• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally went, but still have concerns

P

Purpt505

Hi there, back in July 2017 I went to the dentist for the first time in around 15 years. (I am 24 years old) and was very nervous due to past problems when I was a kid. To be fair to my Dentist he seemed understanding but emphasised to me thatI should stick with it and my teeth would be back to normal in a few years.

I bottled the return appt where I was due some extractions and 15 fillings, as I just let my dental anxiety get the better of me. However, I did contact the Dentist well over 2 weeks prior to inform them that I was no longer attending.

So more time past, and last week I finally rang them back to get the ball rolling again. I saw the same Dentist yeserday, and he was so rude he made me feel so much more anxious than I already was! he was furious stating that I had wasted his time and another patient who could have had that slot (As i said before, I did cancel with notice...)

I would have thought that Dentists would have been extremely experienced with nervous patients, and not try to make them feel more stressed!! :scared:

He literally rushed through checking my teeth, and gave me barely any information. This is such a big thing for me trying to overcome this and finally get my teeth sorted out, but he has made this a lot harder. I have to go back in 2 weeks to have 2 extractions, and now 17 fillings.

My main concern is that he will still be angry at me, and I don't know maybe mess it up some how.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

thank you,
Dan

Last edited:
Hi Dan, I’m so sorry you experienced a rude and cruel dentist. Yes I have been where you are, and actually had to get through two appointments with two horrible cruel dentists before I found my keeper.
My advice to you is not to settle where you’re not comfortable. There are good dentists out there who have compassion and just want to get you to having a healthy mouth again without shaming you in the process. You are under no obligation to let that dentist in your mouth again and have every right to find one that you are comfortable with. All he should have done was welcome you back and do a proper cleaning and kept his despicable remarks to himself. You’re not the bad one in this story!

I am sorry as well for what you went through and I totally 2nd anxious! This is all it would take for me to be out the door , he seemed very rude with you . Personally I would not be comfortable with him doing work or having any patience. There are so many nice , kind and patient dentists out there who would be happy to help you in a more kind way. just my personal opinion but hope you find someone kind who can help!

Hi Dan,

thank you for sharing your experience with us and well done for having taken the huge step towards dental health and this even twice.

You described that the dentist being still angry at you was your main concern, but as Anxious and krlovesherkids suggest, the actual question to be asked is: do you really feel comfortable with this dentist and do you want to allow him to do any work? And will you feel being able to happily receive dental care long term after your current problems are fixed?

It's easy to feel 'motivated' as soon as the anxiety about dental problems gets bigger than the anxiety about visiting a dentist, but beating dental fear is not about going few times to get the dental work done. It's about finding a trusted dentist that knows how to put you at ease and helps you to get through the work AND to keep coming for regular checkups and cleanings. Making sure that every visit is a success is the way to get there.
Getting enough information and a good explanation about what your dentist would like to make happen, why and how, is an another point.

What you described doesn't fit there and I can hardly imagine that being treated by this dentist would be beneficial for your dental fear long term.

So again, I can only add to Anxious and krlovesherkids and give you the advice of not tolerating being treated this way and finding a lovely kind caring dentist who will treat you as equal.

An additional advice - when a lot of work needs to be done, it might be tempting (for you and for the dentist) to want to do as much as possible at once. For dental anxiety, on the other hand, it's usually better to rather do several short appointments so that you won’t get overwhelmed right at the start. If I were you, I would ask the kind caring dentist I would be working with, if he could separate the work a bit, at least for the initial appointments. This will depend on how urgent the dental work and on your concrete fears are, but if you managed to go through an intial exam and got too anxious about the actual work, then it sounds like there wasn't enough trust or that the work seemed too extenxive. Please correct me, if I am wrong.

All the best and let us know your thoughts:)

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the messages. 2 extractions of my molars tomorrow! Wish me luck!!

Good luck today, may they treat you kindly and gently. Let us know how it went.

I am sat at home with what was quite possibly the most traumatic experience of my life. My molar was that deteriorated, it took the dentist 15 minuites of pure bone crunching pressure on my jaw to extract. But it is out, i am very sore at the momen/t, currently cooking some scrammbled eggs in hope that it does not affect this horrendous ache any further! Any tips???

Now a couple of days have passed. Feeling better, a bit sore and bruised but keep taking ibruprofen with codeine and they knock me right out and stop the pain! Extraction point now has white and red in, not sure if the white is food or bone?! Anyone experienced this?

Second extraction of my molar on the right side of my mouth in just over a week, am i going to be able to eat on this left side by then?!

Now a couple of days have passed. Feeling better, a bit sore and bruised but keep taking ibruprofen with codeine and they knock me right out and stop the pain! Extraction point now has white and red in, not sure if the white is food or bone?! Anyone experienced this?

Second extraction of my molar on the right side of my mouth in just over a week, am i going to be able to eat on this left side by then?!

Your left side should be feeling much better by then. Hang in there I’m glad you are feeling a little bit better.

Throbbing pain 8 days after extraction.

xtraction

Hi there,

I am still taking pain killers, and experiencing blood in the mouth when I wake up each morning and it has now been 8 days since the extraction.

I am due to have my opposite molar on the other side of my mouth taken out in 5 days, but worry that i will still be in this pain at that point.

Is it normal to still feel a throbbing pain? is it normal to still have blood in the mouth?

thank you.

Re: Throbbing pain 8 days after extraction.

After 8 days bleeding should be done and you should be feeling better. Give your dentist a call.

Is there any particular reason why you can't change dentists? He sounds pretty rough (and rather unpleasant) from your description.

Is there any particular reason why you can't change dentists? He sounds pretty rough (and rather unpleasant) from your description.

Hear hear! Nobody should endure this ever. I dumped a nasty orthodontist in my teens after years of abuse from him (thankfully he is now dead) and went on to successfully complete the treatment with somebody far more competent and helpful. Good luck and we are all routing for you! XX

Hi, went to the dentist on my lunch break on thursday for a very quick appt the dentist was quickly able to identify that the extraction site was taking longer to heal than normal as it was a rough extraction. He put this dressing in the site - it was brown in colour and i beleieve it may have had clove oil on this. I cannot tell you how good it was to be releived of the throbbing pain that i had been experiencing for 10 days. Now, a few days later the dressing is still in the extraction site, but the throbbing pain has come back, and im gutted. Its now been 13 days since the extraction.... i have been using salt water every day, and have yet to attempt to eat on this side of my mouth... i do not understand why this is still throbbing.

In just 2 days i return to the dentist to have my molar on the opposite side out - i worry that i might not be able to eat for a month at this rate.

Has anyone still experienced pain 12 days following a molar extraction?

Back