• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Recovering Addict/Alcoholic with dental phobia

S

Shellie

I'm in addiction recovery and had not been to see a dentist in about 10 years. I woke up with horrible pain in a back tooth and somehow got up enough courage to go in for an exam...a HUGE step for me. Actually just picking up the phone to call was the hardest part! But I did it! I found out I needed 2 back teeth pulled and a bridge replacement and a crown! That's a lot of work! I called my sponsor to see if I could take nitrous for my anxiety and after we both researched it, decided it would be OK. After all, I can't really get nitrous from my old dealer haha! I made the first appointment for a week later immediately following my morning AA meeting which gave me courage. Got to the dentist nervous as hell and in tears! The sat me in the chair and said the dentist would be with me shortly. I sat there in a full anxiety attack for an HOUR AND A HALF! Finally the tech came by and I asked about the gas. She said she'd go check. 10 minutes later she came back, looked at me and said nonchalantly , "oh... I'm sorry our nitrous isn't working."
WHAATTTTT? I FREAKED OUT! LOL
She asked if I wanted to reschedule for another day, and I said, "you've got to be kidding me! It took every ounce of courage I could muster to get I. THIS CHAIR!!"
So I decided to just get the shots and get it yanked out. I'm telling you, honestly, it REALLY WASN'T TOO BAD! I felt no pain, and it only took like 15 seconds to get it out! I managed the little pain I had afterwards with 800 MG of ibuprofen. Day 3 and no pain whatsoever! I have another appt for an extraction with bridge replacement on the bottom rear and u better believe they will have the nitrous up when I go back! I think facing my fear truly made me stronger!

Wow Shellie, Great story and good for you for facing your fears and doing it and being stronger for it!! Thanks for sharing this!! its awesome.

Congratulations on your success! Hope all continues to go well for you. Very well done indeed. XX