• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

One filling down, one more to go!

C

CammyM

Today I went in for one of my fillings (a back lower molar). I had a cleaning a few weeks before this, which was honestly pretty rough for me, the hygienist was very nice but not the gentlest. I was so nervous to go back for my fillings but it turns out it was way easier than my cleaning! I took a Valium on the way to my appointment, which helped a lot. I've met this dentist before and requested her again, and she's absolutely wonderful. She started by telling me that she'll let me know before she does anything so I won't be surprised, and if I wanted her to stop at anytime she would. I was absolutely terrified of the novicaine shot, and I've never had the numbing gel before the shot (it was never an option at the densist i went to as a kid). I can honestly say that the two shots I got were painless. The assistant held my hand the whole time and was so sweet. As soon as they were done though, my body had this crazy reaction to the epinephrine in the novicaine, and i was shaking uncontrollably. It only lasted a minute or two and the dentist explained that it does that to some people. After I was numb, she started drilling and it only took maybe a minute and a half. I did put my had up for a break and she immediately stopped, which went a long way in making her me trust her more. The drilling was also painless! I brought earbuds with me so I could be distracted by music, but the sound of the drill was way too loud to hear it over unless I was blasting it, and it wasn't over so quickly that I didn't be need it anyways. Then there was another minute or two of her putting the filling stuff in, and then she had me bite down on a paper strip and it was done. The whole thing was so quick and so much easier than I had worked it up to be in my head. I go back for the other filling next month, and I'm sure I'll still be nervous but not anywhere near as much as I was before. I honestly never thought I would finally be able to get these fillings done, and now I only have one left to do!

Well done!!! :jump::jump: Thanks for sharing this and best of luck to you on your last filling. I'm sure you'll ace that one too!!! :)

Back