• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom teeth extraction anxiety

H

Haidsuiss

I am going to have to get my wisdom teeth extracted soon and I am very nervous for it. My teeth are impacted and hurt a lot at night. I am scared that the anestesia won’t work on me as in the past I’ve responded badly to how it feels to go under. Any helpful tips or advice for me before I go? (Please no negative stories, I’m anxious enough as is)

Hi and welcome Haidsuiss,

of course no negative stories, you are in a safe place here :XXLhug: wisdom teeth are ok, I had mine out too and it was one of the quickest and easiest dental visits.

I am scared that the anestesia won’t work on me as in the past I’ve responded badly to how it feels to go under.

This sounds like you will get iv sedation for the procedure and also like you had a previous negative experience with it. Can you write a bit more about this?

Well in the past I’ve had a panic attack while under sedation, but I was also allergic to what they were giving me but whenever I hear about someone having to go under it makes me scared to feel the same way again

I just recently found out I’ll be getting general anesthesia which makes me the most nervous. What can I do to help understand this more. I am very scared for the recovery time as well. How will I feel afterwards?

Sorry to hear about your past experiences, I understand that you are nervous about the general anesthesia. I don't have any experience with general anesthesia and don't know how it works, but you should, like for any treatment of this kind, get an appointment with someone who can explain to you what exactly will happen. You should be given the information you need to understand the treatment and voice all your concerns.

I am going to have to get my wisdom teeth extracted soon and I am very nervous for it. My teeth are impacted and hurt a lot at night. I am scared that the anestesia won’t work on me as in the past I’ve responded badly to how it feels to go under. Any helpful tips or advice for me before I go? (Please no negative stories, I’m anxious enough as is)

As a kid, I didn't response to sedation (maybe it was even general anesthesia) as expected for a non-dental operation. Thankfully everything went well, I wasn't even scared or nervous during the operation and I got better from the operation.

A few years later, I was getting my wisdom teeth extracted and I was scared since that sedation I had a few years before didn't work and getting my wisdom teeth out wasn't something I wanted to be awake for. The day of the operation I was pretty nervous, but when the doctor started giving me the drugs by IV, I wasn't even able to finish the countdown from 10.

Please remember that the people doing those wisdom teeth extractions know exactly what they are doing and they know what to do in every scenario possible. Make sure you are comfortable with the doctor doing the work.

I also had general anesthesia for my wisdom teeth. Being the highest level of sedation the standards are pretty high and you really get the best of the best to do that type of work. The best person to answer your questions would be your anesthesiologist or their staff.

You mention you are scared for the recovery. To give you an idea, the evening of the day I got all my wisdom teeth out, I went to see a show and felt good enough. At the end of that week, I was playing golf. After getting the wisdom teeth out, I felt tired and just wanted to go to bed and sleep.

Thank you both very much, it really helps to talk to someone who knows what happens and it has almost completely demolished my fears.

I understand how you feel - I was anxious at first as well, but after talking with the doctor and going over the procedure I felt much better. If you're doing GA/IV sedation you will be out and will have nothing to worry about...you won't even remember the procedure itself. just follow instructions about after-care and take it easy. ;)

Thank you both very much, it really helps to talk to someone who knows what happens and it has almost completely demolished my fears.

Happy to hear that. Dental fear demolishment central :giggle:
Keep us posted.

Well I went to my appointment and it went terribly. I am allergic to something they gave me so they stopped the general and instead tried laughing gas but it did nothing. Now I have to go get tested for whatever I’m allergic to so they can figure out what they actually can give me

Well I went to my appointment and it went terribly. I am allergic to something they gave me so they stopped the general and instead tried laughing gas but it did nothing. Now I have to go get tested for whatever I’m allergic to so they can figure out what they actually can give me

You poor thing, was it general? that's the best IMHO so your asleep, Id rather that than Twilight. :cry:

So sorry to hear that.. Hope they soon find a solution. Keep us posted.

Back