• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What is Working for Me on the Journey

T

tiredofbeingscared

I've been working with a dentist since May of 2017 after a 7 year hiatus from visiting the dentist at all. Just a few things that have worked well for me, personally.
First, I did some journaling to help me dig a little deeper and figure out why in the world I had become so afraid. In my case, I have always been told I have such a beautiful smile, and when my teeth started getting a lot of cavities in my early and mid-twenties and the dentist said it was damage from childhood and I couldn't do anything about it, I felt a real loss of control and I started to feel ashamed of something that had always made me proud. So I started ignoring and avoiding dealing with it (which was obviously not smart but fears aren't really based on logic, as we know). I also seem to need more novacaine than the average person, and experienced pain during a few different filling sessions during those years, which did increase my anxiety.

Figuring out my root issues was a big step to help me move forward. Then finding a dentist's office where the staff was ready to give me a little extra time and patience was very important. I now trust these folks immensely and never feel judged or shamed. I also know triggers for me (I simply CANNOT look at x-rays of my teeth, for example) and I communicate those things with the staff so that they can accommodate me and make sure photos aren't where I can see them. My dentist also knows that I can't handle "the full picture." So he just tells me what the next step is that we are going to address, and we address that next step. I ask for as little information as he can possibly tell me without him feeling uncomfortable as a medical professional. That helps ease my anxiety, too. And nitrous oxide is a must, for me personally (yes, even during a teeth cleaning). I have had 4 root canals and all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed in the last 7 months. And I'm thrilled to say that the next issue I'll be going in for is just a filling (I'm sure there are many fillings to be had, but I think the most intense procedures are behind me for now!).

Finding a dentist's office I can trust and who listens to what I need in order to stay in the chair has made a huge difference. It is a WONDERFUL feeling to be working on getting back to good oral health. I hope some of these ideas might help other folks!

Oh, and on the financial front, I do make use of CareCredit. This is an expensive journey I am on, unfortunately, but being able to make payments over a period of time makes a world of difference, as the strain it puts on my family's finances is lessened.

Congrats!! I definitely agree that it’s all in the dentist. Finding a caring, patient, gentle dentist is half the battle. I’m glad that you found a dentist you’re comfortable with. I’m also glad that the hard part is over! What a huge relief.