• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Journey through dental phobia to a new smile

Hi, lovely to hear from you! I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough day today, I thought I'd reply as quickly as possible to be able to offer support. ALL I had was rough days for a few months after my work started in September, so please believe me-I know exactly how paralyzing and depressing it is. It's just hellish. I went into the dental office yesterday evening to pay a payment on my plan and I spoke to one of the many lovely receptionists there, she's particularly nice :) I asked her, how do you think I will do during sedation, it's coming up pretty soon! And she was so reassuring and said Oh, it'll be great, you will love it etc etc and said she'd definitely have it if and when she needs it. So I did feel reassured. I've amazed myself by the calm and peace I'm feeling over the whole thing, again-I put it down to my faith which I've really clung to since this all started. You will be just fine. Deep down you know that, you're just overly anxious right now and thinking about after the IV probably also?
Like I've said before, this will soon be in your rear view window and you will be feeling so proud of yourself and relieved to have had it all done. It's just the thought of going through it that has you freaked out, that's totally understandable!
You've got this! It's going to be all over with soon and you won't need to worry about it any more?
I don't know if I'm going to get really anxious before the appointment or not, I'm scared of having a panic attack. But we are both going to go forward and it's going to be bearable. Agreed?!
And Yes, he definately wants to move to Texas. They call where we live in Alberta 'Texas North because of our oil and gas industry. I always was fascinated and still am about New England. We lived in California for a few years but I always wanted to see New England. Yes, we have had record snowfall this past week if over 50cm and temps of -40, it can be a bit depressing.
Remember, I and others are thinking of you and sending you thoughts of peace and strength to help you through, sleep Well!

Hello again. How lovely to sign in before bed and see you replied to my message. You definitely have made me feel better! After my rough first half of the day I managed to feel a little better, but I had a good cry first I’m not going to lie. I consider it a release valve. It’s so nice to have someone to talk to who understands what my particular situation is first hand. I often describe it as a Hell of sorts even though I do understand there are people facing much more severe and life threatening circumstances. We all have our demons we wrestle with don’t we? My goal is to help as many people like me as I can and I already vowed if I come into a lot of money I am going to open a dental clinic for those with both dental anxiety and limited funds. No one should ever have to suffer with poor teeth.

While it’s always lousy to make a payment for the astronomical amount of work we’re having done, it’s actually quite good you were able to stop in between appointments for a non dental visit. The more familiar we can become with the place and the more pleasant and non threatening our visits, the better! It was nice to be offered some extra reassurance about the IV. Truth is the stuff is good. Very good. We are both very lucky we have it available to us in fact. And I know I’m going to take a Valium a hour before the appointment and have no cares by the time I get there just like before...rationally I know this. Anxiety is like a monster that demands feeding so it tricks the brain into thinking up all kinds of wild imaginations. I know the relief we will both feel will be tremendous. I’ll be in your corner on that day, I mentally have it marked on my calendar. You can feel free to private message me any time you would like.

New Hampshire is the must see of New England. But I do recommend the fall or summer months, for obvious reasons. Ideally I would love summers there and winters here but we’re certainly not in that position financially especially after the dental bill! ?

Thank you for being so kind and understanding. I really appreciate it!❤️

Hello again. How lovely to sign in before bed and see you replied to my message. You definitely have made me feel better! After my rough first half of the day I managed to feel a little better, but I had a good cry first I’m not going to lie. I consider it a release valve. It’s so nice to have someone to talk to who understands what my particular situation is first hand. I often describe it as a Hell of sorts even though I do understand there are people facing much more severe and life threatening circumstances. We all have our demons we wrestle with don’t we? My goal is to help as many people like me as I can and I already vowed if I come into a lot of money I am going to open a dental clinic for those with both dental anxiety and limited funds. No one should ever have to suffer with poor teeth.

While it’s always lousy to make a payment for the astronomical amount of work we’re having done, it’s actually quite good you were able to stop in between appointments for a non dental visit. The more familiar we can become with the place and the more pleasant and non threatening our visits, the better! It was nice to be offered some extra reassurance about the IV. Truth is the stuff is good. Very good. We are both very lucky we have it available to us in fact. And I know I’m going to take a Valium a hour before the appointment and have no cares by the time I get there just like before...rationally I know this. Anxiety is like a monster that demands feeding so it tricks the brain into thinking up all kinds of wild imaginations. I know the relief we will both feel will be tremendous. I’ll be in your corner on that day, I mentally have it marked on my calendar. You can feel free to private message me any time you would like.

New Hampshire is the must see of New England. But I do recommend the fall or summer months, for obvious reasons. Ideally I would love summers there and winters here but we’re certainly not in that position financially especially after the dental bill! ?

Thank you for being so kind and understanding. I really appreciate it!❤️

I was just thinking oh no-I never replied, but then remembered I pm'd you :)

Well, it is the day before the day before my iv sedation. I'm going into work tomorrow but off today as it is a holiday here. I have been surprisingly calm for most of the last few weeks and having so much support from this forum and from my family and friends really has helped with that, but I must admit that this past few days have been a bit more difficult with anxious thoughts and fears about how it will go on Wednesday.
I know it's probably how most people think and feel but my tummy is turning somersaults when it comes into my head now. I have more or less convinced myself that I won't die under sedation, but I just am terrified about having a terrible reaction or having a panic attack when I 'wake up'.
Also, my jaw is constantly feeling stretched and strained because my bite is 'lost' as the dentist put it, the temp bridge is very flexible so it's making everything be a bit off. I am going to physio but nothing lasts for long, sometimes it is down my neck too and my shoulders. It's not so painful I have to take meds, but it's uncomfortable and annoying. I really hope that it heals after I have my permanent bridge in a few weeks.
Yes, that's right, I am going to have my final impression done this Wednesday,then in few weeks I am having sedation again to have the permanent appliance placed. The dentist also wants me to have a broken tooth extracted and an implant put in and another cracked tooth crowned. So I feel a bit overwhelmed at the minute quite honestly but at the same time, I'm anxious to get it over with and to get on with my life. I am so sick of it all. I am getting my hopes up that this will all go well and I am nowhere near as worried as I was 4 months ago, but I am easily anxious these days and I hope things just go well and I can have the same straightforward experience as everyone else seems to have on here...I'm concerned also that I will say something stupid or offensive while sedated or will be nauseous or actually throw up, I don't like being sick at all...
Ah well, I thought to myself earlier today that no matter how I feel right now, it won't affect the outcome one bit, so best to do my best to enjoy life and get on with things :) thank you to the kind people who have helped me here with their encouraging word of support, I am so blessed by you ALL!!

Last edited:
Good luck is it your first time doing sedation? Waiting for stuff just drags so much literally know what you mean with being sick of it all.

Good luck is it your first time doing sedation? Waiting for stuff just drags so much literally know what you mean with being sick of it all.

Thanks so much Tazey, yes it is my first time and I am really overthinking it. I have had GA several times, 4 epidurals and had morphine and I think the same drugs are used in IV sedation but am not sure, hopefully they are the same because I have had no trouble with any of them in the past.
Yeah, waiting is the worst......

Overthinking is prob what we all do,I've not done i.v had G/A twice+due another op (which I'm guessing will be G/A again) doesnt get any easier. Wouldn't be able to be remotely awake for it tho (not that its ever been an option) what I don't like is feeling uncomfortable (pain aswell but that can be dealt with). Try+stay distracted till then,not something I'm good at but it may help.

Overthinking is prob what we all do,I've not done i.v had G/A twice+due another op (which I'm guessing will be G/A again) doesnt get any easier. Wouldn't be able to be remotely awake for it tho (not that its ever been an option) what I don't like is feeling uncomfortable (pain aswell but that can be dealt with). Try+stay distracted till then,not something I'm good at but it may help.

So true Tazey! I think like you, I might always find it difficult to go through these things, maybe not-who knows? I just want it to be a non-event you know? I think keeping busy is very important, I see intend to!

.I'm concerned also that I will say something stupid or offensive while sedated

I'm pretty sure everything will go great.

I am absolutely certain of one thing: you won't say anything stupid or offensive. I had the same fear, and it was the last thing I told the oral surgeon before going under. I apologized in advance, and they just good-naturedly laughed.

They said that the famous people who do that on Youtube and Vine are being coached. No one actually says a bunch of fool stuff, and this oral surgeon does these procedures five times a day.

So that is absolutely one thing you don't have to worry about.

One more thing:

I find it interesting that you want to move on with your life, that you are more sick of it than scared. I've felt the same way about my gum graft, and I think that is a natural experience. You're progressing. To the extent that the word "normal" means anything, you're normal!

You keep us posted. This is going to be okay. Pretty soon you'll be posting that you made it through real well.

I'm pretty sure everything will go great.

I am absolutely certain of one thing: you won't say anything stupid or offensive. I had the same fear, and it was the last thing I told the oral surgeon before going under. I apologized in advance, and they just good-naturedly laughed.

They said that the famous people who do that on Youtube and Vine are being coached. No one actually says a bunch of fool stuff, and this oral surgeon does these procedures five times a day.

So that is absolutely one thing you don't have to worry about.

One more thing:

I find it interesting that you want to move on with your life, that you are more sick of it than scared. I've felt the same way about my gum graft, and I think that is a natural experience. You're progressing. To the extent that the word "normal" means anything, you're normal!

You keep us posted. This is going to be okay. Pretty soon you'll be posting that you made it through real well.

Thank you so much, as always your thoughts are calm and kind.
I'm very relieved to hear that I won't make a fool of myself by saying something inappropriate, that really has bothered me.
It's good to know I'm somewhat normal, I always want to feel that way but since I developed this anxiety issue it's sometimes difficult to do so. I really liked the way you dealt with the gum graft experience, probably because that's how I always tended to be by nature and it is frustrating that I now over think and fret over stuff like this.
Of course I will let you all know how it goes, thanks again for the encouragement :)

So good to find people on here that are all in the same boat,think I'm going to need it with what I have coming up. :(

So good to find people on here that are all in the same boat,think I'm going to need it with what I have coming up. :(
I agree, it's amazing ?what have you got coming up? Is it on a thread on the forum? I would like to read it?

Well I was feeling resigned and happyish all day today as I was just glad to get it all over with. I rang the IV co-coordinator first thing to ask her if it was ok for me to wear yoga pants tomorrow for my sedation. The instruction leaflet they gave me said for to wear loose fitting clothing. I understand that wearing a t-shirt is best for them to be able to put the cuff on me for bp etc but I didn't know if it was mandatory to wear loose pants. She was busy so I left a message and didn't hear back which I thought odd as she is usually very prompt. I left work and went to my spa to get the nail polish off my rings finger on both hands so they can monitor my vitals with the oximeter. Came home, made coffee and checked my phone to see if the dental office had got back to me. Yes, I had a voicemail asking me to call my coordinator back urgently. Turns out all sedation appointments are cancelled tomorrow as the anaesthetist they use is stuck in Ontario airport because of bad weather and so I now have an appointment on March 13th. They asked me if I would be interested in taking a cancellation and I said yes. I was initially disappointed because obviously I'm all psyched up for it, but also I'm in pain with my jaw, been this way for a couple of months because of this temp bridge and really wanted to get this wrapped up-well another step closer-and it's disappointing but it is what it is...just rang my spa and they can do my nails tomorrow, do there's that...

Well, I realized yesterday that I'm just over a week away from my appointment, well 10 days anyway. I started to feel down again and had dark feelings, like something bad will happen. Sometimes, I just can't imagine that IV will work for me, and that I will have a horrible experience with it in some way. It's so hard to get those thoughts out of my mind when they visit. However, last night and this morning, I made a real effort to visualize myself in the middle of a road. Either side of me in the not too far distance was a scenario to choose from. I can either walk back to how I've been for several weeks now, where I am feeling ok, and even a bit excited, about the upcoming appointment. I visualize all the things I can look forward to when this is all over, Easter, my son's wedding, sunny days, a happier, relaxed me, proud of what I have achieved and happy with my smile. The other scenario is darker, it contains all the sad, negative and frightening thoughts and imaginings I had these for months before I started to come to terms with having this next appointment. It's depressing and uncomfortable; it's isolating and overwhelming. I don't want to walk over there but I feel I take a step forward towards it and then step back again. I wouldn't wish that type of anxiety on anyone. I went through a really anxious time with all these feelings last autumn and even ended up in the ER in November because of it. I thought I was having a heart attack, but-you guessed it-I was actually having a full blown panic attack.
I got up this morning feeling fine, but as the day went on, I felt some panicky feelings and even felt a little nauseous. I just got on with my day and played some of my favourite songs, and all the unpleasant sensations eventually passed, but I feel tired now.
I just want this appointment and the final appointment a few weeks after that, over with. Who doesn't though? I am clinging on to the hope that the thought of the IV sedation is going to be far worse than the actual event...I do appreciate the kind words and advice you have all sent to me so far, you are so kind :) Have a great weekend everyone!

Sending you good, calming thoughts! You’ve got this!

Well, I realized yesterday that I'm just over a week away from my appointment, well 10 days anyway. I started to feel down again and had dark feelings, like something bad will happen. Sometimes, I just can't imagine that IV will work for me, and that I will have a horrible experience with it in some way. It's so hard to get those thoughts out of my mind when they visit. However, last night and this morning, I made a real effort to visualize myself in the middle of a road. Either side of me in the not too far distance was a scenario to choose from. I can either walk back to how I've been for several weeks now, where I am feeling ok, and even a bit excited, about the upcoming appointment. I visualize all the things I can look forward to when this is all over, Easter, my son's wedding, sunny days, a happier, relaxed me, proud of what I have achieved and happy with my smile. The other scenario is darker, it contains all the sad, negative and frightening thoughts and imaginings I had these for months before I started to come to terms with having this next appointment. It's depressing and uncomfortable; it's isolating and overwhelming. I don't want to walk over there but I feel I take a step forward towards it and then step back again. I wouldn't wish that type of anxiety on anyone. I went through a really anxious time with all these feelings last autumn and even ended up in the ER in November because of it. I thought I was having a heart attack, but-you guessed it-I was actually having a full blown panic attack. I got up this morning feeling fine, but as the day went on, I felt some panicky feelings and even felt a little nauseous. I just got on with my day and played some of my favourite songs, and all the unpleasant sensations eventually passed, but I feel tired now. I just want this appointment and the final appointment a few weeks after that, over with. Who doesn't though? I am clinging on to the hope that the thought of the IV sedation is going to be far worse than the actual event...I do appreciate the kind words and advice you have all sent to me so far, you are so kind :) Have a great weekend everyone!
Hi,I know what you mean I have anxiety 24/7 guess it doesn't help not having any distractions (good ones that is) its very exhausting. Good luck hopefully it won't be as bad as what your thinking.

Hi,I know what you mean I have anxiety 24/7 guess it doesn't help not having any distractions (good ones that is) its very exhausting. Good luck hopefully it won't be as bad as what your thinking.
Hi Tazey,

Yes, anxiety can be so exhausting-im sorry you struggle with it so badly. Do you have generalized anxiety or is it just dental work that brings it on? I find it really important to keep as busy as I usually do, and to keep replacing those scary thoughts with calm, positive one's:)
Thanks for your good wishes and for taking the time to write. :)

I find it really important to keep as busy as I usually do, and to keep replacing those scary thoughts with calm, positive one's:)

Replacing thoughts intentionally is a great technique but requires quite a lot of discipline and energy and it is soooooo easy to just let the negative thoughts run and slide into anxiety. It's impressive and inspiring that you keep doing these techniques. :perfect:
Keep on going :claps:

Hi Tazey,

Yes, anxiety can be so exhausting-im sorry you struggle with it so badly. Do you have generalized anxiety or is it just dental work that brings it on? I find it really important to keep as busy as I usually do, and to keep replacing those scary thoughts with calm, positive one's:)
Thanks for your good wishes and for taking the time to write. :)

Well the doctor says its generalized anxiety I say its stress but it only started 5yrs ago when all the dental stuff came up,it clearly won't be going anytime soon wish I could keep busy.

Replacing thoughts intentionally is a great technique but requires quite a lot of discipline and energy and it is soooooo easy to just let the negative thoughts run and slide into anxiety. It's impressive and inspiring that you keep doing these techniques. :perfect:
Keep on going :claps:

You're so right; it takes a lot of practice and determination to conquer our thoughts, I'm really trying and though I don't always succeed, I'm doing better than I was.
Thank you friend, as always when you comment, you're so calming and empathetic.?

Back