any fears of it going in at all? I am with LLM on this one and am a control freak (well, technically that sounds worse than it is - it is not I HAVE to control everything, but my anxiety disorder comes from feeling out of control, trapped, etc. vis a vis, I like to at least feel like I am in control, lol). I have gone through so much pain with my abscesses over the years that I am really not even worried about the afterward pain. I am sure it will suck and I am also not one for pain meds at all either (same reason as above) so if ibuprofen will be enough to knock it down a peg, I think I can deal with it. I always find it funny that after the extractions I have had done the doc tries to give me a narcotic and I'm like "No thanks, I won't take them" (and I don't need them either!) - they seem so confused. On a tangent, while I do not wish it on them, it is ironic that dentists usually take care of their teeth very well (duh!) and really can never relate to the pain we suffer. They can sympathize all they want, but empathy is an out of reach goal for them.

@LLM - I love the attitude. I feel like taking your approach will help me as well. It is war now. My teeth have been pushing me to the limit and now it is time to eliminate them and send them off to...(where to they put all the teeth anyway?)..somewhere where they can not ever cause harm again. I can go on about my merry way and feel better, look better, and be better. I look forward to hearing the rest of your success story. The antibiotics I have been taking for this most recent abscess are slowly working. I only missed one day of work this week - although luckily I am an IT Analyst and have the ability to work from home, which I did so that was nice. My biggest issue is going to be getting the time off. For whatever reason, the dentists in my area prefer to not do the immediate dentures...they want to wait about 4 or 5 days for the swelling to go down. The only thing worrying me about this is potential for dry socket which I heard immediates help alleviate.

Good luck to both of you!

Immediates act as a bandaid kinda...so yea, you shouldn't get dry socket if u have immediates. But if you dont get immediates and unluckily get a dry socket, i hear oil of cloves will help.

I had a mouth of blood for a few days, dentist was pretty adamant I have to clamp my jaw down in the first 48hrs too.

I would suggest you find somewhere that does immediates. Or go get it done at a denture place. Its bad enough having pain, i cant imagine not having anything in there and feeling stitches. Eeek!

Seriously though, i cant believe i waited so long to get this done....if i had of known what i know now then mayb i would have.

It will change your life.

bugs25 - Congrats to you for a job well done! I would like to hear more about your experience with IV sedation.

Again, I had it once...and did not like the aftermath. I don't remember over 12 hours and I awoke intensely nauseated. What I do know of it was recounted to me by my mother. This includes cursing at staff who were trying to sit me in a wheelchair to telling my mother that "I've been high before, but I am really f-----d up today, mom!" Again, I remember none of this! I am willing to do it, though. I have fought this losing battle for too long. (I also am looking forward to eating in restaurants. I have avoided that for years with reasoning similar to yours.)

Mike - Control freak may be a bit severe, but I do not like being out of control. I have no interest in controlling others, but I do like being in control of myself and my surroundings. It's really from a lack of trust in others, isn't it? Doctors and dentists DO NOT comfort me. Quite the opposite. I am usually skeptical and not very trusting. I have to give up control on this front, though. I just have to. BTW I am having to drive an hour to a place in Nashville, TN that does same day extractions and immediate dentures. This service is not offered in my town. Did I mention that I hate the freeway? Oh well, war on all fronts, I suppose.! Bring it!

Thanks LLM.

I like to be in control too....but, think of it this way... "I'M in control because i choose to do this...I'M making the choice to better my self and my health"

So funny story...about a year ago before my wedding, i all of a sudden got really sick. Gastro. Both ends at the same time, it was a horrific experience and my darling fiance saw me at my worst...my shittiest actually. He still married me.

So back to IV sedation. ..they put the cannula in and they started to release the drugs. My husband was in the room to help relax me as i was so anxious and horribly nervous. So then apparently decided it was a great idea to tell everyone in the room how im so lucky to have him....that i shit my pants and he still married me! Poor hubby was ushered out before I had the chance to embarrass him any more. God knows what else i said.

As for when i woke up, i felt fine...the sedation people give a combination of different drugs. One is an anti nausea drug they give to cancer patients. But you should (i did?) Have the opportunity to meet with the sedation people before and they can tweak it for the best outcome.

Bugs25 - That's fantastic~! Sounds like you have found a man who understands the difference between gastrointestinal upset and true love! Thanks for the laugh. I'll have to tell you about the time that I took a Z-Pak antibiotic and then went shopping! Not good!!!

UPDATE: I have just returned from my consultation. All systems go. I chose to go ahead and make my impressions/molds today. This way, on the day of my surgery, my immediate denture will be ready to go. The impressions were ok. The top impression seemed determined to test my gag reflex. I won! So, impressions top and bottom complete.

After that, I met my oral surgeon. She was caring, but determined to get down to business and improve my health. She had a great, morbid sense of humor - which is my favorite sort of humor! We clicked very well. (Turns out she's a Capricorn, so that relaxes me, as crazy as I must sound. Oh well, I've never been accused of drinking the sanity Kool-Aid.) In short, she was incredible and gave me over $1,500.00 in discounts as to not exceed my credit limit!

We decided to go with oral, conscious sedation. I will take two valium before bed and one the morning of the procedure. She also prescribed an antihistamine b/c I do have allergies & asthma, and she wanted to be sure that I am breathing clearly the day of.

That's basically the whole story so far. My full mouth extractions / immediate dentures E-Day is scheduled for Tuesday, June 23rd, 2015. One week from today. Let the nervous breakdown commence!!! :jump:lol

That is wonderful! I have my extractions and temporary set for next Wednesday. I am actually looking forward to what I will be able to do without these teeth (sounds crazy I know). I am so glad that you found a surgeon that works for you - it is such a relief. Just think of it this way - you are currently at the bottom of the mountain and are about to get a gondola ride to the top - scary and breathtaking - but you are on your way back up - no more free falling and crashing. Congrats! :yay:

LLM so good to hear you have chosen to go ahead. Its so worth it. Once its done, you'll be like "what was all that fuss about". And you wont stop smiling like me...all puffy and givin everyone a pearly white show lol

June 23rd is my birthday, great day and always has been so you'll do great!

sleepless - Thank you for the encouragement. Looks like we are in this one together! I am understanding correctly - your E-Day is the day after mine, right? I'm ready for my gondola ride of victory!!! Thank you again for your kindness.

bugs25 - I chose the 23rd of June...I knew that it was a magical day! :party: Thanks for your humor and your encouragement over the past several days!

When you're done...id like you to post up a pic too. This is me, 4 days after extracting 16 teeth and getting used to full dentures.

Had my stitches out today and Dr thinks im doing really well. Ive also quit smoking and upped my vitamin and vegetable intake to help speed up the healing process. Dr believes that this has worked, im already at the stage i should be at 3 weeks and its only day 4!

Cant keep this smile off my face and i wish the same for everyone who suffered like i did!

Attachments

• 20150617_135023.jpg
    20150617_135023.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 56
~Re: 2 Stops 'Til Denture-ville...

Looks fabulous!!!! I will definitely post an updated pic when it is finished. My avatar/profile pic here is me now...this is my "smile" at this point. I do not show my teeth. I can't wait to update my 'after' pic!

You look terrific!!! :cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks LLM, i used to think of dentures as "old people "teeth...one size fits all type of thing. They're not at all like that. Its all so much more advanced these days and ive had friends and family in shock because i think they were not expecting them to look real lol

Do yourself a favor and start pumping yourself with multivitamin and get your nutrition up. Ditch the ciggies if you're a smoker cause it takes a lot longer to recover and honestly, its really difficult to have one after (yes i tried and failed).

Trust me, you wont recognize yourself after...you wont be able to wipe the smile off your face! :grin:

Good advice, bugs 25. I will definitely heed your suggestions.

Well, four days until my appt for full mouth extractions. I vacillate between being excited (bye bye broken/abscess tooth woes FOREVER) and nervous about the procedure and aftermath. I suppose this is normal.

Luckily (or unluckily) my broken molar still hurts. So, this pain and difficulty chewing is helping me retain my resolve to see this whole thing through. I am going to do this. I don't care if they have to strap me to the chair. This shit has to be end. I am so done with having unhealthy teeth and an ugly smile.

I have arranged care for my dogs the day of and day after the surgery. Tonight, I am going to the supermarket to pick up foods that I can eat during the aftermath of full extractions and immediate denture placement. I would love to hear anyone's suggestions for such foods...

I didnt eat anything the day i had mine out..but the day after i had veggies soft boiled and mashed up with chicken gravy. That was tasty. Also have cold custard, jelly, icecream and yogurt. I also had nutrbullets each day, if u have one use it!

I am starting on solids now, so ive been eating mostly french toast (really soggy) so i get used to the chewing sensation. Keep in mind theres still quite a bit of pain in my mouth. Lastnight my dad came over and my husband ordered pizza for them. I had 2 slices, but i did have to use a knife and fork to cut in small pieces AND i had to shave the crunchy base off it. Took a while but i did it.

Your story sounds so much like mine, except I'm a little older - in my 40's... but I lived for around 10 years with ONE lower molar to chew on.
It broke on March 30th... I knew I was done!
I'm only 10 days post surgery with IV sedation, to remove the last of the upper teeth, the broken molar at the bottom and to place an implant post on the other side lower, so I will have something to chew on eventually - when the lower heals where they cut out that broken molar, I'll have an implant put in that side as well.

My upper jaw was pretty much only teeth in the front, and a molar at the top to match where that one broke, and they were all crowned. (9 teeth) I had one crown pop off, a couple of weeks ago, with an emergency run to get it glued back, and when they took impressions, they pulled off another... Those crowns had been in over 20 years - so yeah it was probably time, I knew they would all start falling off, and I can't afford to have that extensive restoration - and STILL only have 9 teeth... so I have a denture up top now. And a pretty smile! (my lower teeth don't show when I smile)

IV sedation was awesome for me, I remember a few bits as I was going to sleep, and a couple of seconds afterwards, walking to the car etc.... but I don't remember the drive home even (half hour drive, I asked my husband if I nagged him about his driving skills... HAHA I didn't! ) and then sleeping it off for a few hours.

I have struggled the last 10 days, not being able to eat anything = only liquids, and I've lost some weight, but its getting better now, I can eat egg and softer things, which is fantastic, and I've had no pain pills for the last 3 days! ;D

I can't say if you'll be happy with your decision or not, I know I've gone back and forth myself, just today talking to someone wondering if they could TELL!!! :o

Back